PDA

View Full Version : Finishing recommendations

Mike Marmon
04-10-2007, 6:53 PM
Greetings All;
I have turned the Walnut HF / Vase below and not sure what the best finish is for a piece with so much bark? My initial thought was danish oil the whole thing then poly gel on the non-bark sections. I don't recall seeing other pieces with this much bark left on.

This started out as a log from my wifes uncles orchard in central CA. It is the first real HF that I have turned. Used the Sorby Hollow Master, It was quite the experience. It is 8 inches tall by 6 inches at the widest part.

Thanks in advance for you feedback.
Mike

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2007, 8:38 PM
Mike - nice looking vase! I am surprised that you haven't gotten some advice yet. I've never made anything with that much bark left on it yet - so can only offer a suggestion without having any actual experience to back it up - and that would be to coat it a couple of times using a brush and lots of danish oil. Should enhance and protect the wood.

Mark Pruitt
04-11-2007, 12:58 PM
I would BLO it if it were mine. I think the soft satin look of BLO would compliment the "natural" areas nicely.

Bernie Weishapl
04-11-2007, 1:03 PM
Ditto what Mark said. Nice looking vase.

George Tokarev
04-11-2007, 5:11 PM
Shellac. Easy, sturdy and you can leave the bark rough and polish the smooth sections for contrast.