PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Plans

Ken Salisbury
12-26-2003, 1:19 PM
I have numerous shop improvement projects on my "Shop To-Do List" one of which is to replace my current router table (which leaves a lot to be desired).

I plan on making a roll around cabinet using solid black walnut. I looked at Norm Abrams' plan which looks pretty nice (and would look even better in walnut :D ). Since I already have 8 routers I will probably use one of the existing ones (but ya never know). Routers are kinda like clamps - ya can't have too many of them).

Any suggestions on available plans would be appreciated. Any noted pitfalls would also be appreciated.

Jim Stastny
12-26-2003, 11:25 PM
Ken,

With your talents and abilities I figure you could easily look at a number of different router tables, decide which features you think are the best on each one, then design your own.

Ken Salisbury
12-27-2003, 12:00 AM
Ken,

With your talents and abilities I figure you could easily look at a number of different router tables, decide which features you think are the best on each one, then design your own.

That is one option I am considering. In any event whatever plan I decide on will most likely get some modifications made to it.

David Rose
12-27-2003, 12:45 AM
Hi, Ken. Aside from an HRT sort of like yours, I built the Router Magic tilt top table. I really like the tilting top and the size is nice too. I have a Dewalt 625 under the table with a Router Raizer for top adjustments. I attached the router directly to the table and used Rousseau rings since I planned to leave the router in place. And I don't really like pulling the router to change bits. That is where the tilt top is really nice. Lift, lock, change the bit, set coarse and/or fine adjustment and let 'er down and you are ready to go. All adjustments can be done from the top or just the fine tuning. A bent wrench might work but on some large panel raisers, which don't clear the cutout, it would be tough with this setup. Dust control is through the fence and through the cabinet. It works well with my very inadequate DC. I built a massive micro adjustable fence combining ideas from both Hylton and Warner. I installed levellers in the legs instead of casters, but either should work. I don't think Hylton included either.

What I don't like about the table was that mine sagged. Leaving the router mounted all the time caused several thou sag around the opening. I reinforced it with angle iron and it is super now. The top support hinged mounting screw broke a while back, but did it lifting and not while supported... fortunately. :eek: I also don't really like the switch. It requires some "feeling around" to find it. But I've no better idea for it.

You probably don't need detailed plans like RM gives, but I did when I built the table and cabinet. They are excellent hand holding plans with every detail carefully done. Before you build one, if you don't have the book, you ought to look at it at a book store or library. Bill has really covered some details and features.

This pic was before the drawers were done. I can take "after" pics, if you want more. Excuse the pic quality.

David

I have numerous shop improvement projects on my "Shop To-Do List" one of which is to replace my current router table (which leaves a lot to be desired).

I plan on making a roll around cabinet using solid black walnut. I looked at Norm Abrams' plan which looks pretty nice (and would look even better in walnut :D ). Since I already have 8 routers I will probably use one of the existing ones (but ya never know). Routers are kinda like clamps - ya can't have too many of them).

Any suggestions on available plans would be appreciated. Any noted pitfalls would also be appreciated.

G.C. Wagner
12-27-2003, 8:22 AM
Ken,

Have you looked at the Jointech router table plan? It should look great in walnut.

Gerry

Jim Young
12-27-2003, 7:47 PM
Like David, I built the Router Magic table. Unlike David, I don't care for the tilting top. The table was my first effort at mortise and tennons and it worked out OK. The table can be built out of scrap wood except for the top. Let's see if I can post a pic.

http://www.shoptours.org/member2/jyrtdrill.jpg

I do not lift the top since I can't get the seal to stay. To change the bits I just open the front door and remove the plate. That works a littler easire since I don't have any sort of router raiser.

Mike Kelly
12-28-2003, 12:00 AM
Ken, a book, "Build Your Own Router Tables" by John McPherson is a very good reference. I used his Contractor's Router Table as a reference and modified it quite a bit and made one a few years ago. I have added dust collection under the table a couple of years ago when I got my big sucker.

Here are a few pictures, front, bit drawer, and rear dust collection attachments. I still use my shop vac on the fence.

Mike Kelly
12-28-2003, 12:06 AM
For some reason the pictures didn't attach. I think they were too big...

This should work better....

Don Stanley
12-31-2003, 9:05 PM
I am currently building Norm's router table. I have all the carcus pieces cut, and just finished cutting the drawer cleats.

The plans are easy to follow. It would have been helpful if they had included a cutting plan for the 1/2" cabinet-grade plywood drawer parts.

There is one nit-pick problem with the cutting diagram for the 2nd sheet of the cabinet material (unless I read the drawing incorrectly). The grain direction for the back runs horizontal; I think it should run vertical like the sides. I'm building my cabinet out of Oak. Since it's the back, it's going to stay that way!

I want to make it mobil, but have not decided what the best approach is.

There was a post on WoodNet from a user that is/or plans to use the fence design from ShopNotes #69. I'm a little concerned about the durability of "T" nuts in MDF.

Hope this information is helpful.

-Don

Daniel Rabinovitz
01-02-2004, 2:32 PM
Ken
Here is a photo of Norm Abrams old router table on wheels, that I use.
Daniel

Mike Kelly
01-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Ken
Here is a photo of Norm Abrams old router table on wheels, that I use.
Daniel

Serious looking wheels Daniel! Looks like it could go off-roading. Great job. I like all of the "attachments".

Daniel Rabinovitz
01-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Mike
There are two reasons for the large wheels.
First, I have to work outside in the fresh air.
Second, There is no room in the garage.
I have had an offer to mount a 327 in it!
Daniel

Serious looking wheels Daniel! Looks like it could go off-roading. Great job. I like all of the "attachments".