PDA

View Full Version : Need info on developing slide film.

Pete Lamberty
12-26-2003, 10:08 AM
Hi, I need to get slide film developed really quick. In the Chicago area it seems that it takes 7 to 10 business days to get slide film developed. This is thru the local drug stores, etc. I called a real photography/camera store thinking that they might be able to do it quicker, but they, too, said 7 to 10 days. I will check out a few more to see if I can get it done quicker. What I am thinking is that maybe I should just do it myself. I took a number of photography class twenty years ago. I remember that I did learn how to do this, but I just don't remember how. I still have the film reels and light tight developing canisters, etc. What I need to know is, what are all the chemicals I need and how much time to keep the film in the chemicals, etc. I would really appreciate it if any of you could give me exact instructions on how to develop slide film. Thanks, Pete

John Miliunas
12-26-2003, 10:53 AM
Pete, if you can't get that done in Chicago, you might as well go straight to Rochester, NY! Years ago, the only slide film which *had* to leave smaller, independent processors was Kodachrome, due to the way it was processed. For whatever reason, Kodak decided to do away with, what I consider, the absolute best piece of chemically treated acetate ever made!

But I digress. A quick "google" came up with the following link:
http://www.illinoisbiz.biz/film/searchresults.asp?Category=Laboratories+-+Still+Photography

If memory serves me correctly, it appears that the bulk of them are Downtown and the surrounding Downtown area. If that list doesn't do it for you, try another "google" search, as that is just a preliminary list I came up with.

Also, processing it yourself would be a LOT more intense and expensive than you may care to do, especially if you're playing "beat the clock". Color developing chemicals are not cheap. They also require real tight temperature control and an *absolutely* dark room. (No safety lights here, folks!) Then there's the learning curve. I'm not saying you can't do it but, I used to be the "darkroom guru" for many years, through HS and then into the private sector doing work for a daily paper. If I were to do it again, I really don't think I'd grab a "critical" roll of film for my first one! Good luck and let us know how you make out. :cool:

Pete Lamberty
12-26-2003, 2:04 PM
Thanks for your advice Jim. I am going to enter a rocking chair of my own design into a exhibit. The chair isn't finished yet and the entry form has to be in on Jan 15. Since it is a juried event, two slides are required. So I will have to finish the chair before I can take photos of it. Any extra time processing the slides reduces the time for me to finish the chair. I will have to have the chair done by at least Jan 2 to be safe. I have a lot to do. :( Wish me luck. Also I will ask the places you found how long it takes for slides. Thanks again, Pete

Steven Wilson
12-27-2003, 12:32 AM
Hmmm, if you still can't find anyone who will process slide file quickly then you could always use Polaroid Polachrome instant slide film, costs about $22 at B&H.

Of course I just loved Kodachrome 25ASA slide file, best stuff ever made, although Fujichrome is pretty good (I like it better than Ektachrome).

Todd Burch
12-27-2003, 8:19 AM
With all the new digital processing capabilities, I would expect that you could provide a retailer with a digital image or 35MM print or negative and they could MAKE a color slide for you within a couple hours. Have you looked into that?

Just thinking out loud... Todd.

Mark Hulette
12-27-2003, 1:38 PM
Pete- Check the yellow pages under "Film Labs". Surely (I know, don't call you Shirley), Chicago has a lab that can do E6 processing in an hour. Lexington KY has two! If you're shooting Kodachrome, though, all bets are off. About the only place to get consistent, quality results is like John said and send it directly to Rochester. It will take a while for it to get back, though. Good luck!

Pete Lamberty
12-27-2003, 7:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I will be looking hard for a photo lab because if I don't find one I will really be under the gun to finish this chair in the next several days. Pete