PDA

View Full Version : Imperfection or natural process?

Phil Phelps
04-10-2007, 8:43 AM
Your opinion is welcome. I bought a guitar two months ago. It is a "re-issue" from '62 and has a nitrocellulose finish, as did all their guitars of that era. It has recently cracked along the joint where the two pieces of alder were glued together to form the body. On the face you can actually feel the indention of the shrinkage and on the back you can see a fine line of the glue seam. The company says that this is a typical "aging process" and will not exchange the guitar. I contend that the lacquer is following the movement of the hastily dried lumber. Had this guitar looked like it does now in a music store, it wouldn't sell. Am I wrong in my assessment?

Al Wasser
04-10-2007, 9:57 AM
I can't tell you about a guitar, but if it were say an item of furniture I was looking at, the only way I would buy it would be at deep discount for the kids room. I think you are correct that you have flawed item, but my opinion and $.75 might get you a cup of coffe at a cheap joint.

Steve Schoene
04-12-2007, 12:44 AM
The best source to get an authoritative answer to your question is Michael Dresdner. In addition to having written several excellent books on finishing, he has in the past headed finishing operations for at least one guitar company. I think it was Martin.

http://michaeldresdner.com/

Dan Forman
04-12-2007, 2:33 AM
Does it sound good? If you like how it sounds, and how it plays, best keep it and ignore the finish checks, if they did exchange it, the next one may be a dog. Nowdays the "relic" thing is all the rage, where they deliberately distress the finish so that it actually looks it's age. Of course they charge extra for the service.

Dan

Phil Phelps
04-12-2007, 8:38 AM
Does it sound good? If you like how it sounds, and how it plays, best keep it and ignore the finish checks, if they did exchange it, the next one may be a dog. Nowdays the "relic" thing is all the rage, where they deliberately distress the finish so that it actually looks it's age. Of course they charge extra for the service.

Dan

It's a matter of principle, Dan. You need to make good on your product, especially a company with a reputation like Fender. And yes, I am going to keep it for the reasons you mentioned. But when a factory expert tells me it's a natural curing process, I think they need to revue their customer relations. There is no need to cover up poor workmanship. And yep, they do make brand new "relics" for those "wanabe" musicians. I often wonder if these same people ask a new car dealer if they would beat up and dent their new car so it'll look street worn? :D