PDA

View Full Version : Benchdog fence not square

Ben Grunow
04-09-2007, 9:42 PM
I just recieved my benchdog router table/fence/cabinet and PC 7518 and no matter what I do the fence is not square to the deck when tightened (the aluminum extrustion is square and the MDF is bedded in it right- it just bends out of square when tightened). I used it for 2 projects and then noticed the problem when making some small moldings. It is about 1/16- open at the top when tightened down.

I spoke to the store where I bought it and they suggested that I had over tightened it or that the little aluminum blocks that clamp the table top were out of adjustment but neith is the case. The blocks are as the manual shows (top suface parallel with the table top when tight) and if I dont tighten the fence (it is square to the deck when the handscrews are loose) enough, it will stay square but it slips during use...DAMHIKT...poplar is relatively cheap.

Anyone have this problem and solve it? I am going to either return this thing or route some T slots in and do away with the edge clamp arrangement. What a PITA. Help!!!

Thanks

Ben

glenn bradley
04-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I've got to think there is something in the way. I had to shave down the plastic edge trim on my table as it was a smidge proud and caused me issues; not fence related but similar. I sanded it very carefully. Something like trimming laminate on a kitchen counter. No more problem.

Frank Martin
04-10-2007, 12:25 AM
I have the cast iron router table with fence. I had to shave off about 1/16" from the bottom of the MDF sacrificial fences to solve the same problem.
Hope this helps

I just recieved my benchdog router table/fence/cabinet and PC 7518 and no matter what I do the fence is not square to the deck when tightened (the aluminum extrustion is square and the MDF is bedded in it right- it just bends out of square when tightened). I used it for 2 projects and then noticed the problem when making some small moldings. It is about 1/16- open at the top when tightened down.

I spoke to the store where I bought it and they suggested that I had over tightened it or that the little aluminum blocks that clamp the table top were out of adjustment but neith is the case. The blocks are as the manual shows (top suface parallel with the table top when tight) and if I dont tighten the fence (it is square to the deck when the handscrews are loose) enough, it will stay square but it slips during use...DAMHIKT...poplar is relatively cheap.

Anyone have this problem and solve it? I am going to either return this thing or route some T slots in and do away with the edge clamp arrangement. What a PITA. Help!!!

Thanks

Ben

Ben Grunow
04-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Neither, guys. After really looking at the thing I determined that the ends of the fence extrusion were bent. I dont know if it came that way or if I bent it but it is. The point where the outer bolt for the pivot bar goes thru the fence (the one with the washers/lock washer/nuts above and below the alum) is bent up about 1/32". Almost like the bolt squeezed the aluminum so tight that the edges lifted (I know this is not what happened but it sounds understandable without a picture) so when the hand screws are tight the 3 raised areas that touch the RT top are not coplanar anymore-the one furthest back is up a bit which causes the fence to lean back slightly.

Went to WW CLub (Woodcraft) where I bought it and they just gave me a new one. I went home and tried to figure out why this happened and I dont really know except to say that the aluminum is really too thin at the ends of the fence and the long hole provided I suspect is the culprit. When the outer volt is tightened (just enough to close the lock washer down) I think the slot spreads and lifts the back of the extrusion. New fence is not "dead on" at one end but it is nearly perfect for the rest of its length. I am thinking about a steel plate to distribute the load a little better here but for now I am just using it.

It is rock steady and DC is crazy, I forget I am cutting wood sometimes.

Sorry for the long words but BD customers should know. I wish they would let you drill your own holes in the fence as most are used on the same top forever and the long slot weakens things, AFAIK.

Ben