PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Lidded Vessel...

Corey Hallagan
04-10-2007, 7:25 PM
This is my first turning in awhile. I didn't know what this was going to be when I put this 5 x 7 chunk of cherry on the lathe. After roughing it round I went for a hollowed vessel. Not sure what you would really call it. Quite a chore hollowing it with nothing but scrapers. Decided to make a walnut lid with a finial on it. Not sure I like the lid but overall I am happy with it. One of my better pieces I think and my first real hollow form. About 4 1/4 inches at it's widest and 9 inches tall with the finial.

Thanks for looking!

Corey

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/CherryHF1.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/CherryHF2.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/CherryHF3.jpg

Bob Noles
04-10-2007, 7:28 PM
OMG..... Corey, that is spectacular!

Great job on both the form and the finish.

Scrapers huh? You sure Bernie did not loan you his new HF tools? :p ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
Corey....That's a beauty!.......I'll bet that was an arm banger hollowing that!

Jim Becker
That's a cute litte hollow form, Corey! And if you're not sure about the current lid/final...turn a few more and pick the one you like the best.

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2007, 8:26 PM
Corey - great looking HF! Really like the form and also the little burn detail on the lip. Real nice! Not 100% sure about the top/finial. Have to agree with Jim in that it might be nice to have a few options as to what style fits the form the best. Have fun with it...Nice work!

Keith Burns
04-10-2007, 8:44 PM
Corey, I'm glad to see you posting again. Seems like it's been forever. Anyway that is a great HF, great form. I don't dislike the lid but like has been said you could turn a few and then take your pick.

Nancy Laird
04-10-2007, 9:00 PM
Corey, I LOVE this vessel. The grain is beautiful. I'm not sure I like the lid. It looks too much like a Christmas tree to me. Something more delicate would look better, IMHO. We all know I'm no expert, but I know what I like when I see it.:rolleyes:

Nancy

Mark Pruitt
04-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Looks great, Corey!

Bernie Weishapl
04-11-2007, 1:05 PM
Corey that is a real beauty. I really like the contrasting woods. Beautiful job especially for doing it with scrapers.

Tom Sherman
04-11-2007, 4:06 PM
Corey that is quite a nice HF, great job of hollowing with those scrapers.

Jonathon Spafford
04-11-2007, 6:07 PM
Wow... nice piece! Looks real pretty with a nice warm finish! I also agree that the lid may be a bit bulky for this piece. Maybe you could play around with different styles as Jim suggested.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-11-2007, 6:30 PM
I think you did REAL GOOD!! I like the contrast and super hollowing job for just scrapers.:)

Corey Hallagan
04-11-2007, 6:45 PM
Thanks all! I personally like it better all together without the top and Nancy you nailed it... looks Christmas Treeish. The wife however, loves it and now it is in her care, custody and control so on to the next one! Thanks again guys!
Keith that's what happens when you take on a big project like a kitchen remodel. It's become a ball and chain and between work and traveling it is slow going.

Corey

Neal Addy
04-12-2007, 12:49 AM
This is your first HF? Very nice work, Corey! Beautiful form.

Chris Barton
04-12-2007, 5:49 AM
Looks nice Corey! Show us more...

Corey Hallagan
04-12-2007, 8:45 AM
Thanks Chris! Might get a chance this weekend to turn an item or two!

Corey