PDA

View Full Version : I LOVE natures beauty-especially when I can find it!

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-10-2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks to Jim King and his wonderful wood.

The wood is Dalmation and has NO finish, just a little Butcher Block oil as lubricant for polishing with 10,000.

Thanks for lookin" - as always comments - both pro and con are appreciated.

Bruce

David Walser
04-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Bruce,

That's some pretty wood and one beautiful bowl. If anything, I think I like the bottom better than the top. You did a nice job with the foot.

Bill Boehme
04-10-2007, 12:37 AM
I like the dish a lot, and it shows that you have really done a great job on it. But if I may critique the photography, here are my comments: Picture #3 is by far the best at showing off the shape, grain, soft sheen finish, etc. The first one is too straight down and, therefore, doesn't give a good picture of what the dish profile looks like. The second one give a good view of the bottom details and mounting foot. Personally, I am not a fan of "bottom" shots -- some things need to be left to the imagination!

I would recommend getting a more sedate background in place of the red velour. I think that it fights for attention in the shot rather that keeping its rightful place in the background. A sheet of neutral gray posterboard is cheap and works well. For something fancier, you can get Varitone graduated paper from places that cater to professional and serious amateur photographers.

Bill

Mark Pruitt
04-10-2007, 8:01 AM
Beautiful piece, Bruce. I agree with Bill that a more neutral background would have made a better pic.

Jim Becker
04-10-2007, 8:58 AM
Yes, a beautiful piece that leverages the wood very nicely!

Mark and Bill bring up a good point. When photographing our work, it's best to avoid strong colors for a number of reasons including the fact that the colors will impart themselves on the workpiece. Blue is the worst, but any strong color...red, green, etc., is a problem in this respect. White or ideally, 18% gray backgrounds are best as they don't alter colors and provide some bounce and diffusion for better lighting. Jamie Donaldson and John Lucas (the turner from TN, not the woodworker from RI), who are both turners and pro photographers have written about this quite a bit and taught the same at the AAW symposiums.

Glenn Hodges
04-10-2007, 9:13 AM
Bruce, that is a beauty. The grain patterns and color of the wood are so nice. How big is it?

Neal Addy
04-10-2007, 9:20 AM
That's nice! Never heard of the wood. Jim always comes up with interesting stuff.

How was it to turn?

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2007, 9:25 AM
Nice bowl Bruce! First time I've seen that brand of wood and you sure made it look good!

Bill Boehme
04-10-2007, 10:06 AM
That's nice! Never heard of the wood.......

Nice bowl Bruce! First time I've seen that brand of wood and you sure made it look good!

If I am not mistaken, Dalmation is the same species as Bloodwood. I believe that Jim King in Peru has noted some slight differences in the plants and is trying to have Dalmation recognized as a sub species -- unless I am confusing this with some other wood -- maybe Jim will pop in and answer the question.

Bill

Jonathon Spafford
04-10-2007, 10:30 AM
That is one awesome dish... the grain and finish is really beautiful! Never heard of the wood either, but you sure do make it look good. Wonderful work!

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Beautiful Bruce. Wonderful wood and job.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-10-2007, 7:35 PM
Evenin' folks.

First, the dish is 9" Diameter and 2" tall. The walls are thicked than I normally do, about 3/8". It just felt right.

Now the wood. When turning it, it smelled like Cocobola, therefore, I believe puts it in the rosewood family.

Now for the constructive cirtiques. Thanks very much. Since you didn't say anything bad about the dish, I guess you found it ok.

I never called myself a photographer, but, to be honest, I have been fighting with the pictures. I've been thinking of getting a photographic light box or building one. Background color has been a concern. Thanks for the help.

Bruce

Jim Becker
04-10-2007, 8:45 PM
Bruce, an old, white window shade is even an option for a background, especially if you shoot outside in natural light (no direct sunlight...you want diffusion) and want to keep it simple.

Dennis Peacock
04-11-2007, 2:39 PM
Very nice Bruce..!!!! Love that wood!!!