PDA

View Full Version : Which lathe to buy

Gene Michael
04-10-2007, 12:02 AM
My ancient AMT lathe died in the middle of a project. I'd love a Jet 1642 or something more exotic, but am on a tight budget. Looked at the Delta 46-715, then read user reports of many problems (power switch, pully system, misformed parts). Looked at the Grizzly line, but read that their engineering often prevents use of other brands of chucks, etc. Am now looking at the Sears (Palmgren) 15" x 38" lathe. Can anyone give me feedback on this lathe or suggest other moderately priced lathes? I will appreciate any and all advice.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Gene....First ....Welcome to the Creek!

Several of our members here drive that lathe and like it.

I'm sure you'll get some replies from those owners!

Again...Welcome!

Roy Griggs
04-10-2007, 12:53 AM
I have a Delta 14-40 which is the first lathe I've owned and other than a problem with the cheap-a** cast handles on the tool rest I've had no problems with it. It ain't mustard or mayo quality or capable but I have yet to excede it's capabilities with my abilities...and yes I realize that doesn't say much about my abilities.
I also have a Delta Midi which I have found to be a quite good little lathe for pens, handles, and other small items. Altho I don't have the bed extension on my Midi, one is avaliable and increases the bed length enough to turn medium sized spindles (I'm not sure to what length)
I would class both these as good beginner lathes at a reasonable price (at least they were when I got mine; less than $600 for both, new).

roy

Brodie Brickey
04-10-2007, 2:40 AM
I had the Delta 46-715. Just don't get it. Please??!!!

Look at Jet if you can afford it. Nova is also available at many WoodCraft stores. The 16-24 nova is a revision of the Nova 3000. 16" Swing, slow lower speed (260 RPM ??). It still uses pulleys, but its a work horse. It is a little expensive (900-1000) but very solid. Also includes a good warranty.

A lot of turners got the Nova and later on put a variable speed controller & motor on it, and made it the equivalent of a Jet 1624/Nova DVR XP.

Spindle size on the Nova is 1 1/4" x 8 TPI. Its common in the lathe world, but not for the smaller lathe size standard. If you don't have chucks with changeable thread inserts, this could become an expensive problem. Converters are available, from Oneway and others, but that does add an additional question into the works (maybe not with the Oneway adapter, but the others certainly).

I can't speak for the Grizzly or other lathes.

Von Bickley
04-10-2007, 6:49 AM
I had the Delta 46-715. Just don't get it. Please??!!!

I agree with Brodie.....

George Tokarev
04-10-2007, 6:58 AM
I've got the 3000, and if the 16-24/44 is the true offspring, it's an incredible bargain at around a grand. Variable speed is by belts and pulleys, but when you change speeds once per piece at most, who cares. Rather thangain rotational energy through increased speed to compensate, sharpen your tool when things start to grab, and you'll never miss the infinitely variable.

It goes slow enough to be frustrating, though you can handle the most incredibly out-of-balance pieces if you have the patience. Don't use mine above 680, but there are pulleys up there for more.

Mark Pruitt
04-10-2007, 7:52 AM
Gene, you didn't say whether your interest is mostly spindles, bowls, other vessels, or other. So it's kinda hard to make a strong recommendation. But, if $$ is an issue I would look at the Jet 1220. Its 12" swing is as much as some freestanding lathes and if you upgrade to a big machine in the future the 1220 will still prove useful. My .02

Oh and...Welcome!

Bob Opsitos
04-10-2007, 8:53 AM
I have a 46-715, for about a year and a half, and for the price I paid I would have gotten it again. Works well enough, switch broke from rough use (turned off several times in anger after I orbited a bowl). Other than some odd noises, works fine. The problems I have with it can only be remidied by a upgrade, (more swing, better VS esp. lower low speed)

From what I've heard it does appear to be random chance at getting a good one.

Bob

Ralph Lindberg
04-10-2007, 8:56 AM
Gene
Everyone loves the lathe they have, until they buy the next one....:rolleyes:

Some thoughts.

If you have the room, large is good.
Name brands are good.
Grizzly is not bad, just sometimes odd (their new lathes are all 1x8 heads)
If cheap is better, look at the high-end Harbor Freight. It's not a PM, but it costs less then the (total) in tools many of us have

Ed Frie
04-10-2007, 8:59 AM
I love my Jet 1442, cheaper than the 1642 and equally well built, you can sometimes find them discounted a little bit.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-10-2007, 9:35 AM
Gene.....send a PM to Bernie Weishapl. IIRC he drove one of those Craftsmans for quite a while.