PDA

View Full Version : Dust Extraction

James Phillips
04-11-2007, 1:42 PM
I have a Jet 1100 cfm dust collector with the 2 micron filter canister. I also have a shop built air cleaner. It is a squirrel cage fan (1/2 hp I think) capable of around 1000 cfm (I think). I am thinking of changing my set up to remove the filter and just exaust it outside. My plan to to cut a hole in my small shop door and install a dryer vent and duct it out that way. I also plan to duct the input side to a collection poiint over my TS and a moveable hood for my other tools and sanding jobs. That would allow me to collect at the source of the dust. Any ideas or comments are welcome....

Jim Becker
04-11-2007, 2:27 PM
Do understand that if you vent directly outside, you'll be sending heated/cooled air out during the representative seasons.

Also, the squirrel cage setup is great for an ambient air filter to collect fines (after the fact), but it's not appropriate for direct collection of chips and larger dust. You'll still need to use the DC1100 for that.

Wilbur Pan
04-11-2007, 2:34 PM
Not to mention that you might have to deal with neighbors that are upset with your dust drifting over their property, if any.

Having said that, exhausting air to the outside is the best way to clear out dust, and will be much more efficient than even the best DC/cyclone/air filter setup.

I would exhaust air outside my workshop if I could. Unfortunately, I'm not really able to.

James Phillips
04-11-2007, 3:52 PM
I still plan to use my DC1100 to collect at the tools, this would be just to collect fine stuff. My shop is not climate controlled so no worries there. Finally here in the mid west it is windy enough and my neighbors are far enough away that it should not cause a problem, especially since we are only talking the fines from a hobiest shop. Thanks for the input. Do you think 2 collection points will be sufficient?