PDA

View Full Version : Fast-Growing Cherry

George Tokarev
04-09-2007, 5:26 PM
Terry's post with that wide-open ash reminded me that I might still have a couple of pin cherry roughs from some chunks a neighbor gave me. Fastest-growing stuff I've seen. Spun this this afternoon to show how the sapwood blends with pin cherry and how wide the rings are. You guys in warm climates aren't the only ones who make good growth. If it's in full sun and downstream from the manure pit, even we can see it.

Just oil so far. Burnish and poly to come. About 10x3 overall. Some wicked brown rot denied me the extra inch in depth I thought I might get.

Mark Pruitt
04-09-2007, 5:50 PM
That's a beautiful piece. At first glance the indentation on the outside seemed like an unwanted interruption, but the more I look at it the more I like it. Are you going to buff the poly to a high gloss? That would get my vote.:)

Steve Schlumpf
04-09-2007, 9:10 PM
Beautiful bowl George! I am somewhat surprised at the consistant color. I like the 'finger groove' on the outside. As rich as the wood looks with just oil - I'm not sure I would put a high gloss on it as Mark suggests. Sometimes seeing the wood for what it is - is as good as it gets! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2007, 10:43 PM
George the bowl is a beauty. I really like the form of it. Nice job.

George Van
04-10-2007, 9:23 AM
Even from warm, sunny, AZ, this looks like a nice shape George. I would vote for the sheen you have at present, makes this looks rich. I wish anything around us grew like this. Here a lot of 12” is 100+ years.

Nancy Laird
04-10-2007, 9:26 AM
George, this is beautiful. I'm with the others--don't put anything else on it, as it is pretty just as it is. And I too like the indentation below the rim--gives the outside some "interest."

Nancy

Jonathon Spafford
04-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Nice little bowl there.... great wood and rim detail! I would also cast my vote towards leaving just the present finish on!

George Tokarev
04-10-2007, 11:08 AM
I intend to leave a dull burnished surface. Poly to protect the soft oil after it polymerizes, and then scubbed off the surface where it might show a shine. I use linseed to accentuate the cherry, since the Minwax wipe seems to be soy oil, with less of an amber to improve the color.

As to the groove, it almost came off very late in the creative process when I elected to undercut the rim and make a thumb grip for passing rather than go with the finger cove. Thought of taking it off and making a burn round the top section instead, but elected to go with what I had. In the end, rather than reverse to get an easy cut or work around the headstock, I said "good enough." Sloth wins, as usual. Nice piece of wood, overall.