PDA

View Full Version : Ya might be a redneck if...

Greg Cole
04-09-2007, 2:41 PM
I might be a redneck for using a shim worth as much as one of the boards I milled this weekend.
I decided to bring my little Ridgid lunchbox home this weekend.
My shop floor ay home is less than perfectly flat nor level. Usually do the initial heavy hogging at the shop at work, to keep the noise out of the house & neighborhood.
For a quick shim, I snagged the nearest thin piece I could find (from recently re-sawing a spalted maple board for a jewelry box for LOML). After a few hours planing & flattening on the jointer.... I stopped to empty the DC. Also opted for some malted barley to rinse down the dust (good excuse anyway, the DC does FANTASTIC actually). After the refreshment I sort of chuckled to myself about the shim stock... "purtiest shim I've ever used" or something like that.... Maybe the boredom of repetitive planing & jointing got to me.... or maybe I like to laugh at my redneck self too.
Enjoy for whatever its worth.

Greg

Larry Fox
04-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Certainly better than the shim under one corner of my Uni. It is a piece of 12-2 Romex that was lying nearby when I set it in place and said that I would get to it later (that was 2 years ago). :)