PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 10-325 Motor Temp

Ken Massingale
04-10-2007, 6:41 AM
I have a question for owners of this bandsaw, please.
When I make a purchase of new equipment with induction motors I always 'run in' the motors and driven components for 10-15 minutes before using under load. Necessary or not it's what I do, it's common practice in the industrial maintenence departments I have worked in.
The LOML bought this BS for me early last week and after assembly and alignment I ran it for 15 minutes, listening and looking for any problems. I turned it off and found that the motor was very hot, too hot to touch.
I ran the TS3650 (1 1/2 hp same as the 10-325) for the same time and the motor was barely warm.
I called Rikon and they didn't hesitate to ship a replacement motor. I installed it yesterday and have the same situation, it isn't 'quite' as hot as the original, but still very warm.
After the motor cooled I resawed several blocks of 10" diameter, ~16" long Cherry, running the saw for about 20 minutes, but stopping the saw after each slice to back the resaw jig back the the front of the blade. After this process the motor was 'warm' but not nearly as hot as running the saw continuously for 15 minutes.
So, my question is, have other owners had this, and will someone run their 10-325 for 15 minutes to see if they have the same situation?
The finned frame of the motor is somewhat 'different', perhaps the temp is normal, I don't want to have problems down the road but don't want to bug Rikon if I don't really have a problem.
Thanks for listening.