PDA

View Full Version : PC 7518 or Festool Plunge Saw

Dave Avery
12-26-2003, 9:39 AM
All,

My in-laws VERY kindly gave me a PC7518 for Christmas. I currently use a Makita RF1101 kit for table/hand/plunge routing and have been very happy with it. I know the PC is the big dog of table routers, but I don't do a lot of panel raising and the Makita has done everything I've asked of it.

I do, however, really want and (need?) the Festool plunge saw. So, the question is, should I return the PC, add a little cash, and get the Festool - or just keep the PC7518? Opinions please......

Tyler Howell
12-26-2003, 9:43 AM
You will never be happy unless you get what you want..... (Most) Givers understand this when it comes to personal gifts.

Mark Singer
12-26-2003, 9:45 AM
All,

My in-laws VERY kindly gave me a PC7518 for Christmas. I currently use a Makita RF1101 kit for table/hand/plunge routing and have been very happy with it. I know the PC is the big dog of table routers, but I don't do a lot of panel raising and the Makita has done everything I've asked of it.

I do, however, really want and (need?) the Festool plunge saw. So, the question is, should I return the PC, add a little cash, and get the Festool - or just keep the PC7518? Opinions please......

Dave,
I don't have the festool but I sure would do that. I don't have the PC in my router table and never thought I was missing anything either.
Go for it!
Mark

Bill Grumbine
12-26-2003, 10:28 AM
Hi Dave

The only answer to your dilemma is both! Seriously though, if you already have a router that is doing what you need, then go for the Festool. I have the big PC router, but it is dedicated to the Legacy. I did lots of production routing for years with a pair of 690s. Since I also have the Festool saw, I can tell you how sweet that thing works as well, and I see lots of use for it in the future. It is real nice not having to horse a 4 x 8 sheet through the unisaw.

Oh yeah, I bet if you were to ask Todd Burch how he is going to rip that big bubinga, it won't be with a router! :D

Bill

Steve Roxberg
12-26-2003, 10:32 AM
Go for the Festool saw. If you router is working, then the saw will add a whole new capability to the shop.

My other thought is it's always easier to come up with the funds for the router if you need one in a pinch.

I'm jealous.

Todd Burch
12-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Bill, it won't be with a router, and I won't be sliding it through the tablesaw either!!

Festool ATF-55 - now that's the ticket! (Not that's I've even UNPACKED it yet.... Note to self: try out the saw and post results BEFORE I have to make the money cut on that bubinga...)

Gene Collison
12-26-2003, 4:23 PM
All,

Dave,

I would take the Festool saw, but if you decide on a big router, make it a Milwaukee 3 1/2 HP. How 's that for muddying up the waters? BTW, I have both and would take the Festool in a heartbeat. There's not much your wonderful Makita RF 1101 won't do that a big router can.

Gene