PDA

View Full Version : Optical Mouse not responding - going to "sleep"

Todd Burch
12-25-2003, 9:39 AM
Oh, great computer geeks - I appeal to you today....

I have a Logitec optical mouse, and it has recently started going to sleep after about 30 second of non-use. I've had the mouse for well over a year (several sets of batteries) and the battery replacement test has already been performed!

When it was new, and up until a week or so ago, the mouse was always "ready to use". If I moved the mouse, the cursor moved too. Now, if it sits for 30 seconds or so, it goes to sleep and I have to click either button to "wake it up". And, if I happen to leave it over a link, I get taken to that link, which is annoying. (As an example, in just the short time I've type this thought-out post, it has gone to sleep again.)

Any ideas? We recently installed AIM. Could there be a setting there that would cause this problem? I've also installed Quicktime 6.0 (or 6.1?) and that has caused some problems (I think it was QT) with all the icons on my desktop (win98) to flicker in unison.

Help!

Thanks, Todd.

John Miliunas
12-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Todd, just a WAG on my part, but I've seen QuickTime completely toast its very own bretheren: A Mac running OS-X! That's scary. I'm also NOT a fan of *anything* coming from AOL. Period. OK, with that out of the way, I'd probably do the easiest first. Uninstall each of those applications, one at a time. Be sure to reboot between each uninstall and test it again. If it still exhibits the same anomaly, I would then proceed to the Logitec site and check for recent driver updates. Download and install said driver(s). Heck, even if they don't have updates, I would definitely try reinstalling the drivers for your Logitec. AOL, in particular, has a way of stomping on top of other application files with blatent disregard of their original function. Same thing could have happened with the QT install. If all that fails, write back. There's a relatively painless way to "restore" Win 98 to a previous date, but it's a bit more user-intense. I'd be glad to share the procedure with you if the above fails. Keep us posted. :cool:

PS: Sorry for the "rant" concerning the two apps, but I've just seen way too many things go goofy on machines when either is installed. This does NOT apply globally to ALL machines, but subject to being suspect on many! :cool:

Todd Burch
12-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Thanks John. My first bet would be Quicktime. Check this out - which option would you pick? Not the kind of "warm fuzzy" message that I was hoping for.

John Miliunas
12-25-2003, 12:54 PM
Thanks John. My first bet would be Quicktime. Check this out - which option would you pick? Not the kind of "warm fuzzy" message that I was hoping for.

You see the BIGGEST button there? That's right where I'd head! Question: Is this the "uninstall routine" for QT itself or did you go through the Windows "uninstall programs" menu? The safest way would be through the Windows utility. If either brings you back to the same uninstall box you have pictured, go for the gusto! Keep us posted... :cool:

Todd Burch
12-25-2003, 2:34 PM
Well, false alarm. LOML had put used batteries in it. With a fresh set, it now works fine. I've never had it fail this way, it's always just gone out completely all at once.

Thanks John. Todd.

John Miliunas
12-25-2003, 4:05 PM
Well, false alarm. LOML had put used batteries in it. With a fresh set, it now works fine. I've never had it fail this way, it's always just gone out completely all at once.

Thanks John. Todd.

Cool beans! Glad you got it going. BUT, that *still* doesn't change the way I feel 'bout those two applications! :D (Sorry, just an automatic reaction...) :D

OK, back to the shop now.... :cool: