PDA

View Full Version : Cocobolo finishing?

Andrew Roberts
04-09-2007, 10:10 AM
I am working on a small trinket box made from cocobolo and would like a nice glass finish that is also smooth to the touch, not sticky. If you have some special technique to getting this i would be very greatful to hear it. I am kind of limited on my ability to go out and get different finishes, so if anyone has a method that uses "Formby's Tung Oil Finish" that would be amazing.

I have read that oil finishes and cocobolo dont really mix, but I have also read that Tung oil finish is just a diluted varnish, any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I searched through the forums last night and was unable to find the answer I was looking for, Thanks in advance.

Howard Acheson
04-09-2007, 11:20 AM
You have a couple of choices. One is to get a can of Zinsser's Spray Can shellac and spray the boxed inside and out. That will provide a barrier between the cocobolo and any subsequent finish. You can then apply your Formby's Tung Oil Finish which, as you say, is a thinned varnish.

You can also wipe down the wood with some acetone and wipe dry with lots of paper towels. Then immediately apply a coat of the Formby's. This generally works.

The third choice for a small item like yours is to buy some spray can lacquer. Lacquer will produce a nice finish on cocobolo.

Andrew Roberts
04-09-2007, 2:50 PM
What type of results could I expect if I was to let the cocobolo soak in a 50/50 mix of the formby's and mineral spirits? over time would the oils in the wood be replaced by the finish im trying to get there or would it just royaly screw the wood up?

Dave Anderson NH
04-09-2007, 3:52 PM
Not a good idea Andrew. Cocobolo will just stay tacky on the surface forever. DAMHIKT!! A barrier coat of either Zinnser's Sealcoat of any other dewaxed blonde shellac will allow you to put any finish on top without any problems.

If you'd prefer a "close to the wood" look, a couple of coats of Boiled linseed oil followed by some wax will work nicely.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2007, 5:07 PM
Andrew.........one of my favorite bottle stopper and pen woods is cocobolo. My favorite finish.......seal with Zinsser's Sealcoat ? Dewaxed shellac.....then Deft brushing lacquer........The dewaxed shellc will seal it and the lacquer will provide a good looking protective finish. On a box like you're making...spray Deft lacquer might easier to apply. Good luck!

Andrew Roberts
04-10-2007, 1:33 AM
Awsome, thanks alot guys, I will look into putting those on. If there are any other suggestions or words of caution I am happy to hear them.

Chuck Harris
04-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Cocobolo = Seal Coat

Period!

Steve knight
04-13-2007, 1:36 PM
oil and wax work well on cocobolo. and as said shellac does too. myself sanding it to 1200 grit and buffing looks the best. blows away the looks of any finish on cocobolo and it is less work too.