PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Underneath Mobile PM66 Table?

Steven Boney
04-09-2007, 5:53 PM
Hello, this is my first post.... I have been lurking for awhile and really enjoyed reading this forum...

Has anyone come up with any nifty ideas (cabinets, shelves, etc) for utilizing the space underneath their PM66 with 50" rails? My saw sits on top of a Powermatic mobile base. I would like to find a way to better utilize the space between the mobile base and the table, and still allow the saw to be mobile.

I have seen cabinets and such which people built underneath their saw, but the saw was mounted permanently to the floor. Any ideas, pictures or help would be appreciated...

Thanks, Steve

Anthony Anderson
04-09-2007, 6:45 PM
First of all Steven, welcome. Glad you decided to join the Creek. My saw is on a mobile base with a 52" fence. Next week I am going to build a 3-4 drawer cabinet to slide in next to the saw, on the mobile base. I have an access door on the side (for the motor and such), under the table, so the cabinet cannot be as wide as I would like but it will still give me a lot more storage space. Does your PM have the integrated caster/mobile base system? If so, then you may be able to attach casters to a cabinet and then attach the cabinet to the saw, so both are mobile as one unit. Good Luck, Bill

Michael Lutz
04-09-2007, 6:50 PM
I am currently designing a cabinet/router table for the same space. I have a PM 66 with the PM mobile base. I don't think the base could take the added weight of the cabinet sitting on it, so I was thinking of putting the cabinet on casters and using levelers to provide a small amount of weight to the end of the mobile base. I have already gouged the black melamine coating on the extension table, so I am going to replace it with a laminate coated MDF for the router table.

These are just my ideas, but I won't know if it will work until I build it.

Mike

Bart Leetch
04-09-2007, 6:57 PM
I don't think the base could take the added weight of the cabinet sitting on it.

So is there a way to fasten the cabinet so as to incorporate it strength into an integrated system?

Saw+mobile base+cabinet=more strength.

Think outside the box.:D

Mike Heidrick
04-09-2007, 7:04 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/saw2.jpg

Here is my Sawstop and 52" fence with an HTC base and a ball bearing tool cabinet with 8 blades, two miter gauges, a bunch of other saw related tools, and two sets of dado blades in it. I am very positive it is very mobile. I made the shelf from laminated 1/2" plywood. It is bolted to the base with angle aluminum straping (like you use to mount a garage door opener).

Bart Leetch
04-09-2007, 9:35 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/saw2.jpg

Here is my Sawstop and 52" fence with an HTC base and a ball bearing tool cabinet with 8 blades, two miter gauges, a bunch of other saw related tools, and two sets of dado blades in it. I am very positive it is very mobile. I made the shelf from laminated 1/2" plywood. It is bolted to the base with angle aluminum straping (like you use to mount a garage door opener).

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :D Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha actually I like it tuck the hospital corners a little tighter & brighten the light above it a little & we'll use it properly for an operating table.

Steven Boney
04-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Wow!!! Thanks everyone for all the great ideas... One question for Mike Heidrick, Is the ball bearing cabinet fastened to your laminated shelf?

Thanks, Steve

glenn bradley
04-09-2007, 10:32 PM
I was space challenged. Even though my saw is a left tilt the motor cover sticks out the right side. I did this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=48697&d=1161219700

Mike Heidrick
04-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Wow!!! Thanks everyone for all the great ideas... One question for Mike Heidrick, Is the ball bearing cabinet fastened to your laminated shelf?

Thanks, Steve

Nope, I keep it so I can move it if I ever need to get at the side door. It is plenty heavy enough to stay where I put it. There is a handle on it to help move it if/when needed.

I keep my tools clean. Actually there is sawdust on mine now but mostly clean. I like to keep dust at a minimum - don't need help killing myself.

Bart Leetch
04-10-2007, 12:06 AM
My cabinet isn't as fancy as Mike Heidrick's however I built mine myself.:eek: :p :D After all this is a woodworkers shop.:D :D :D The top drawer holds table-saw stuff wrenches & other handy items drafting triangle etc. the 2nd drawer hold turning items for the lathe. The 3rd drawer holds router table stuff for the router table in the left wing of the Unisaw. You can see what the 4th drawer holds.

Art Mulder
04-10-2007, 8:16 AM
I keep my tools clean. Actually there is sawdust on mine now but mostly clean. I like to keep dust at a minimum - don't need help killing myself.

I don't see any DC lines in that photo? do you have a mobile DC, or pipes hidden in some way?