PDA

View Full Version : Gripper system

John Miliunas
12-25-2003, 4:19 PM
I've got the Gripper System and am really, really happy with it. So much so, that when using some of my other "stock" pushers, I'm really starting to be very UNhappy with them! Among other things, the Gripper is very adjustable to all kinds of special configurations. BUT, I'd be happy to have a couple or three more that do nothing except what a normal pusher does. The thing being, all the regular ones I've ever seen have that chintsy foam pad, which at times even has a tendency to slip, making it somewhat unsafe.

The big question here is: Anybody know of a vendor selling pushers with the same or similar pad material as those of the Gripper? Yes, I realize you can get a more "basic" version of the Gripper, but it's still a heckuva' lot more than a guy often needs. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! :cool:

Mark Singer
12-25-2003, 6:45 PM
I've got the Gripper System and am really, really happy with it. So much so, that when using some of my other "stock" pushers, I'm really starting to be very UNhappy with them! Among other things, the Gripper is very adjustable to all kinds of special configurations. BUT, I'd be happy to have a couple or three more that do nothing except what a normal pusher does. The thing being, all the regular ones I've ever seen have that chintsy foam pad, which at times even has a tendency to slip, making it somewhat unsafe.

The big question here is: Anybody know of a vendor selling pushers with the same or similar pad material as those of the Gripper? Yes, I realize you can get a more "basic" version of the Gripper, but it's still a heckuva' lot more than a guy often needs. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! :cool:

Hi John,
What is the gripper and where do you get it? It sounds good. Merry Christmas.
Mark

Ken Garlock
12-25-2003, 7:15 PM
Hi John,
Mark

Hi Mark. Take a look at Grr-ripper (http://www.microjig.com/GRR-Ripper.htm) for the full low-down on the accessory for your table saw.

Merry Christmas....

John Miliunas
12-25-2003, 7:18 PM
Hi John,
Mark

Mark, I picked mine up at Woodcraft, though I think I've seen it elsewhere but, can't remember where. You can check it out at the Woodcraft site. Don't let the high price tag scare you! Like any quality tool, it's not cheap, but man, does it do a wonderful job! If I recall correctly, our friendly Power Tool Forum moderator also has one of these and speaks very highly of it. (He's the one who gave me the notion to check it out!) Anyhow, if I could just find a "simple" version of it, as in regular pushers, I'd get a *bunch* of them. If not, I'm still considering a second one! And, Happy Ho, Ho back at 'ya! :cool:

Gene Collison
12-25-2003, 7:27 PM
Hi John,
Mark

Mark,

I am pretty sure this is a stocked item at the new Woodcraft in Stanton on Beach. Without looking it up in their catalog, I recall $50. but I may be wrong. Merry Christmas.......

Gene

Mark Singer
12-25-2003, 7:51 PM
Mark,

I am pretty sure this is a stocked item at the new Woodcraft in Stanton on Beach. Without looking it up in their catalog, I recall $50. but I may be wrong. Merry Christmas.......

Gene

Hi,
Thanks for the tip...It looks pretty good and adds safety to working with small pieces. Do you use it?
Merry Christmas
Mark

Mark Singer
12-25-2003, 7:56 PM
Mark, I picked mine up at Woodcraft, though I think I've seen it elsewhere but, can't remember where. You can check it out at the Woodcraft site. Don't let the high price tag scare you! Like any quality tool, it's not cheap, but man, does it do a wonderful job! If I recall correctly, our friendly Power Tool Forum moderator also has one of these and speaks very highly of it. (He's the one who gave me the notion to check it out!) Anyhow, if I could just find a "simple" version of it, as in regular pushers, I'd get a *bunch* of them. If not, I'm still considering a second one! And, Happy Ho, Ho back at 'ya! :cool:

Thanks John,
It looks good I think i'll pick one up at woodcraft... Anything that adds safety is worth investing in.
Merry Christmas.
Mark

Mark Singer
12-25-2003, 7:58 PM
Hi Mark. Take a look at Grr-ripper (http://www.microjig.com/GRR-Ripper.htm) for the full low-down on the accessory for your table saw.

Merry Christmas....

Ken ,
Thanks, It looks good Somebodies always coming up with something new.
Merry Christmas.
Mark

Sam Chambers
12-25-2003, 9:37 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Singer]
Mark, Jointech also sells the Grrripper and they run specials from time to time. Don't know if they're running any specials right now, though. They're at www.jointech.com

Keith Outten
12-25-2003, 10:06 PM
Geez Guys! We just did a FreeStuff Drawing from MicroJig for a Gripper. Go to the FreeStuff Forum and cherck out the links.

John,

You will find that the President of MicroJig is a really nice guy and his email address is listed, ask Henry about another jig and what your options are.

Henry sent me one of the MicroJigs and their new DVD, you won't believe how many different configurations the jig is capable of...get the DVD.

Anybody want to do a bulk buy...we could ask Henry if it's possible for us to purchase 100 jigs as a group.

John Miliunas
12-25-2003, 10:29 PM
John,

You will find that the President of MicroJig is a really nice guy and his email address is listed, ask Henry about another jig and what your options are.

Keith, would the email address for just "sales" at microjig get me to Henry? You're absolutely right that it's a fantastic jig and can be configured for many, many tasks, but I'd really be interested in a much more basic version, as long as it has the same gripping material on its belly. I could easily see one of those at the TS to be used as a helper, but could also see a pair over at the jointer, BS and even the sanding station. I'd be good for, at least, two pair of something like that, but at even $50.00 for the Basic Gripper, that's a big chunk of change. Heck, a guy can buy a pair of the "regular" pushers out there for eight or nine bucks but, in my opinion, they're junk. I'd be willing to pay twice or even three times as much for ones that really work!

If you can verify an email addy to him, I'd be happy to drop him a line and see if anything like that is even viable. Thanks! :cool:

Mark Singer
12-25-2003, 11:05 PM
Geez Guys! We just did a FreeStuff Drawing from MicroJig for a Gripper. Go to the FreeStuff Forum and cherck out the links.

John,

Henry sent me one of the MicroJigs and their new DVD, you won't believe how many different configurations the jig is capable of...get the DVD.

Anybody want to do a bulk buy...we could ask Henry if it's possible for us to purchase 100 jigs as a group.
Keith,
Great idea I am good for 1!
Thanks and Merry Christmas,
Mark

EliotMason
12-26-2003, 1:59 AM
I just gave my dad one. Saw it at the same store John bought his at. My dad is playing around with wood bending and cutting a lot of thin strips, too thin for the kickback pawls to work and too thin for standard push sticks. These faults caused some kickback. The Gripper will get down to 1/4" and still nicely support the piece.

John: How do you deal with a splitter? Do you take it out, or does your splitter fit underneath the Gripper? Seems like a case for a combination of the Biesemeyer splitter with the Gripper - use one or the other, quick change either way.

And yes - a cheaper, basic version would be great!

Mike Leonard
12-26-2003, 6:58 AM
Keith,
Put me down for 1.

Glenn Clabo
12-26-2003, 7:23 AM

Great idea Keith.

John Miliunas
12-26-2003, 9:54 AM
I just gave my dad one. Saw it at the same store John bought his at. My dad is playing around with wood bending and cutting a lot of thin strips, too thin for the kickback pawls to work and too thin for standard push sticks. These faults caused some kickback. The Gripper will get down to 1/4" and still nicely support the piece.

John: How do you deal with a splitter? Do you take it out, or does your splitter fit underneath the Gripper? Seems like a case for a combination of the Biesemeyer splitter with the Gripper - use one or the other, quick change either way.

Eliot, in my pre-Bridgewood days, my inserts were zero clearance and I would glue the splitter in place on the insert. Otherwise, you're right about it presenting a good case for the Biesey splitter. So much so, that I finally bit the big one and outfit the BW with one. Simple to use and very effective. When using the Gripper for thin slices and "bridge-ing" over the blade, there is little/no use for a splitter, so I simply pop it out. Granted, I was a bit leary about doing that at first, but the dearn thing (Gripper) does such a fine job of holding the object AND "drop" pieces so well, I'm real confident in using it without the splitter.

Yup, it does an awesome job in every respect it was designed for, but I still yearn for a super-stripped down version to use just as a pusher! :cool:

Mark Singer
12-26-2003, 10:15 AM
Great idea Keith.
when do we do it?
Mark

Ken Garlock
12-26-2003, 11:19 AM
Keith, add me to the list for a Grr-Ripper. Either model is fine....

Mike Johnson
12-26-2003, 1:19 PM
Put me down for one. Only 97 to go!

Ed Falis
12-26-2003, 5:23 PM
... Any suggestions greatly appreciated! :cool:

Get another gripper, make a couple of different default configurations for them ;-)

- Ed

Ed Falis
12-26-2003, 5:25 PM

That's a fine idea, Keith.

- Ed

Ed Falis
12-26-2003, 5:28 PM

Eliot,

I have a Brett-Guard, which comes with a pretty small splitter. I leave it on - it fits under the gripper.

- Ed

Rob Littleton
12-26-2003, 8:38 PM
I got a Grripper on one of my leisure trips to Woodcraft while on a business trip in Dallas. Didnt use it (nor show the wife the receipt) but I went to a wood show in San Mateo a couple of days later after getting home and they had them there and my wife was very adament I should get one.....hmmmm....do I tell her...OK, I told her and the guy showed me a reason why I need 2. Very valid. I have 2 and think they are great. By the way, make sure if you have them, you use them (he says typing with one finger severly bandaged from neglecting to use his 2!!!!!!!!!!!Table saw 1, Rob 0)

Keith Outten
12-26-2003, 11:25 PM
It's done!

Read my new thread concerning the discount that Henry Wang of MicroJig is offering SawMill Creek Members though our sponsor. The good news is that we don't have to buy 100 jigs to get a nice discount. We can order in lots of twelve.

Rob is right, after watching the DVD I can see that I will need to purchase one more GRR-Ripper for my shop.

John Appleseed
01-02-2007, 11:16 AM
I can't find your link to another thread here......

Jim Becker
01-02-2007, 11:22 AM
John, this thread is from 2003.

Jim
SMC Moderator

John Lohmann
01-02-2007, 11:54 AM
I have the advanced one with the mj splitter, it goes right over it. I'd like to get another one but I can't find the price or link on this website.

Mark Singer
01-02-2007, 11:57 AM
John, this thread is from 2003.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Jim,
It is like a time machine....we are moving backward...now I now what stocks to buy and when to sell.....I can avoid my woodworking mistakes before they happen....I get another shot at getting it right! ...Shhh....quiet!:rolleyes:

glenn bradley
01-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi Mark,
First off, love your work and you detailed posts. Just a 'feel good' shot for the New Year; I've learned a lot from your postings and have applied several of your techniques that have improved my limited skills. that being said I ponied up the dough for a couple Grr-Rippers and they are great. I thought they were just a push-block that had been over-developed and was sort of gimmicky. Not at all. they are a solid accessory and I've become immediately addicted. (No, I don't get a kickback for each item sold).

As to John's post; FWIW the "skin" side of scuba wet-suit material has a better grip than the 'mouse pad' material used on some of the other pads I've tried.

john whittaker
01-02-2007, 12:53 PM
I bought a Gripper way back in the year 2006....now it has disappered back to the future:eek: ..... Or would that be back into the past?:rolleyes:

Chris DiCiaccio
01-02-2007, 1:06 PM
Just like to say I have had two for a good while now and would not like to do without them. They have replaced my others. I would encourage you to consider getting two instead of one. They are that good and with two you can walk a longer board through with confidence, just by leap frogging one gripper over the other. No affiliation, just a very pleased user.

Julio Navarro
01-02-2007, 3:02 PM
I just ordered the Gripper from Peachtree and cant waite to get it!

I'll make a full report as soon as I use it.

glenn bradley
01-02-2007, 3:18 PM
I got the advanced unit here:
http://www.woodpeck.com/gripper.html
They sell it with all the add-ons except the handle bridge for the same price as most sell just the base unit.
Example:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=49712&cat=1,43000

Dan Forman
01-02-2007, 3:44 PM
The big question here is: Anybody know of a vendor selling pushers with the same or similar pad material as those of the Gripper?

This stuff should let you make some basdic pushers of your own. Also with the "paddle type" jointer stock pushers. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32184&cat=1,110,43466 I find that I prefer something that has a small hook on the end that grabs the stock rather than only relying on friction to bring it along. By hook I mean just a little wood that engages the end of the stock.

I'm finding that with my overhead dc blade guard, I need to rethink my safety procedures, the thing sure does get in the way now. One drawback to the Gripper is that it would seem to preclude the use of above table dc. I guess for SawStop owners that is less of an issue. That said, I might still be interested in a group buy, so please keep me posted.

Dan

Dick Bringhurst
01-02-2007, 3:51 PM
Keith, I'm good for one. Dick B.

Blaine Harrison
01-02-2007, 4:14 PM
This stuff should let you make some basdic pushers of your own. Also with the "paddle type" jointer stock pushers, I find that I prefer something that has a small hook on the end that grabs the stock rather than only relying on friction to bring it along. By hook I mean just a little wood that engages the end of the stock.

I'm finding that with my overhead dc blade guard, I need to rethink my safety procedures, the thing sure does get in the way now. One drawback to the Gripper is that it would seem to preclude the use of above table dc. I guess for SawStop owners that is less of an issue. That said, I might still be interested in a group buy, so please keep me posted.

Dan

I think one of the accessories for the Grr-ripper is a hooked piece. It's for wider pieces, if I remember correctly, but not for the narrow pieces where the Grr-ripper excels.

I have a Grr-ripper and really like it. I'd buy a second one at the right price, so I'll have to check the sponsor's links. However, there are those who feel the jig promotes less than safe operations. (I do not agree.) Their arguement is that you have your hand over the cutter (tablesaw blade, router bit, jointer blades) at some point in the operation. On the tablesaw operation, you have your hand/arm extended beyond the blade when pushing the work piece through the cut, which they feel is dangerous. Take a look on Woodnet (can I say that?) and search for the links and you'll see both sides of the story.

Happy New Year, all!

Blaine

Julio Navarro
01-02-2007, 4:28 PM
for SawStop owners that is less of an issue. That said, I might still be interested in a group buy, so please keep me posted.

Dan

Speaking of the Saw Stop, I wonder if the change in charge from the Gripper to the wood if the Gripper comes in contact with the Saw Stop will it trip the mechanism?

Also, about the overhead DC hood..that is a good question. I have an overhead hood and am thinking that it will get in the way.

Isnt that always the case: When you think youve solved it you get a curve ball thrown at you.

Chris Rosenberger
01-02-2007, 5:04 PM
Here is a link to Hartville Tool. They have the deluxe gripper on sale.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11506

Joe Unni
01-02-2007, 5:18 PM
...Their arguement is that you have your hand over the cutter (tablesaw blade, router bit, jointer blades) at some point in the operation. On the tablesaw operation, you have your hand/arm extended beyond the blade when pushing the work piece through the cut, which they feel is dangerous...

This was my experience in my one opportunity to try one - in a classroom setting! As a vertically challenged guy (5'3") I actually was on my tip toes while my arm was fully extended beyond the blade. And because I didn't have enough downward pressure to engage the grippy material sufficiently, the Gripper actually began to slide on the work. I've never been so scared!!!

Thanks for the offer Keith, but I think I'll pass.

-joe

Dan Forman
01-02-2007, 5:25 PM
I just edited my previous post to include the link to LV's super high friction tape.

dan

Fred Krueger
01-02-2007, 6:06 PM
OK, I'm new here, so please excuse a novice question. It appears to use the Gripper I would remove the blade guard. Is that right? Is that wise? Secondly, how does this work on long pieces of stock? At one of the sites it says it works good for long stock, but the piece they're demonstrating is about 18".

Thanks in advance.

(I got a Woodcraft gift certificate for Christmas and this would be perfect. Who says brothers-in-law aren't good for anything?) :)

Al Willits
01-02-2007, 6:39 PM
I'm figuring the Gripper won't work with the Buddy wheels I just bought???

Al

Scott Vigder
01-02-2007, 7:02 PM
Keith -
I'm in as well.

I bought a GriPPer about three months ago and I am much more confident (read:less scared) when I use my beastly X5.

