PDA

View Full Version : The first 400 pieces.

Bill Wyko
04-10-2007, 3:43 PM
Here is the first 400 pieces of what should be around 2000 pieces. Right now it's about 8 inches tall and 12 inches round. When finshed it should be around 22 inches tall. I recently ordered a Clark hollowing system and the Clark Steady rest. I figure this one will break the clark properly. If anyone has experience with this hollowing system I'd sure like to get some advice on how to use it.:eek:

Bill Wyko
04-10-2007, 3:50 PM
Had trouble with pics. I'll try again. Still no workie.:cool: I guess size does matter.:eek:

Christopher K. Hartley
04-10-2007, 4:57 PM
Nice start, however you worry me a bit! All that glue...400 pieces...Tiny painstaking work. Tell me this relaxes you...Right? What goes in the openings in the band? Keep up the good work!:)

TYLER WOOD
04-10-2007, 4:59 PM
I'm like you Bill keep the segments growing. I am iong exponential though. my first was the humidor weighing in at 35 pieces or so. This next humidor will be about 1070 pieces. I have a great idea, I hope it looks as good as I picture it.

By the way, have you ever used corian in substitue for a piece of wood for a blast of color? I was wondering if that would be alright, or if it would cause problems sanding.

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2007, 8:29 PM
Impressive work Bill! Would like to try segmented work someday but not sure I have the patience to be cutting, sanding, gluing all those little pieces! Best of luck to you and I am looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Bob Opsitos
04-11-2007, 12:55 PM
I think the worst part of segmented work is the turning. Given how much time you have invested in the blank, a catch could be catastrophic. When I've turned segmented I tended to turn very simple shapes and take little risk. And the largest peice count I've done had only 70+ peices. If I bodge up a regular blank, it goes into the fire pile and I grab another from the "to be turned" pile.

I can't imagine the trepidation I'd approach a blank made from 400+.

Good luck
Bob

Mark Pruitt
04-11-2007, 1:01 PM
I've had a turning composed of 400 pieces too but I wasn't very happy with the way it happened.:o

Yours OTOH is shaping up nicely of course!:)