PDA

View Full Version : Which DC to use for Spindle Sander - Cyclone or Festool CT33

Pete Brown
04-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Hi All

I have an Oneida Super Dust Gorilla 2hp Cyclone and a Festool CT33 Dust Extractor. The Oneida does a great job with my tablesaw and a decent job with my router table, and the CT33 does an even better job with my TS circular saw and domino.

Given those two, which one would you connect to a JET JBOS Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sander? The sander DC connection is 2" which would require either an adapter going into my cyclone, or a new hose for the CT33.

Given how I understand the two to work (dust vs. chips, to simplify) I suspect the CT-33 will be the better choice, but I wanted to find out here before I shell out for another hose for the CT or an adapter for the cyclone. The one wrinkle here is that the JET is somewhat open under the table. No matter what solution I pick, I may want to find a way to enclose that a bit.

Purchase price is not the primary concern, performance is.

Thanks.

Pete

glenn bradley
04-08-2007, 11:08 PM
I find a shop-vac type unit to actually do better (visually) on the snowblowers (CMS, drum sanding on the DP, etc.) than the DC. My DC however is only a 1HP. I'll leave it to the wizards to explain if invisible fine dust is being collected better as well.

Dino Drosas
04-08-2007, 11:09 PM
I would definately opt for the cyclone. First, close up some of that open space on the under side of the sander table any way you can; I used masking tape. Make the transition from the 4" hose?? to the 2" as close to the sander as is possible. If you have a long run of small hose it is not near as efficient. I have done this with a floor model spindle sander and collect about 98% of the dust.

Tom Cowie
04-09-2007, 6:05 AM
Hi Pete

Two great DC's. Each has it's own quality's. I use my Jet 1100 to my floor model OSS, works great. it has a 4" opening.

My FIL uses a small hose connected to a SCMS then slid into a 4" hose in a "capture" unit behind the saw. That works great also..

Very nice sanders.. I actually enjoy sanding on mine.:)

Tom

Doug Shepard
04-09-2007, 7:31 AM
I'm still working on my cyclone install so I've never had my OSS hooked to one yet. But I've always gotten excellent DC from my shop-vac on the OSS (Delta BOSS). I'm looking to sell my DeWalt shop-vac as I dont have room to keep both it and the CT33 I got last fall. If I had enough shop for permanent tool locations and duct hookups I'd probably just wire it to the cyclone, but I intended to use the CT33 for any OSS use. I just picked up a larger hose for that. I dont think the 1" that came with it would do that well.

Jim Becker
04-09-2007, 8:35 AM
I do use my cyclone for my OSS (Delta BOSS) but If I moved it to another area in the shop, I'd likely hook it up to my CT-22. It's a 2.5" port, so it can go either way...the CT would likely perform more efficiently due to the nature of dust collection vs vac on small ports.

Jeff Wright
04-09-2007, 8:43 AM
I use a Rigid spindle sander. It's stored on my mobile cart when not in use, but I place it on the MiniMax sliding table and hook up the combo's three inch hose that goes to the blade guard. I use a common household fernco sewer pipe fitting (it's a black heavy rubber-like material) on the end of the hose which fits nicely both the combo saw guard port as well as the port on the spindle sander. I'm using the Oneida Gorilla 3HP DC system. I see very little dust.