PDA

View Full Version : What Happened This Morning?

Raymond Overman
04-11-2007, 1:37 PM
Someone spill beer on the server again?

Anyway, sorry I haven't posted lately. I've been a little busy traveling and trying to get a new shelter built on the side of my shop (gloat #1). I hope to get it finished this weekend and will post pics. Papa's coming down to help me so it should be quick work and a lot of fun.

I also wanted to throw in a second gloat (and through that a third stealth gloat). I made the local paper today. Wood turner featured online (http://www.fortmilltimes.com/local/story/6460109p-5754421c.html)

Joyce Baldauf
04-11-2007, 1:47 PM
Congratulation, Ray, neat article.

Keith Outten
04-11-2007, 1:54 PM
Raymond,

We retired our old server this morning. Aaron Koehl our System Administrator shut down both machines last night in order to transfer all the necessary files, database and to move the servers IP address from the old server to the new one. The outage was extended and at this point we don't know exactly what happened but we think our Internet Provider has some equipment that had to adjust/migrate to the new Mac Address...in fact two Mac Addresses since our new server has two high speed eithernet ports. There was a time period that the new server was not accessible, even to our Administrator.

Aaron has announced that he still has much to do to complete the transition and some very short outages may be necessary. Most will be less than 30 seconds each over the course of several days as he dots the I's and crosses the T's.

Dennis Peacock
04-11-2007, 1:55 PM
Welcome back Raymond..!!!
Very nice article...and CONGRATS on getting noticed and published. :D

Mark Pruitt
04-11-2007, 2:10 PM
HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Peach_NE_Finished.JPG) is Raymond's NE proudly displayed at wikipedia.com!

Congratulations, Raymond!

Pete Jordan
04-11-2007, 2:23 PM
Welcome Back Raymond!

I have fond memories of playing the Tega Cay golf course when my friends used to live their. I never did get the red clay out of my pants. Too bad they moved to Florida.

Raymond Overman
04-11-2007, 2:31 PM
Keith,

Being an IT guy I understood what you said. To paraphrase for the layman: "It was an infrastructure issue and you have your top engineers working on it. You will let us know when the issue is resolved and hope that it isn't too much of an inconvenience. (No, Bob didn't spill beer on the server again)"

Pete,

Anytime you feel like you need to play Tega Cay, let me know when you're coming down. I'm not nearly as good at golf as I am at turning, which means I'm a real bad hack, but I like to play occasionally.

Steve Schlumpf
04-11-2007, 2:40 PM
Congrats Ray! Great article and quite the honor to be displayed on wikipedia! Hope to see you posting more often!

Tom Sherman
04-11-2007, 4:18 PM
That's cool Raymond, another celebrity in our midst. Congratulations

Keith Outten
04-11-2007, 4:24 PM
Ray,

:)

Jonathon Spafford
04-11-2007, 6:14 PM
Way to go! Congratulations! Good to see ya posting again, too!

Mike Turkley
04-11-2007, 7:00 PM
Congratulations Ray! It's good to see another South Carolinian on here.

IT guy here also, so I know about changing servers. Matter of fact I replaced one last week. You hope for a smooth changeover, but It doesn't always go the way you plan. My hat is off to you folks that take care of the Creek systems. Not that I actually wear a hat, but you get the meaning.:D

MikeT

Bernie Weishapl
04-11-2007, 7:27 PM
Congrats Raymond. Way to go.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-11-2007, 8:55 PM
Way to go Raymond, a great article. You're putting our craft on the map!!:eek: :D :)

Jeff Cybulski
04-11-2007, 9:07 PM
Congats Ray and welcome back!!