PDA

View Full Version : Special Order Light Choices

George Tokarev
04-11-2007, 5:20 PM
Got a call yesterday eve for a couple of salad bowls, "not sure" what wood or dimension. Nice to get the order, but got to have a choice by Monday. These I cut today. They're the light pair. Hard maple and yellow birch. Tomorrow a cherry to sit beside the red oak for a "dark" pair. The servers will need all the time to dry, but they'll be ready too.
12.5 maple, 14.25 birch.

Time to start dinner.

Steve Schlumpf
04-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Beautiful bowls George! What do you plan on using for a finish?

Benjamin Dahl
04-12-2007, 6:31 AM
george, I really like the form. I like the birch a lot and look forward to seeing them finished.
Ben

George Tokarev
04-13-2007, 8:51 AM
Cut the cherry yesterday morning, as well as a piece that was next to it on the rack that struck my fancy. Walnut oiled the trio after performing snow removal after noon. Will steel wool after cure and second coat. I do three "sets" of the fibers with water on salad bowls to minimize what the customer will experience with just an oil finish. One after the 220, one between 320s and before the 400.

The soft maple shallow bowl has a stray oil spot (oops) on it, but now I have to decide if I want to go dark or stay light. May set him back on the lathe for a burnish to see what light will look like. Lots of chores today, though.

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2007, 9:52 AM
Those are beauties George. I like'em all. Nice job.