PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Flooring Install

Russ Filtz
04-10-2007, 12:41 PM
I just picked up some solid bamboo flooring (more like engineered as it is layered together). I was wondering if I need to let this acclimatize to my house before installing like other hardwood floors? It came shrink wrapped inside of their cartons. Should I open the wrap to let them "breathe" for a week, or just go to town installing?

BTW, I'm going to glue this down to a concrete slab (Florida house) with urethane glue. ANyone do the same with good luck? Or should I float it by gluing the planks together over underlayment?

Joe Pelonio
04-10-2007, 1:21 PM
I just picked up some solid bamboo flooring (more like engineered as it is layered together). I was wondering if I need to let this acclimatize to my house before installing like other hardwood floors? It came shrink wrapped inside of their cartons. Should I open the wrap to let them "breathe" for a week, or just go to town installing?

BTW, I'm going to glue this down to a concrete slab (Florida house) with urethane glue. ANyone do the same with good luck? Or should I float it by gluing the planks together over underlayment?
I haven't done it but a local manufacturer is a laser customer of mine, and I've seen their installation tips. For gluing down urethane is the recommended adhesive. They do need to be climatized though, just like wood. With concrete slab you have additional issues, mainly leveling, but also with the adhesive adhering. They do recommend floating with concrete, the edge grooves glued with Titebond polyurethane adhesive.

Jim Becker
04-10-2007, 2:30 PM
Personally, I prefer the floating method for engineered flooring. It adds a slight amount of cushoning and it's also separated from the "house moving" seasonally at different rates than the floor.

Russ Filtz
04-10-2007, 3:13 PM
How does a floating floor get anchored (like with a breadboard end)? i.e. what prevents the floor from moving around with the gaps around the perimeter? LARGE Spaceballs? :D

Jim Becker
04-10-2007, 3:48 PM
It's big enough that it's not going to be "walking" around the room! The 1/4" or so gap around the edges gets covered with the baseboard. (or shoe molding) If you really feel you need something "down there", you could use some thin backer-rod (a foam product) before you put the baseboards on.