PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of sapwood

Richard M. Wolfe
04-11-2007, 5:36 PM
First of all, hello to everyone. I got registered a couple days ago and have made a reply to one post but thought I would open a thread and say hello by way of this question.

A couple years ago I was given a nice chunk of Texas ebony about 12" by 20" that I think would make a nice natural form piece (lamp base or whatever). The guy I got it from said he had had it for about 15 years so it's well seasoned. It doesn't have any bark but the sapwood is still on and I would like any opinions on getting rid of it and marking or scarring the heartwood as little as possible. The sapwood is nothing like the heartwood; it's light colored and fairly soft. On and off over the past few months I've tried a hand chisel (not much headway), air chisel (a lot of racket with little results) an angle grinder (a lot of dust with little results). The sapwood is tight to the heart and won't peel from there. The only thing I have thought of that I haven't tried is sandblasting with maybe walnut or pecan hulls. Do you think that might work or anyone have any other suggestions? Like maybe bury it in the back yard for a year or tie it behind my pickup and drive to Dallas? :) Thanks for any replies.

Richard

I feel kinda like a snob putting my middle intial in but I notice there's another Richard Wolf (without my "e") that posts a good bit and hope it'll help avoid confusion. My bio: Sold stuff at a craft mall for several years and if nothing else that's taught me that I never want to make another heart cutout. Right now I'm in the process of setting up a wood operation with a friend. We have a Woodmizer LT-40 and have about finished a 40'x60' building to process lumber and build stuff and are going to put in a kiln pretty soon (I hope, anyway). I'm about 60 miles southwest of Fort Worth, TX so you know what that means - mesquite and pecan.

Ian Abraham
04-11-2007, 6:32 PM
Hand tool approach you could use a spokeshave and trim away the sapwood. Take a while but it's nice and peacefull.

Power tools - get yourself one of these puppies for your angle grinder :cool:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1846

Heaps of noise and flying sawdust, but it will remove wood like magic :D

Cheers

Ian

Jim King
04-11-2007, 6:38 PM
Why not use the sapwood/heartwood combination ?

Dan Drager
04-11-2007, 6:55 PM
I'm with Jim. The contrast is beautiful.

Richard Wolf
04-11-2007, 7:01 PM
One way to help with the confusion is to use a avaitar. I'm the old grumpy one anyway. Welcome to the creek.

Richard

thomas prevost
04-11-2007, 9:14 PM
Welcome aboard. You will learn a lot on this forum. I know I learn something new everyday from members like your name sake. He is not as grumpy as he makes out.
Lotsa luck with the LT 40. Hope it is full hydrolyics. Turner is a must for hardwoods.

Richard M. Wolfe
04-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies:

Ian, a spokeshave would work just so far on this piece something like that on what I can get at as the piece has a couple pretty deep fissures. But you sent a link of what I am going to try getting my hands on - the carver for the angle grinder. A lot of people like a natural edge on mesquite and the sapwood has to come off because of powder post beetles. I know some people use it and try to seal it but the slightest opening and they're in....and may already be in when you make something of the wood.

Jim, beautiful turning. I don't think it would work well for this piece, though, as it is elongated and two sides would be devoid of sapwood in a round form but will keep that in mind for another piece.

Richard, thanks for the welcome. Old and grumpy, huh? Don't know about the grumpy part but I have you beat on "days of our lives" by one year and five days. Don't know about an avatar....something to do with scaring little children and puppies.

Thomas, unfortunately the mill is manual. My friend is the one who runs it - he's in his thirties, six foot two and stout. He has a job lined up for Oklahoma next week milling walnut and the guy says they are up to five feet diameter - don't know how many. We have one pecan waiting here with about a six foot butt. That's where a Sthil with a four foot bar and ripping chain comes in. Me?....I'm the gofer that offloads.

Jeffrey Makiel
04-12-2007, 6:59 AM
Richard M., welcome to the forum.

Lot's of good advice and interesting projects. For example, if you want to see some sweet staircase work, check out the post from the 'other' Sawmill Creek's Richard Wolf.

By the way Jim, those turnings look great! What a clever use of contrasting heartwood/sapwood.

-Jeff :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-12-2007, 8:46 AM
Sam Maloof uses sapwood in his chair seats.
It seems to work for him so long as he can convince himself that it's pretty.

Does it look ugly??

Jim Becker
04-12-2007, 9:27 AM
Welcome aboard, Richard!

I'm also going to suggest you celebrate the sap, especially on a natural edge or similar piece. Although it may be more distracting in say, a perfectly rectangular table top, things like lamps and other decorative items really can be stepped up a notch with the addition of such contrast. This is a lesson that turners learned long ago... ;)