PDA

View Full Version : Snipe on Mini-Max F35 planer

Dan Forman
04-11-2007, 7:11 PM
I recently started getting some snipe on the planer section of my MMFS 35 Smart jointer/planer, where previously there was none. Working with softwood, I was able to eliminate the snipe on both ends of a board. But going to oak, the snipe returned on both ends. I was able to dial it out from the trailing end by adjusting the spring tension of the outfeed rollers, but I can't loose the last .003" of snipe on the leading end of an oak board no matter how much the springs are tightened. Lifting the board a little off the table as it's going in also has no effect.

I measured the relative distance of the outfeed roller (closest to table) and the other components by placing a block of wood on the table, then raising the table until the block contacted the outfeed roller. From there used a feeler gauge to measure the gap between the block and the edge of the blade, which was .022", and the gap for the infeed roller, which was .0045".

Should the infeed roller and outfeed roller be the same distance relative to the blade and table? Could that be what's causing my problem? If so, then I would think that shimming the outfeed roller would even them out.

I have been talking to Mini-Max, but we only talked about adjusting the rollers, and they are closed now. I would appreciate any help on this, as I have already generated quite a pile of wood chips, and I can't afford to pull out any more of ever dwindling hair follicles.

Dan