PDA

View Full Version : Makeing blanks

Al Killian
04-10-2007, 3:56 PM
I have a few tree to slice up into logs and have a few chuncks left over. What I was wondering what size peices should I make the blanks? Also I have a few stumps with the rootball stil on them. I have read that they make good blanks. Is this true? The logs that I have are poplar, pine, birch and some cherry. Also, how do you determine the price on them? I do not turn yet as I am lacking a lathe. My lumber suppleir will kiln dry them when I get the logs dryed.

Jim Becker
04-10-2007, 5:05 PM
Don't kiln dry turning blanks! Wet wood is much more pleasurable to turn than dry. Stumps and rootballs often result in some outstanding figure...although one must be careful of embedded rocks.

Jim King
04-10-2007, 6:12 PM
Those "leftovers" meaning roots and crotches are probbly worth more than the logs.

Bernie Weishapl
04-11-2007, 1:08 PM
I agree that the root ball is probably worth the most. One thing is you must make sure you clean and if you have to wash all the soil off. Make sure there are no rocks. I would not kiln dry turning stock. Much much easier to turn green.

Dennis Peacock
04-11-2007, 2:56 PM
I also agree.....stumps and rootballs can have some of the best wood figure around for turning. Rough turn the blanks while "wet" and then dry and final turn after the rough turned blanks are dry and finish.

Al Killian
04-12-2007, 2:27 PM
Thanks for the info. Maybe next weekend it will dry up and I will be able to get into the woods. It has been raining all day and the woods are like a swamp.

Pete Jordan
04-12-2007, 2:43 PM
What about kiln drying after they are roughed out?

Jim Becker
04-12-2007, 2:51 PM
What about kiln drying after they are roughed out?

Some folks do with small "kilns" made from old refrigerators, etc. I find a shelf just as satisfactory.

Darrell Feltmate
04-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Leave 'em wet. Green wood is by far the most fun to turn. Of course, the problem is bowls are fun to rough in the green wood and less fun for me to finish turn later on. They also take longer. Besides a green blank may crack but a drying blank just gets better with age so there is no rush anyway.:D Could this be why I have over a hundred bowl blanks drying, some for 5 years?:rolleyes:

Al Wasser
04-14-2007, 10:35 AM
I'll add a contrary opinion. I agree that if I can get green wood locally for free or near free its fun to turn and some cracking is OK. However, if I am buying wood like ebay, locally, or a wood dealer I want dry wood. I have spent my $ on green wood only to have it crack when it hits the dry Colorado air. Just my $.02.

Perry Higgins
04-14-2007, 11:23 AM
The boys and I recovered a Madrone root ball. Appears to have some burl and must weigh 500 lbs. (about 5 ft across). I pressure washed it so now how do I go about cutting it up and how big should I try to make the pieces?:confused: