PDA

View Full Version : Planer stand finished

Bryan Somers
04-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Heres a planer stand I've been woorking on for several weeks based loosely on the previous Shopnotes issue plans. Made from birch ply, face is trimmed in maple. Double locking casters on the front, non castering wheels on the back.Side tables are hinged and support arms are also hinged. Finished with BLO. Alot of first for me on this project. First time using rough lumber that I jointed and planed (sweet), first time with dados and rabbits first time with no mechanical fasteners.

62099 62100

It was tricky getting the side tables straigh and in plane with each other but their pretty close

62101 62102

Just swing the arm supports against the side and let the tables pivot down for stowage.

Some lessons learned during this project
1 I like using oil.
2 Borg ply is crap but suitible for this project.
3 Be prepared to curse and swear when a slip happens during glue-ups.
4 Curse and swear some more when sanding dried glue caused from previous mishap.
5 Cut all peices of the same width at the same time, this will prevent more of #3 & 4
7 Maple burns real easy but looks great with oil.
8 When milling lumber and you discover you have nice figuring with some curl in it put it away get another piece and smile because it did'nt come out of the curly maple stack at the lumber supplier. :D

glenn bradley
04-09-2007, 1:06 PM
Great looking stand. That should serve you well. I like having my planer on a mobile stand (mine flips, with the CMS on the other side). I can bring it to where I need it, adjust for long pieces and put it back in it's slot when I'm done. I think you'll be very happy.

John Schreiber
04-09-2007, 1:13 PM
Very nice. I like the side tables hinged in the middle so that they come right up to the plane. I've never noticed that detail before.