PDA

View Full Version : TS and what other tools

Charles Wilson
04-09-2007, 4:06 PM
Well, here I go again. I have flip flopped once again. If I spend a little less money on the TS, I can buy some more tools.

TS - Choices - Grizzly G0575 or Rigid TS3650 - Pros, Cons, opinions.

Okay, I have an EZ rail system for shet good breakdown, various power hand tools by Bosch (drill, jigsaw, router, some sanders), and measurement/various hand tools.

Also have a workbench and assembly table.

What else can I buy for my new shop?

Regards,

Chuck

Brian Dormer
04-09-2007, 4:12 PM
Ridgid gets way better reviews in the mags. But HD can be a pain to deal with (sales people don't know squat about the products). Griz is going to eat lots of $$ for shipping.

I was close to buying a 3650 - but chose a C-man 22114 because the motor doesn't stick out the back. Worked better for the space I had.

I like what I have - but if I had to do it over again - I would be tempted by the 3650.

I vote for Ridgid.

Scott Long
04-09-2007, 4:26 PM
I looked online and you are about 2 hrs away. If I were you I would take the drive down to muncy. I personally don't like to drop that kind of money unless I see it first hand.

I just drove up there about 2 weeks ago and bought their 8" Jointer and a bunch of odds and ends stuff.

Dave Falkenstein
04-09-2007, 4:27 PM
When I started collecting tools, I bought whatever tools I needed for a project. I kept adding tools as I did projects. I have never stopped doing projects or buying new and improved tools. Have fun!!!

Ron Blaise
04-09-2007, 4:50 PM
Well, here I go again. I have flip flopped once again. If I spend a little less money on the TS, I can buy some more tools.

TS - Choices - Grizzly G0555 or Rigid TS3650 - Pros, Cons, opinions.

Okay, I have an EZ rail system for shet good breakdown, various power hand tools by Bosch (drill, jigsaw, router, some sanders), and measurement/various hand tools.

Also have a workbench and assembly table.

What else can I buy for my new shop?

Regards,

Chuck
and likes it very much and has had no problems with it.

glenn bradley
04-09-2007, 5:25 PM
"What else can I buy for my new shop?"

In order:

Jointer and Planer.
Bandsaw and Drill Press.
Router table.
Saw blade wall clock.
Framed picture of Norm.

Loren Hedahl
04-09-2007, 5:50 PM
When I started collecting tools, I bought whatever tools I needed for a project. I kept adding tools as I did projects. I have never stopped doing projects or buying new and improved tools. Have fun!!!

If you do as Dave does you might find that your EZ system will do about everything you might want to do and decide not to clutter up a large portion of your shop floor space with a table saw.

In my case I bought the Festool saw and MFT table before I was aware of EZ. It does most operations well, but the main thing I get out my table saw for (it's on casters) is for cutting long narrow trim strips, etc. The Festool guide rails don't lend themselves for this. However the EZ has clamping elements and repeaters that appear like they might work great for this operation.

At this point I am seriously considering selling my table saw (early model Ridgid) and going to a small bench saw for those few times I need it.

Again, I would suggest working with your EZ system until you are sure your work is limited by the EZ system. Then solve that limitation in the most efficient way. You may find yourself going a totally different route -- perhaps bandsaw.

Loren

scott spencer
04-09-2007, 6:02 PM
Just to clarify, the G0555 is their bandsaw. The G0444(Z) and G0575/0576 are their contractor saws.

This level of saw will all do a fine job for you. The Griz has a great fence and cast iron miter gauge, and has a nicer switch. The Ridgid has a great built in mobile base and easy alignment. At the end of the day, you won't be able to tell the difference when the wood's cut. It's best to get the one you like best.

Jim Thiel
04-09-2007, 7:07 PM
"What else can I buy for my new shop?"

In order:

Jointer and Planer.
Bandsaw and Drill Press.
Router table.
Saw blade wall clock.
Framed picture of Norm.

I dunno, the framed picture is pretty far down the list. maybe between the bandsaw and drill press, to be upgaraded to an autographed poster when available.

As for the topic, I still lean heavy on the used. Your neck of the woods is littered with really good saws.
Jim

Charles Wilson
04-09-2007, 9:23 PM
I dunno, the framed picture is pretty far down the list. maybe between the bandsaw and drill press, to be upgaraded to an autographed poster when available.

As for the topic, I still lean heavy on the used. Your neck of the woods is littered with really good saws.
Jim

Really, where are they? :o I look everywhere that I can think of (craigslist, ebay, newspaper, OWWM, etc.) and have found none.

Maybe you could shine some light for me?

Regards,
Chuck

Jim Thiel
04-10-2007, 2:40 PM
130096758991 with a nice little drive to boot
320101206068 could get pricey, a reserve
140105746594 just to watch - the price should come down a bit
320101745739 great little number
320098950634 good place to start, powermatic
190101261709 another nice c-man

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_search_results.asp?ind=50 some nice stuff a lot closer to you than to me.

Just a start.

Jim

Charles Wilson
04-10-2007, 2:51 PM
All the numbers are from the IRS auctions?

Chuck

Jim Becker
04-10-2007, 3:29 PM
The thing to remember about IRS Auctions (nothing to do with the govt!) is the buyer's premium and the certified funds requirement upon close of the auction.