PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Stand

Virgil Jordan
04-11-2007, 7:56 PM
I got a lot of good advice on how to build a stand for my Jet 1220 Mini so I thought I'd post a few Pictures of what I came up with.

The top is 1.5" of MDF mounted on 2x4 supports. The box underneath is filled with 150# of sand and through bolted to the legs. The feet stick out 12" wider than the top and the back edge of the top is bolted into the wall.
I still need to close in the legs, build a face frame and add some drawers.

Gary Herrmann
04-11-2007, 7:58 PM
Very nice. And I get to be the first to say "your shop is too clean."

Nancy Laird
04-11-2007, 8:55 PM
Yep, too clean. Bet he's never turned a thing!!

Nancy

Jim Becker
04-11-2007, 8:57 PM
Looks great, Virgil...now...get it dirty!!! :D

Christopher K. Hartley
04-11-2007, 9:00 PM
Yep, too clean. Bet he's never turned a thing!!NancyYou are hard woman!:D Cut the guy some slack! Nah! on second thought let'er rip. Your right, he does need at least some dust somewhere in there.:)
Virgil, all kidding aside. you did a very nice job on that bench, actually all those benches. Now let's git'er dirty!!:eek: :D

Nancy Laird
04-11-2007, 9:44 PM
You are hard woman!:D Cut the guy some slack!

Gary said it first!

It is a nice lathe stand. If I had a permanent place to put mine, that plan would be a consideration.

Nancy

Gordon Seto
04-11-2007, 9:44 PM
Very functional and Clean set up.
One thing bothers me other than the super cleanliness is the missing of the guards on grinder.
I assume everyone is wearing some safety glasses or face shield when using the grinder. I don't think I would have as much concern if they were cloth buffing wheels. I just wonder what are the chances of a internal fractured wheel explodes at even the 1750 r.p.m. slow speed? I don't understand the reasoning for exposing to extra risk by removing the guards?

Gordon

David Little
04-11-2007, 10:10 PM
The stand looks great. You are the first I've noticed on SMC that mentioned they have the new Jet 1220. Have you used it yet? I'm sure a number of us would be interested in your review of the lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
04-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Very nice Virgil. Now get the thing dirty. :eek::rolleyes::cool:

Virgil Jordan
04-12-2007, 3:53 PM
If you all saw the other side of the shop you wouldn't think it's so clean!!! I have a table saw, I'm just not sure exactly where it's at under all the rubble.

I haven't turned anything yet since I just finished getting the lathe set up. I'm not sure how usefull my opinion of the lathe will be because I'm just a novice turner. If there are any Creekers that are living near Brooksville, Florida they'd be more than welcome to come over and give it a try. They could so a write up on it that had a lot more meaning.

Paul Engle
04-12-2007, 4:33 PM
Nice work Virgil, great idea putting the grinder next to the lathe saves a lot of steps,

Gary Herrmann
04-12-2007, 6:11 PM
Gary said it first!

Nancy

Did not! They made me say it!

Jim Young
04-12-2007, 7:29 PM
Very nice. And I get to be the first to say "your shop is too clean."
First time he finishes a project on the lathe the wall will be nice and broke in.:D

Nancy Laird
04-12-2007, 7:46 PM
Did not! They made me say it!

"They" who????:confused: :confused: Must have been the gremlins.:rolleyes: :D :eek:

Nancy

Gary Herrmann
04-12-2007, 8:18 PM
"They" who????:confused: :confused: Must have been the gremlins.:rolleyes: :D :eek:

Nancy

Just those people I carry around in m head. Don't you have any?

Nancy Laird
04-12-2007, 8:21 PM
Oh! Those people! Yep, I have them too. And, like you, they make me say things--and sometimes get me in trouble.:eek:

Are we still in trouble, Gary? :p

Nancy

Gary Herrmann
04-12-2007, 9:29 PM
[quote=Nancy Laird;566656]Oh! Those people! Yep, I have them too. And, like you, they make me say things--and sometimes get me in trouble.:eek:

Are we still in trouble, Gary? :p

Nancy[/quote

Pretty much always

Pat Salter
04-12-2007, 11:22 PM
First time he finishes a project on the lathe the wall will be nice and broke in.:D

Is that "broke in" or "broken"?????:eek:

Stephen Hibbs
04-13-2007, 12:06 AM
I like that set-up you have there. I have a question though, not so much for you as others: Do you like to get in really close to the lathe and lean over it sometimes when working deep in a bowl? I ask this because it seems like that would be hard to do when the table is slightly wider than a stock lathe stand and there is a wall on the other side blocking you from sticking an elbow out. Maybe this is a unique ability for me since the lathe stand I have only brings my lathe up to a little above my waist area, so sometimes I need to lean down and over for the leverage.

George Tokarev
04-13-2007, 8:35 AM
I like that set-up you have there. I have a question though, not so much for you as others: Do you like to get in really close to the lathe and lean over it sometimes when working deep in a bowl? I ask this because it seems like that would be hard to do when the table is slightly wider than a stock lathe stand and there is a wall on the other side blocking you from sticking an elbow out. Maybe this is a unique ability for me since the lathe stand I have only brings my lathe up to a little above my waist area, so sometimes I need to lean down and over for the leverage.

It's a matter of the tool you use and the limitations imposed by that tool. If you're the type who likes to "wing it" rather than use the gouge section available in other profiles, you may have problems. The gouge extends your arm quite a bit, so if you use different gouges you can rest them firmly and run from rim to base while standing upright, following the cut on the opposite side.

Clip showing a "bowl" gouge for initial surfacing, then a broad-section forged gouge used for peeling. In this case, with the straight rest, I should have readjusted, but my videographer was an impatient spouse, so I didn't get out the curved rest to control overhang. http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/?action=view&current=Inside.flv With the curved rest the distance to the wall of the bowl is diminished, and the bunching of shavings concealing the cut that you get a hint of near the bottom can be a constant thing on a steeper bowl, making a stoop and look worthless anyway.

Lee DeRaud
04-13-2007, 10:36 AM
I like that set-up you have there. I have a question though, not so much for you as others: Do you like to get in really close to the lathe and lean over it sometimes when working deep in a bowl? I ask this because it seems like that would be hard to do when the table is slightly wider than a stock lathe stand and there is a wall on the other side blocking you from sticking an elbow out. Maybe this is a unique ability for me since the lathe stand I have only brings my lathe up to a little above my waist area, so sometimes I need to lean down and over for the leverage.I'm just a semi-novice, but it would drive me crazy not to be able to stand at the tailstock end of the lathe while doing the inside of bowls. If that were my setup, the grinder would be on the left and the stand would only be about 2" wider than the lathe...that would open up a hole to the right of the lathe. The wall behind it is a whole 'nother matter: I can't tell from the pictures whether the stand is deep enough for that to be an issue.