PDA

View Full Version : Nails Found in Plywood???

Jeffrey Makiel
04-09-2007, 7:23 AM
I needed to slightly reduce the thickness of some mahogany plywood. So, I used my random orbital sander to grind some of the surface away. I then discovered these small brad nails just below the veneer. I'm not sure what they're made of.

The plywood was purchased at a hardwood dealer. What's the heck are the nails for? Now I'm wondering what they did to my sawblades.

Has anybody seen anything like this before?

-Jeff :confused:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/NailinPlywood.jpg

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-09-2007, 8:30 AM
Sweet thing to find in a veneer ply. Some creeker found a razoe burried in his MDF while routing a couple weeks ago.

I'm wondering if we should simply boycot the Borgs until they switch to suppliers that have and implement QC~?

Mitchell Andrus
04-09-2007, 8:59 AM
Nails and rasor blades in plywood.... How about a 1/4" x 1" bolt in a sheet of OSB? (I used to have a pic of this on my shop wall, I thing it was in FWW a decade ago) Floor sweepings and misc. cr*p find thier way into everything these days.

Fred Voorhees
04-09-2007, 9:14 AM
I'd like to hear from the guys who were knocking the Borg ply now.

Jeffrey Makiel
04-09-2007, 9:23 AM
For clarification, this plywood was not purchased at a big box. It's from a local hardwood/plywood supplier that carries all kinds of hardwood, hardwood veneers, and plywoods. This 3/4" mahogany plywood costed $110 per sheet.

-Jeff :)

Jim Becker
04-09-2007, 9:31 AM
I am thinking you need to have a "chat" with the supplier, Jeffrey. Although they obviously are not the cause, they are the ones who can give you relief from "defective" product...especially at $110 a sheet!

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-09-2007, 4:10 PM
For clarification, this plywood was not purchased at a big box. It's from a local hardwood/plywood supplier that carries all kinds of hardwood, hardwood veneers, and plywoods. This 3/4" mahogany plywood costed $110 per sheet.

-Jeff :)

Then make him replace it.
$100.00 a sheet you should get decent material, not metal scraps.

Michael Schwartz
04-09-2007, 4:12 PM
They should also replace any saw blades damaged as well.

Scott Loven
04-09-2007, 4:48 PM
Do the brads go through multiple layers, or are they just in 1 layer? I am just wondering if they were in the tree before it was sliced or put in the sheet after it was glued.
Scott

Jeffrey Makiel
04-10-2007, 7:57 AM
I'm not sure how deep they go. I was hesitant to do an autopsy on this piece because I needed it. These nails were discovered at the very end of fabrication of the vanity's carcass. I have a lot of time and effort invested in this panel regarding curved edge banding and grain selection. So, returning the plywood was out of the question.

I sent a picture to the hardwood supplier via an email address that I found on their website. So far, I haven't heard back. I'm wondering (actually hoping) that these nails are made from aluminum and not steel. The good news is that I'm done with the plywood phase of the project, the bad news is that I haven't examined my table saw blades yet.

-Jeff