PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple Compote

Steve Schlumpf
04-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Had some curly maple boards that were so warped they could never be used for flatwork. Started off making a set of large candleholders but the wife didn’t like them – so, removed the tops and turned them into compotes. My biggest design criteria was simply to showcase the wood. They are intended for use as a dining room / kitchen table centerpieces. As both compotes are very similar I figured I would only post one of them.
62104 62107 62106 62105
Overall height: 6 7/8”
Top Diameter: 10 ˝”
Depth of top: 5/8” with thickness tapering from 1/8” on edge to 5/16” at center
Pedestal: 4 7/8” x 1 7/8” at largest diameter
Base Diameter: 5”
Finish: 2 coats Watco Natural Danish Oil, 7 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly, buffed
Known problem areas: very small random areas of chip-out on the top, pedestal/top joinery separated as the glue was drying (figure I didn’t have it weighted down correctly)

As always your comments / critiques are welcome.

In keeping with the post that Chris started on ‘real/true’ critiques I ask for your input as to what you like/dislike about the compote, the form, the finish, etc. and what – if anything – I should modify in order to improve. Be honest and hopefully we can all learn something.

Thanks in advance.

Benjamin Dahl
04-09-2007, 1:00 PM
Steve, I really the finish and think you did a great job in highlighting the wood.
Ben

Jonathon Spafford
04-09-2007, 1:20 PM
Absolutely stunning wood and awesome piece... this one is very hard to find something wrong with. After looking at it a couple minutes I thought maybe the stand/base (spindle part) was a tad too long in relation to the diamter of platter. I also the the foot might be a bit heavy, but this is a bolder piece so it was hard to tell. The base is hard to criticize because it shows off that grain beautifully ;) Anyway, I am curious to see others comments... it would be easier to critique it in person... this one looks pretty close to perfect ;)

Mark Pruitt
04-09-2007, 2:00 PM
That is extremely pretty! Ratio of base diameter to top diameter is spot on. So is the height/diameter of the column. Great piece!

Jim Becker
04-09-2007, 2:16 PM
Wow...a lot of action in that beautiful maple! Nice work on a great centerpiece!

Paul Engle
04-09-2007, 2:51 PM
Nice work Steve, everything looks great. but I thought compote was what you spread on the garden :eek: .... or like a tart with fruit :eek: .....

Nancy Laird
04-09-2007, 2:52 PM
Steve, I find this piece to be absolutely stunning. I love the graining in this piece, but I would take a little bit off the top of the spindle--maybe half an inch, so the base/spindle flows into the bottom of the top rather than looking like the two individual pieces that it is. Of course, now that it's glued together, it would be a little difficult to take apart to make any modifications, but if you try a similar piece, you might want to take that into consideration. Otherwise, it's a gorgeous piece and I'd be proud to have it in the middle of my dining table.

Nancy

George Tokarev
04-09-2007, 5:36 PM
Don't know but I would have made the base to be weighted with lead and plugged, personally. Nothing worse than a tippy table ornament. Nice wood, no doubt. If only we could teach those sawyers to give us more quarter versus more flat grain, eh?

Neal Addy
04-09-2007, 9:04 PM
Wow! This is fantastic! I don't see anything I don't like but there's an awful lot I do. It goes without saying that the wood is gorgeous but you really did a nice job showing it off. The finish is "So Fine"! The pedestal/base looks nice and sturdy without looking clunky, and I really like the stem design.

Top-shelf work, Steve. Congrats!

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Steve it is beautiful. The wood is really stunning. Nice job.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-10-2007, 8:26 AM
Steve, let me first say I agree with everyone about the wood and basic form. I don't think I have seen that much figure in a work before and it is beautiful. Jonathon brings up an interesting point and then when Nancy confirms it. It really does stand to reason. I would certainly see that as a valid point. My thoughts center around the dish part of the turning. This is only a question, because the photos are not quite close enough to really see. I can't tell if the inside bottom edge is sharp and defined or if there is a somewhat recessed cut in the bottom that is defining it. If the second is the case, then, is that what was intended or were you having difficulty there? If the edge is just sharp and distinct then please take no notice of this question. I do think you have done a wonderful job on this and you should be very proud of it.:)

Glenn Hodges
04-10-2007, 9:15 AM
That is a wonderful way to show off that spectacular wood, great job.

Keith Burns
04-10-2007, 9:16 AM
Steve, overall a really great job. Great wood and finish. The only thing I see that I would change would be to have the platter rounded rather than a sharp corner. The proportions/size look good to me. Great job !!

Doug Collins
04-10-2007, 9:47 AM
Not owning a compote, I first had to google it to see what one was.

From the pics I saw, the proportions look great. I agree with George about weighting the base so it doesn't get tippy when you've got the top loaded with an assortment of fruit like a Carmen Miranda hat.

The wood is beautiful!

Terry Quiram
04-10-2007, 5:14 PM
Thats some very nice eye candy. Great save on the crooked board.

Jim Ketron
04-10-2007, 8:09 PM
Nice Piece Steve!
Beautiful!

Pete Jordan
04-10-2007, 8:23 PM
Steve,

I like the attention that you take to finishing. It really shows!
You also taught me a new word "compote"

Steve Schlumpf
04-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks everyone for all the great comments. Figured I would take advantage of the new multi-quote feature and give a little feedback.

I thought maybe the stand/base (spindle part) was a tad too long in relation to the diamter of platter. I also the the foot might be a bit heavy

I would take a little bit off the top of the spindle--maybe half an inch, so the base/spindle flows into the bottom of the top rather than looking like the two individual pieces that it is.

To a large degree I agree with both of your comments and if I had designed this from the beginning to be a compote the spindle would have been slightly shorter. I did have my hands somewhat tied this time around as the base, spindle and the bottom mount under the dish portion were already turned and glued together (was initially going to be a candleholder) - so I ended up using them 'as is'.

I can't tell if the inside bottom edge is sharp and defined or if there is a somewhat recessed cut in the bottom that is defining it.
Chris, hopefully the new software you turned me on to will help display the area in question - if not, I did intentionally make a sharp edge inside the dish and while I never noticed it - the reflections/shadows in the photo sure makes it look like I cut a recess.

Don't know but I would have made the base to be weighted with lead and plugged

George, great idea - just something I had never thought of before! Next time around I will see what I can figure out!

I want to thank everyone for their input - it all helps!