PDA

View Full Version : Can't get nut on easily after using Stacked dado

Kenny King
04-11-2007, 6:43 PM
I have an 8" stacked dado set I picked at a woodworking show in PA made by ridge carbide. It seems like a decent set. I had one of the chippers reground for no cost since it wasn't quite even with the others in the set.

Anyhow... after using the dado set, I have trouble getting my saw blade back on. The trouble is in getting the arbor nut tightened. I have to come up with alot of creative was to bind the arbor to I can get the nut tightened on my 10" blade.

It's a new general international contractor's saw, 50-185 left tilt, and I would guess that arbor is a decent quality.

I've tried tightening the heck out of the nut when I put the dado on, and this seems to help a little. I still have to work pretty hard to get my 10" blade back on.

Has anyone else had this problem with stacked dados? If so, is it something that will work itself out as the arbor gets worn down a little? I haven't heard anyone mention this problem on this sight yet. Hopefully, I won't be left whistling in the dark.

Thanks for listening,
- Ken

Ted Miller
04-11-2007, 7:23 PM
Kenny, I have heard of few guys who after using a dado stack had a problem with their arbors. I think the dados got over tightened and stripped the arbor a bit. Can you see any striped threads? So far I have only heard of this happening with a few contractors saws...

Ron Blaise
04-11-2007, 7:23 PM
with the stack? Sometimes small slices of the shim material will get lodged in the threads, although I've never experienced your condition on my arbor.

Doug Shepard
04-11-2007, 7:52 PM
You might try putting some 400 or 600 grit Wet-Dry paper around a 1/2" dowel and run it through the dado stack holes a few times. I'm guessing there might be a bit of a burr on one or more of them that might be scarring up the arbor thread.

Jim Becker
04-11-2007, 8:15 PM
Also try blowing out the acme threads with compressed air after you remove the dado stack... ;)

Howard Acheson
04-11-2007, 8:51 PM
Are you able to tighten the nut so that there are at least three threads in the nut when using the maximum width dado?

Kenny King
04-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the responses. I have plenty of turns on the nut for the dado, ie., way more than 3, but thanks for pointing out that possibiliy. It sounds like there might be a burr on the chippers or latent chips in the threads after taking that dado off. I

I'll give that a try. This website rocks!

- Ken