Seriously, the GriPPer really helps stabilize the cut as you apply downward and inward pressure to the workpiece. I'd like a second one so I can "leapfrog" with two units on longer pieces.

Don Bullock
01-02-2007, 7:14 PM

John,

I'm in for one for sure. Maybe two.

Rob Blaustein
01-03-2007, 7:45 PM
This time warp has got me all confused...

There have been a number of spirited arguments here about this system over the past few years. The naysayers' main argument, if I recall, is their firm belief that one should never run one's hand directly over the spinning blade, and that proper use of the right type of push blocks or other jigs will accomplish the same thing.

I have two of them (Grrippers, not naysayers) and really like them. Although you can use them as general push sticks all the time, I think they really excel at two tasks--ripping narrow stock, or cutting fairly short pieces (i.e. around the same length as the blade). I think the board buddies would help a lot with narrow rips (or the Grip Tites) but I can't think of an easy way to cut short pieces. The Grripper really makes that an easy and safe task. In fact the one time I had a kickback episode was when I was first using my saw and I was excited to try it out so tried to cut a short (6") piece of wood and had trouble keeping it down and to the fence with my crappy push stick. Whoosh--it zoomed by ear at warp 10.

It's true as Dan points that an overarm guard gets in the way when using them for those tasks, so I get less than optimal dust collection in those situations but figure the ease of making the cut outweighs the extra dust. And yes, I end up replacing my Bies splitter with my MicroJig splitter when using them. Having two Grrippers is nice when ripping longer pieces.

Jim Becker
01-03-2007, 8:14 PM
Again, folks...this thread was resurected from late 2003 by "John Appleseed" and the Gripper Bulk Buy referred to in Keith's post would have been in early 2004.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Don Bullock
01-03-2007, 8:15 PM
Oh well, it was a good idea. Thanks Jim.

Mike Holbrook
01-03-2007, 10:40 PM
I am pretty much with Rob on this one. I recently ripped 550 feet of trim board from 16' stock. I was a little nervous running the gripper over the blade at first but, I was glad to have it after the first board. Might need a second one myself.

I have the micro splitter but never installed it when I saw how close it would be to the finger hole in my table saw. I may revisit that decision now that I am more comfortable with the Gripper.

Jerry Olexa
01-16-2007, 9:27 PM
I bought one about 2 years ago mostly for safety reasons. At the same time, I bought a splitter for my TS. Must admit the Grrripper has been gathering dust and not being used. The splitter I use ALL the time except when using the crosscut sled...Your posts have reignited my interest. Guess I'll have to give it another try..Thanks:D :) :confused:

Ken Milhinch
01-16-2007, 11:12 PM
I have been using the gripper for a couple of years now and I love it. As a matter of fact I just bought my third one. I use it on the TS, Router Table & Jointer. I removed the crappy blade guard from my saw and installed the Micro Jig splitter too. I feel much safer now.

Rich Torino
01-17-2007, 8:53 AM
Keith,
I like the group buy idea... Count me in for one..

Aaron Beaver
01-17-2007, 8:57 AM
Keith,
I like the group buy idea... Count me in for one..

I just want to point out that this Thread was started in 2003, when that offer was made.

Keith Starosta
01-17-2007, 9:10 AM
LOL......

At this point, Mr. Moderator....may I suggest slapping a lock on this thread.......just so's nobody else throws their hat in the ring for the bulk buy?

:rolleyes:

Keith Outten
01-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Henry, the President of Microjig is always willing to provide SMC with a reduced price for the Jigs he sells. If there are enough Members interested in another bulk buy Jackie and I would be glad to see what we can do. I would suggest that a new thread be started to poll our Members to verify how many are interested, the numbers may affect the price so I need to know how many before I contact Henry.

There are two ways to do this, the first is a bulk buy where we collect the money and the Jigs are shipped to my shop for us to distribute.

The second is to ask for a discount from Microjig and have them ship direct to each Member. This method is quicker but it won't have the largest discount.

Either way I can contact Henry and see what he is willing to do.

There is also an opportunity to purchase band saw blades at a discount via bulk buys if there is enough interest.

This thread is closed.