PDA

View Full Version : A few questions from a new guy

Todd Luginbuhl
04-09-2007, 1:51 AM
Well we have not purchased anything yet.
Many questions, trying to use the search function, but feel I am at the point to just ask.

1. What companies are known for good quality lasers?
I figure Epi, Universal, Xeno, signwarehouse, are there any more companies?
2. We originally looked into chinese Glass tube lasers... anyone using one? Do you like it?
3. Cost I know get as big as you can afford, well we are looking into mainly doing anodized aluminum, from what I have heard, not a lot of wattage is needed, and as this is not our primary business. as for work, well we will find work for it, that isnt an issue.
4. Laser Life, how long will it last? Common 8 hr day use. 5 days a week.
5. Rotary Attachments any do or are they specifically made per machine? Does it interface with the machine on a driver based level?
6. Common recommended attachments to run several different jobs (thoughts like, I could use my laser without this X product or part)

Thank you for helping educate us in short fashion, talking to salestaff is one thing, but actual USERS as you all are, is a huge asset. Thank you for your time, and I hope that at some point we can be on the other end of the stick with you all!

Rodne Gold
04-09-2007, 3:19 AM
I would search these boards and do the same at http://www.engravingetc.org.
Without appearing abrupt or short , all your questions have been asked and answered many times before here , lots of extensive discussions on the points you raise.

Mike Null
04-09-2007, 7:12 AM
My business for the last nine years has been laser engraving. I've rarely had need for the rotary attachment used for round objects such as bottles. Certainly not enough times to justify the cost.

I recently replaced my original ULS with a Trotec.. Lots of research before doing so but am convinced it was a good decision. So put Trotec into your equation. By the way, the ULS was a good piece of equipment as well.

Todd Luginbuhl
04-09-2007, 7:57 AM
Thank you for the website link. I will look into the equipment that you spoke of as well. The rotary attachment I have actually 2 different purpose needs for it, so I may be able to do more than let it collect dust.

Scott Shepherd
04-09-2007, 8:25 AM
I've rarely had need for the rotary attachment used for round objects such as bottles. Certainly not enough times to justify the cost.

While we haven't had our laser long, we've not done a lot of paid work on the rotary axis, but it has, however, been responsible for getting us some very large orders. We did some promotional items using it, and when given to the customer, we got a big order that same day and it opened the flood gate on work we had been trying to get access to. In that respect, it paid for itself many times over, just not in the conventional sense.

Mitchell Andrus
04-09-2007, 8:53 AM
Todd, welcome to the Creek.

Build your business on paper, then buy the equipment you'll need to fill the needs identified. Ask here first, and talk to all of the reps. Many will offer an in-home demo or, send out samples if you'll be dealing with unusual materials. I needed to make a vaccum table to hold down small, light wooden parts that tended to blow off the table because of the need to ventilate.

Many on this forum have a small bed, (relatively) inexpensive machine that is fine for thier applications. Some have a few large bed lasers and still run out of capacity.

I buy my all of my tools assuming I'll grow into them, rather than assuming I'll be growing out of them. I have a LaserPro 18 x 28, 60W machine. It's built with pass-through doors at the front and rear. I rarely use the pass-through, but when I do it helps pay for the extra expense, and that client didn't have to go to a competitor... Buy a bit more than you think you'll need.

Also, the learning curve is in the software, not the laser. If you don't use a higher-level graphics program now, plan on looking at your watch at 3:00 am and being surprised at where the time went for a few weeks. Corel X3 is the program of choice... all major laser's drivers support it, and help is only a forum post away. Engraver's Journal just finished an excellent series of articles on X3.

Todd Luginbuhl
04-09-2007, 11:49 PM
I typed up what the plan of the machine was for, but I dont think anyone would really benefit from knowing...

Anyways I appriciate the help. I think I have more homework on this before I make a final decision.
We almost jumped on a chinese machine with the glass tube, but we just didnt think it sounded like a good idea so we passed on it.