PDA

View Full Version : Unknown (to me) Jointer Plane?

Ron Crusee
04-08-2007, 1:35 PM
I usually restore the handplanes that I find at yard sales flee markets etc and turn them back to users.

Not sure if I should do that to this jointer plane. It has Zenith on both the iron and the body. 21 1/2" long. It's in good shape just some very light rust that needs to be cleaned off. Anyone ever seen one of these?

Clint Jones
04-08-2007, 2:37 PM
Yes I have seen plenty. Like you said it should have the same logo etched on the side body of plane. It should fetch around $75 to $100 maybe more depending on condition on ebay. I wouldnt clean it up too much just light steel wool and wipe it down. Yours looks to be in pretty nice condition with correct handle and knob in tact.

Rick Whitehead
04-08-2007, 3:10 PM
Zenith was a trademark of Marshall Wells Hardware Company of Duluth, Minnesota. They were in business from 1888 to 1963.
Your plane was made for them by one of the major manufacturers of planes during that time period: Stanley, Sargeant, Union, or Millers Falls.You can identify which of those companies it was by the shape of the end of the lateral lever. If it was made by Stanley, it has a two piece lever with an attached tab on the end.Sargent used a one piece lever with an inverted "U" shape.Union used a one piece lever with a twist, ending in a 90 degree bend. Millers Falls used a one piece lever with a bent tab at 90 degrees.
For pictures of these levers, and a better description, see Walt Quadrato's website, Brass City Records,http://brasscityrecords.com See "Plane ID" under "Tips and Hints".
I wouldn't be afraid to clean it up and use it. It's main value would be to a collector of that hardware brand, and probably wouldn't bring as much as a Stanley of that size on eBay.
Hope this helps.
Rick[

Ron Crusee
04-08-2007, 3:37 PM
Clint/Rick thanks for the information. This one appears to be made by sargent. Should make a great user.

Ron

Clint Jones
04-08-2007, 3:48 PM
Rick thanks for the information on the line. I do believe it would bring as much if not more than its stanley eqivalent. Just check ebay completed items for "zenith plane". The low end for No.4 and No.5 sizes is $35 the high end is $85. In the condition this one is in I believe it would bring at least $90 if cleaned and listed correctly. It would also make a nice user but I would just sell it and use the funds to by a Stanley No.7 . Just my 2cents.

Ron Crusee
04-08-2007, 3:58 PM
I was hoping someone would have said "wow that's even more valuable than the coveted Stanley #1" :). If it's only worth $100.00 or so I'd rather just keep it and put it back to use.

nic obie
04-08-2007, 8:28 PM
If it's only worth $100 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: