PDA

View Full Version : A Cedar bowl

Terry Quiram
12-25-2003, 7:31 PM
First of all thanks to Bob Lasley for the Cedar. It made its way home from Terry Hatfield's shindig. I was able to cut this board into 6 blanks. This is the first bowl and it was a Christmas present for mom. It is 9" dia and 4" tall with a strong 1/4" wall. Three coats of Watco's natural and Beal buffed.

Terry

Mike Leonard
12-25-2003, 7:47 PM
Very very nice Terry. Your mom must be really pleased. I have recently begun to use a mini lathe. Although, I am having some success with pens I have tried a couple of bowls that did not make it to completion. I know, practice, practice, practice. I have some beautiful black walnut from one of my trees that I would love to make bowls out of but will wait until I get more proficient.

Bob Lasley
12-25-2003, 8:29 PM
Terry,

You are welcome. Glad to see that big hunk of cedar turn into something so beautiful. You are a master of metamorphosis! (That's too big a word for me, not even sure I spelled it right. Let's just say you make some darn purty things out of old pieces of wood)

Merry Christmas,
Bob

Mark Singer
12-25-2003, 9:10 PM
First of all thanks to Bob Lasley for the Cedar. It made its way home from Terry Hatfield's shindig. I was able to cut this board into 6 blanks. This is the first bowl and it was a Christmas present for mom. It is 9" dia and 4" tall with a strong 1/4" wall. Three coats of Watco's natural and Beal buffed.

Terry

Terry,
Very fine work, excellent finish!
Merry Christmas
mark

John Miliunas
12-25-2003, 9:12 PM
That'd be one fine Christmas present, Terry and one, which I'm sure, "mom" will truly appreciate today AND tomorrow! Best wishes! :cool:

Ace Karner
12-25-2003, 9:30 PM
That slab of cedar didn't look anything like that the last time I saw it !!

Great looking bowl

Merry Christmas to you and the better half.

Ace

Dave Smith
12-25-2003, 10:29 PM
Most excellent my friend. I have a cedar bowl half done along with about 50 others now I see what to look forward to.

I asked once before, but maybe you didn't see the post, do you want some alder. It is 5/4 rough 8 to 12 inches wide. Some pieces are cracked ends and others have defects. If you are interested let me know. Same deal as the last time.

Dave Smith

Pushing wood in Longview, WA.