PDA

View Full Version : Finally ordered a jointer

John A. Williams
04-09-2007, 3:24 PM
well, I finally ordered an new Jointer. An 8" G0490. I considered a 12" G0690 and the jointer/planer combo. My decsision was based on funds, room available, built in mobile base, availabilty. What do I need to look out for, I've read about, belt adjusting, anything else?
John

Bill Eshelman
04-09-2007, 3:32 PM
Watch out for your boards suddenly being really straight and flat. It can be hard to comprehend at first.

Congrats..
Enjoy!

Art Mann
04-09-2007, 6:00 PM
Pardon me if you already have some experience and know this. I have noticed most new users try to take too much material off in one pass. I probably remove 1/32" or less per pass and do multiple passes.

John A. Williams
04-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I prefer to take light passes, easier on the blades, and I am a hobbiest woodworker, so a few extra passes is no big deal.
John

Allen Bookout
04-10-2007, 12:34 AM
You are going to love it John. Of course we could all use a larger one if we had the space and funds. I got one of the first ones and it had zero problems and has zero problems. It was perfect as delivered and I hope that you have the same experience.

John A. Williams
04-10-2007, 7:51 AM
Thanks Allen, thats what I like to hear. I have great confidence that Grizzley will deliver a quality tool.
John

Ted Miller
04-10-2007, 10:09 AM
John, Table flatness, fence alignment, blade alignment and check the DC part of the machine. I often find to many places with crevice openings so I tape up all the spots I can find so the dust moves like it should...

Greg Cole
04-10-2007, 10:22 AM
I too will say you will love it. If you've never had one, you will ask why you haven't. I lament not buying a Shelix head for mine when I bought the tool, but ah well. Keep the HSS ones sharp and they will do well.
1/32" is PLENTY for a pass, for some of the figured lumber I've run on mine, I've found that 1/32" is way tooooo much.
I took about 100 bf of red elm this past weekend, which LOML said looked like "junk" when we picked it up. Some 9' boards were cupped at least 1/2"....
When I showed her a stickered & stackered pile of FLAT, straight and nicely grained lumber Sunday afternoon... she too understood the value of some of the cast iron in the garage.
Don't forget pics for the police here.....

Enjoy.

Greg

Allen Bookout
04-10-2007, 1:19 PM
John,

One thing that I forgot to mention but you may have already see the threads on this subject. If you look at the dust chute you will see that it is open on the top and it does not do a good job when you hook your dust collector to it. Chips may fly out the top. If you close the top of that chute with a piece of plywood or something the dust collection is excellent. Here is a picture of the cabinet upside down and you can see the piece of plywood that I glued in to close the chute up.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e278/apache3/dscf0020dustchute.jpg