PDA

View Full Version : Jackrabbit Owners?

Keel McDonald
04-10-2007, 12:18 PM
I have a questions for owners of the Jackrabbit countersink/drill bit set. I did some research and asking around before ordering one of these kits (Delux Set (http://jackrabbittool.com/products.html)). I figured if it was good enough for Norm, it was good enough for me. I got it in the mail yesterday, and when I put it together to try it out, I was sorely disappointed. The bit doesn't turn true. By that I mean the tip wobbles as it turns. I thought I might have it chucked a little crooked, but after re-chucking it, same thing. Then I thought it might be my drill (Porter Cable 19.2V) But when I chucked up an extension bit which is approximately 6" long, it spinned perfectly smooth.

My question is this. Does yours spin true, or wobble? My 2nd question is this. I read on that it was supposed to come in a sealed package, but when I got it, it was just in the case made for it, no packaging. I'm wondering if they sent me a "rejected" one. Any thoughts?

Rick Levine
04-10-2007, 12:23 PM
I have two of them and just ordered some replacement parts I like it so much. I found that if the drill bit holder is not seated completely on the driver bit it will wabble. There is a small, I don't know how to describe it, metal ring set at a angle inside the drill bit holder that secures the holder to the driver bit. Make sure it is in place.

Bruce Benjamin
04-10-2007, 1:55 PM
Keel, I've had the Jack Rabbit for several years now and used it a lot. I snapped a set screw off once and instead of the company just sending me the screw and depth stop ring they sent me several other parts for free too. Great service.

Mine has had a slight wobble to it since I bought it. But it's never effected the performance at all. Since the connection of the drill portion to the driver bit isn't really tight the wobble straightens out during use. It's a non-issue for me. You could call them and talk to them about it though. Maybe they'll send you another and you'll have some spares. But if yours is like mine you don't need to do that.

Bruce

Jim Becker
04-10-2007, 1:59 PM
No problems with mine...review on my site. Give them a call and explain the situation. My experience with these folks has been very positive.

Ken Belisle
04-10-2007, 3:01 PM
I've had mine almost as long as Norm and the wobble stops as soon as the drill bit makes contact with the wood. Since I am basically drilling a clearance hole & countersink, any slight error really doesn't make a difference.

Try using it and not just watching it spin and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Eric Wong
04-10-2007, 5:41 PM
Looks like its all been said already, mainly that when you start drilling the small wobble will straighten out, and it shouldn't matter too much anyway based on what you are drilling. I've owned several over the past 10 years and I couldn't work without them.

Keel McDonald
04-11-2007, 12:53 PM
No problems with mine...review on my site. Give them a call and explain the situation. My experience with these folks has been very positive.

I didn't call them, but did e-mail them yesterday. They said it sometimes happens, and they'd be happy to replace it. They said that sometimes the phillips bit doesn't come out exactly straight, and might cause the drill bit to wobble. They seem to be a good bunch of folks.

Many of you have said that the wobble stops as soon as it begins drilling into the wood. I've had other bits that do that. The only problem is that often I need holes to be in an exact place. It's a little hard to line up the drill to hit an exact point when it's moving all over the place.

I'm looking forward to using it on my next project.

Bruce Benjamin
04-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Hmmm...I usually don't start the drill until it's touching where I need the hole to be. You're not using this in a drill press are you? I've drilled countless holes with my Jack Rabbit, (hand held drill) and locating the bit on the hole has never been a problem. YMMV of course.

Bruce

The only problem is that often I need holes to be in an exact place. It's a little hard to line up the drill to hit an exact point when it's moving all over the place.

Keel McDonald
04-12-2007, 7:00 AM
Hmmm...I usually don't start the drill until it's touching where I need the hole to be. You're not using this in a drill press are you? I've drilled countless holes with my Jack Rabbit, (hand held drill) and locating the bit on the hole has never been a problem. YMMV of course.

Bruce

Yes, I do use it in the drill press, at least for the countersink holes. I like to use it when I need exact 90 degree holes. I also use it in the cordless drill. I just want a tool that does what I think it SHOULD do, and the folks at Jackrabbit agree. So I'm happy. Or I will be when I get the replacement.

Bruce Benjamin
04-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Ok. I just never thought about using it in a drill press. Because of how it's designed, I just figured it's main purpose was for using in a portable drill. I don't know if you'll ever be completely happy with it if your intent is to use it on a drill press. But maybe the next one you get will be quite different from mine. As I said mine usually has a slight wobble to it. That's because it is always slightly loose on the driver bit. I don't mean it will come off but if you look at how it functions you will see that it's not really gripping the bit shaft like a proper chuck. It works with a sort of spring loaded washer inside of the drill chuck and that's all that holds it in there. It's just my opinion but looking at how it functions I doubt that it was ever really intended as a high precision drill for use on a drill press. But I could be wrong. But in a hand held drill it works beautifully because I can set the drill tip before I start the drill. Then it's very precise. I hope your new one works differently than most do though. Let us know how it comes out when you get the new one.

Bruce

Yes, I do use it in the drill press, at least for the countersink holes. I like to use it when I need exact 90 degree holes. I also use it in the cordless drill. I just want a tool that does what I think it SHOULD do, and the folks at Jackrabbit agree. So I'm happy. Or I will be when I get the replacement.