PDA

View Full Version : My first pens

Nathan Camp
04-08-2007, 8:30 PM
I decided to try turning some pens. Here are my first 6.

Could use some advice on what finishes hold up in the long run. These were friction polished and waxed.

Nathan

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2007, 9:02 PM
Nice first pens Nathan. I use Deft brushing lacquer frictioned on as my final finish.

Dennis Peacock
04-08-2007, 9:25 PM
Very nice Nathan....keep up the good work. :cool:

Keith Burns
04-08-2007, 9:25 PM
Great pens Nathen !!! They all look good to me !:) :)

Rich Souchek
04-08-2007, 9:28 PM
Nathan,
You're starting to make the slimlines look good.
This websited covers penmaking in general http://www.penturners.org/forum/portal.asp and is probably the best reference around for penmaking. They have a sepaarate section for pen finishing. The pen finishes usually are a CA gule based, some acrilic plastic based, some lacqeur, and a few use some type of friction polish. Ofte, with oily woods or antler, wax is used.
These are all covered at the website above. In practice, the CA finish is fairly fast, very durable, and can help hold together some of the crumbling types of wood. The biggest downside is it's plastic feeling.
Try some of them, and see if you can actually hold some of the different pens to see what you like.
Rich S.

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2007, 9:29 PM
Nice looking pens Nathan! Haven't turned any pens yet myself - so unable to suggest a finish. Good work and looking forward to seeing more!

Ron Raymond
04-08-2007, 9:47 PM
Excellent pens, Nathan. Looks like you're doing just fine with your finishing, but here's a terrific resource...
http://www.woodturnerruss.com/FinishingSecrets.html

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2007, 11:02 PM
The pens are beauties Nathen. Nice job.

Jonathon Spafford
04-09-2007, 12:52 AM
NICE!!! I really like the two on either end (cocobolo and holly?) They look really comfortable... I like the fatter grips! Beautiful finish... all of them!

Stan Cook
04-09-2007, 7:05 AM
Nice bunch of pens. For durable finishes, CA, Enduro, and lacquer hold up well. Whichever you choose, just make sure that you put enough coats on so you do not sand through them to bare wood and get a splotchy looking finish. Friction finishes are not durable and will wear off rather quickly.