PDA

View Full Version : Polycarbonate

Jeff Chumbley
04-10-2007, 1:03 AM
I know that this subject has been brought up numerous times but I havent seen this answer

When rastering polycarbonate does it frost or is it just lasered there. I have seen where it turns yellow and such when vectoring but I have a request to raster it but wants to know what color it turns when done.

Jeff

Joe Pelonio
04-10-2007, 8:10 AM
It doesn't frost like cast acrylic, more like extruded, deeper with sort of a texture to it, I haven't seen it turn yellow.

Brian Robison
04-10-2007, 8:20 AM
I made a part from PC and it yellowed and smoked when I cut it. I havent engraved it though.

Chris Powell
04-10-2007, 9:16 AM
:eek: From my limited experience, yellow or brown residue means the material probably contains PVC...not good for lasers. :eek:

Brian Robison
04-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Nah, PC is PC. I don't mean to sound like a smart alec,
I'm a plastics hot runner injection molding engineer in
my real job.

Chris Powell
04-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Nah, PC is PC. I don't mean to sound like a smart alec,
I'm a plastics hot runner injection molding engineer in
my real job.

:o I reserve the right to invoke my disclaimer: "limited experience" being the key phrase.

Nevertheless, PVC (and teflon) continue to be not good for lasers.

Brian Robison
04-10-2007, 12:10 PM
I hadn't heard about teflon.
You should see what PVC does to an injection molding press! Can you say rust?:eek:
I haven't molded any teflon, the people I know that do, won't tell you anything. It must be "classified".

Jeff Chumbley
04-10-2007, 1:00 PM
Thanks all I sent an email to my customer to see what he wants to do.

Larry Bratton
04-10-2007, 5:34 PM
Brian:
Some have said PC gives off a toxic gas or something bad to breathe when lasered. Right or wrong?

Mike Null
04-10-2007, 6:05 PM
I just engraved a couple of pieces today and it engraves well but does leave a yellow-brown color in the engraved area. My exhaust system is pretty tight so I didn't get any odor though if you hold it to your nose a smell like burnt electric windings is detectable.

I do not think the material could be used without color fill for any decorative purpose due to the yellow brown color. I was using 1/4" material.

Brian Robison
04-11-2007, 1:25 PM
Hi Larry,
PC isn't as bad as a lot of plastics. I've been breathing it for years and it hasn't affected me none!:eek:
In reality, I wouldn't suggest breathing fumes from any melting plastics including acrylic.
PVC is probably the worst of the commodity plastics.

Larry Bratton
04-11-2007, 3:16 PM
Brian:
PVC is detrimental to my LASER'S health. I have a great exhaust system on my machine, but I don't like to take unnecessary chances. PC may not be as bad but again I wonder if it might harm my machine. You can buy a new car for what these things cost, so caution is warranted for sure. Thanks for the reply.

David Fairfield
04-11-2007, 9:02 PM
I think the laser lid is made from Polycarbonate, for a reason. I ran a sample for a customer and it did not cut or engrave cleanly. It required relatively high power, and melted and scortched at the edges. World of difference from plexiglass which engraves with a nice frosting, and comes out of the laser with a beautiful finished edge.

Dave

Jeff Chumbley
04-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks to all for your input. Have not heard back from the customer so who knows.

Joe Pelonio
04-12-2007, 12:21 PM
I think the laser lid is made from Polycarbonate, for a reason. I ran a sample for a customer and it did not cut or engrave cleanly. It required relatively high power, and melted and scortched at the edges. World of difference from plexiglass which engraves with a nice frosting, and comes out of the laser with a beautiful finished edge.

Dave
My laser top is glass. When I've cut PC there has been a bright yellow smoke. That can't be good, so I avoid it now.