PDA

View Full Version : Keller DT jig-Your opinion??

Jerry Olexa
04-11-2007, 1:11 PM
Have opportunity to buy a used Keller DT jig w 2 Alum plates. Its a clamp on type that does through dovetails and can also be used in a router table. Understand it'll handle unlimited lengths. Believe its a #1600 Pro series. Any pros or cons?? Meeting with him tommorrow PM. It doesn't do variable spacing like a Leigh and I think only goes up to 3/4" stock. He also has a Fein vacuum? LMK your thoughts. Thanks

Paul Johnstone
04-11-2007, 1:25 PM
I just bought the plastic version. I haven't had time to try it out yet, but it seems like a great solution for dovetailing large pieces. It also seems extremely quick.

Here's a great review:

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/keller.htm

The guy also compares and contrasts the Keller with other dovetail jigs if you poke around his site.

Jim Becker
04-11-2007, 2:29 PM
The Keller is very well regarded for through dovetails.

Jerry Olexa
04-11-2007, 2:31 PM
I just bought the plastic version. I haven't had time to try it out yet, but it seems like a great solution for dovetailing large pieces. It also seems extremely quick.

Here's a great review:

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/keller.htm

The guy also compares and contrasts the Keller with other dovetail jigs if you poke around his site.

Thanks Paul... Very good info. Already in my "favorites" file.

Nick Tuzzolino
04-11-2007, 3:05 PM
I've used the Keller aluminum set for several years and love it. Once set up, virtually bulletproof as far as accuracy goes. I also have two Fein vacs (in addition to a dust collection system), tops in my opinion.

Jerry Olexa
04-11-2007, 10:07 PM
My research shows a thread of one of its strongest points is "ease of use" (fast set up..no test runs needed). Unlimited width of material it can handle also is appealing. Wish It also did variable spacing. Seems to be overall well rated. Thanks. I'll probably go for it..

Steve Roxberg
04-11-2007, 10:20 PM
My research shows a thread of one of its strongest points is "ease of use" (fast set up..no test runs needed). Unlimited width of material it can handle also is appealing. Wish It also did variable spacing. Seems to be overall well rated. Thanks. I'll probably go for it..

Jerry,

I have owned both the Journey man version and the pro 16 version. I recently sold mine because I upgraded to a Leigh Jig. If you buy one, you will be very happy.

You state the you wished it did variable spacing, it can and does do variable spacing. It just wouldn't be considered the best, eastiest, or fastest way to do variable spacing. You basically end up adjusting the placement manually of the template on each board. But it can be done, with excellent end results. The process is just slow and certainly not suited for production work. But if you do this to relax and as a hobby you wouldn't be limited.

It also doesn't have a length limit but then again you will be manually repositioning the template along the length.

If you have specific questions please ask, I'll do my best to answer them.

On the Fein you will be very happy. I own both a Fein Turbo II and a Festool CT22. If I had to keep one it would be the Fein, I like it better. The Festool is excellent, but the Fein is better IMHO.

Enjoy.

Paul Johnstone
04-12-2007, 10:15 AM

I think you can do variable spacing but it's kind of "manual".. in other words, cut what you want with the dovetail bit, and then mark the mating piece (as you would with handcut), and then line it up on the straight bit cutter.. Or obviously, you could just route every other pin. Not very user friendly, but possible. EDIT: I see that Steve gave a better explanation above.

I have a jointech system for the "fancy pants" decorative dovetails.. I was looking for something for a blanket chest, and this seemed to be the ticket.

Jerry Olexa
04-12-2007, 2:01 PM
Steve and Paul: Your comments make sense. It might be a little longer but you can do your own spacing manually (with a little patience). Thanks for your insight!!

Robert Strasser
04-12-2007, 5:08 PM
I use the Keller "upside down" on my router table. I installed a track on the bottom so I could use an edge stop. Makes work go faster if you have multiple cuts to make. Very easy to use with consistent results.

Jerry Olexa
04-12-2007, 9:37 PM
Bought the Keller 1601 a few hours ago. Just watched the video and looking forward to a few test runs over the weekend. Also bought a PC ROS as part of the deal. Thanks for your inputs...

Jerry Thompson
04-12-2007, 10:12 PM
I have used the Keller jig a little. I am a klutz when it comes to using anything the first several times. My question is how does one use it on a project that is longer than the jig? It would seem the spacing would be off on the end as the jig is centered on the board that is up to the jigs length.
Jerry T.

Jerry Olexa
04-14-2007, 3:15 PM
Made a few test cuts today. Fast, easy set up. EASY to use and simple operation w the 2 template jigs. A pleasure to use compared to my 1/2 blind Dt jig. Happy with the purchase...Thanks again