PDA

View Full Version : It's not a gloat if you don't like it

Andrew Williams
04-09-2007, 3:29 PM
Just brought home the PC 557 biscuit joiner. I did a few test joints and the biscuits were pretty loose. After reading up a bit on SMC I thought maybe it had an arbor flange issue so I did a few tests...

Tried it with no glue and a water-soaked biscuit, joints fit fairly well but not really tight.

Measured the outside size of a dry biscuit at .163 which is slightly LARGER than 5/32 anyway. The water soaked biscuit is .170. The carbide tip on the blade measured at .156 (the correct size).

My assumption is that the blade has enough wobble to cut a too-wide groove (measured the groove at .175).

Opened the unit up, removed the arbor nut. The blade will not come off, as if it is glued to the arbor.

Needless to say, this is not what I expected from PC, so I am now calling them and in to about 8 minutes of hold....

Jason Beam
04-09-2007, 3:32 PM
That's too bad you're having troubles ... I have the same unit and haven't had any troubles like that.... Not to stir the pot, but it's pretty easy to be the cause of loose slots. I know my first few cuts were a little unsteady and those slots were off quite a bit. For me, it takes great care to ensure that i'm feeding the cutter in absolutely smooth and flat. Even the slightest tip up or down will widen those slots.

glenn bradley
04-09-2007, 3:34 PM
That would not be what I would expect. My 557 type 3 cuts a slot that barely fits the Bosch biscuits I picked up at the BORG. I have even been concerned that they are too tight and that the expansion may cause bumps (hasn't been a problem yet). I hope they are able to resolve this for you quickly. From my experience the biscuits fit nice and (almost too) snug.

Andrew Williams
04-09-2007, 3:41 PM
Well, calling them did not help since I got someone there who knew nothing and said a tech might call me back. I was told to go to a service center. I told them it was brand new so I might just go and exchange it. I will try one more joint on a flat piece of stock, just the slightest depth and check it for width.

3 more joints cut..each one measures exactly .183 on the dial caliper. biscuits are .162. I am taking it back.

If the second one is also bad then....i don't know.

Greg Cole
04-09-2007, 3:46 PM
I have the same tool without the problems.... and I've been using mine for about 2 years now.

PC is now just another brand name under a much larger corporate roof... lets hope this isn't a trend. Then again, I've never looked inside mine, so maybe I am opening mouth & inserting foot... The "glue" could simply be loc-tite put on the arbor nut at the factory? Thinking out loud....

You could always return it and put the $ towards a Domino....or at least the systainer with the tenons. :D Just funning.... there will be a surplus of used ones for sale soon as the domino's deliver. Lamello's aren't worth it new IMHO, but a nice used one could be had at a reduced price.

I would consider exchanging or returning it though.

Greg

Ed Nelson978
04-09-2007, 3:59 PM
Quick question. Were you supporting the PC on the fence only or off a reference board? If I can, I set the board I'm cutting on a reference surface (workbench) and also set the base of the PC on the same surface. Might be worth a try before you make a run back to the store!

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-09-2007, 4:03 PM
Just take it back. You said it's new. It's supposed to work like it's new.
ERGO: get one that will.

Andrew Williams
04-09-2007, 4:16 PM
Quick question. Were you supporting the PC on the fence only or off a reference board? If I can, I set the board I'm cutting on a reference surface (workbench) and also set the base of the PC on the same surface. Might be worth a try before you make a run back to the store!

I supported the cut in several different ways, each time the cut measured at exactly the same (too wide) width.

I recieved a call back from a knowledgeable tech from PC who said that the issue of too-wide cut has not been an issue since the type 1. He also said he had never heard of a blade that would not come off easily. I only hope that HD will exchange it and the second one works.

Pete Brown
04-09-2007, 4:52 PM
I supported the cut in several different ways, each time the cut measured at exactly the same (too wide) width.

I recieved a call back from a knowledgeable tech from PC who said that the issue of too-wide cut has not been an issue since the type 1. He also said he had never heard of a blade that would not come off easily. I only hope that HD will exchange it and the second one works.

You will almost certainly not have a problem with the exchange as long as you have a receipt. If you do get a hard time, ask for a manager. HD and Lowes (if you have a receipt) are pretty good that way.

Pete

glenn bradley
04-09-2007, 5:31 PM
I'd say you've been thorough and specific in your testing. All indications seem to point to a bad unit.

Andrew Williams
04-09-2007, 5:45 PM
OK, back with the new one and it seems much better. The blade removes easily and the arbor flange seems fairly well machined. I cannot test the machine for runout but it plows a groove of .163 which is a bit larger than a dry biscuit and a bit smaller than a wet one, so I'm keeping it as is.

As far as how I feel about it.... hmm... I am smart enough to know that we now live in an era where name brands are nothing more than a commodity to be traded on an exchange. Frankly, I'm still not really happy about it, because it makes me feel like with a top name like PC, you should get a tested product, every time. It's nice to have one that works. I just hope that at some point in the future, the people who make the tools decide to have some of the standards of those who use them. I am thankful that the knowledgeable guy did call me rather quickly.

I thought about mail ordering a Lamello before deciding on the PC. I just could not see putting that size investment in a tool that I would use sporadically at most. I am going to think about it, and if I decide eventually that this qualifies as a gloat then I will snap a pic of it, but at the moment, no.

Ray Scheller
04-09-2007, 5:58 PM
I have the Lamello Top 20 and it's worth every penny I paid for it. I had the same issue with the DeWalt plate joiner as you had with the PC. :mad: The Lamello cuts perfect fitting slots everytime with no "slop". Take the PC back and get a Lamello, you won't be sorry.:D

Peter Stahl
04-09-2007, 6:44 PM
You might try a different brand of biscuits. I have a dewalt and bought a case of #20's when WW Warehouse was around and they fit snug, not tight. I would measure the blade thickness and see how much difference there is between that and the biscuits. A small amount of runout could cause a loose fit though. Cutting a biscuit slot you need to keep it still until the blade is retracted too. I wouldn't get a Lamello because of the price but I thought I would never buy a Festool saw either.

glenn bradley
04-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Sounds like you should be OK now. I don't use mine often, but when I do it's a real pleasure.

Paul Johnstone
04-11-2007, 1:35 PM
My assumption is that the blade has enough wobble to cut a too-wide groove (measured the groove at .175).

There's an adjustment screw that let's you set the width of the cut exactly where you want it. Basically, you want the blade to plunge slightly less if you want a narrower cut.

The adjustment knob effects all biscuit sizes, but you'll probably use the largest biscuit 95% of the time anyhow... No big deal to fine tune for other size biscuits if it's that important to you.

Personally, I like the grooves a little wide so I can align the wood if I have too. Better that the slot be a little too wide/too deep than too shallow/too narrow at glue up time.

Andrew Williams
04-11-2007, 1:36 PM
We are talking about the width of the groove, the kerf.

There's an adjustment screw that let's you set the width of the cut exactly where you want it. Basically, you want the blade to plunge slightly less if you want a narrower cut.

The adjustment knob effects all biscuit sizes, but you'll probably use the largest biscuit 95% of the time anyhow... No big deal to fine tune for other size biscuits if it's that important to you.

Personally, I like the grooves a little wide so I can align the wood if I have too. Better that the slot be a little too wide/too deep than too shallow/too narrow at glue up time.

Paul Johnstone
04-11-2007, 1:40 PM
We are talking about the width of the groove, the kerf.

Ok.. that makes more sense..