PDA

View Full Version : Finally Building my Shop!

Ned Bulken
04-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks to a couple of job changes, I'm finally getting around to building my shop! I am going with the plans I have on hand which are for a 12x16' mini barn. Creekers may recall http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34082

Due to a bunch of factors, I never got around to building the shop.

I've finally got funding figured out, so I'll be starting construction on my mini-barn shop in just a couple of weeks. I'm going to increase the size to a 'whopping' 12x20'. Big as I can (barely) afford, but nothing worthwhile is to be had without a little struggle. Pics and updates to follow.

Al Killian
04-08-2007, 1:44 PM
Ned, Just becouse the shop is 12'x20' doesnt mean you are stuck with that size. You can always work out ways of opening the wall up when it is warm and make the shop larger, think slide out camper.;)

John Bailey
04-08-2007, 2:56 PM
Ned,

Way to go. I spent a lot of years in a shop that was about 8x12, so I think you'll find plenty of space if you use your imagination. Keep us posted as shop building is one of the favourite topic around here.

John

Jim Becker
04-08-2007, 5:58 PM
Congratulations, Ned. I know you've wanted to do this for a long time. You'll appreciate that extra 4' of shop, too. An extra 48 sq ft always comes in handy! If you plan for a roof/rafter design that affords some extra height, you can also get a bit of your storage up high, preserving more space for woodworking.

Von Bickley
04-08-2007, 8:53 PM
Congratulations Ned... My first shop was 10 X 16. I'm sure you will be able to turn out some very nice projects in your "New Shop"....:)

Matt Meiser
04-08-2007, 9:03 PM
Congratulations on the new shop Ned. 12x20 will give you a nice workable shop with some careful layout planning.

BTW, maybe I missed it, but what is the new, new job?

Ned Bulken
04-09-2007, 12:22 AM
thanks guys,
Matt, my new job is finally a position outside of the trucking industry. I was getting a bit stale tied to a desk. I will be doing photographs for a commercial real estate interest, cataloguing available properties for them in central and UPstate (for those in NYC I'm talking st lawrence county, not poughkeepsie or westchester) NY. I'll have a cool company car and will be on the road roughly 2 weeks a month , though I bet less than that as I'm very motivated to sleep in my own bed, and most of my territory is a decent drive from home (anything under 4 hours is decent to me) even after a full day taking photos.

Von, I was going with 12x16, so I'm already mentally geared for 'cozy'. My last shop was a cavernous 1200 sq ft with 18' ceilings, but that was a commercial space with rent that I really prefer not to pay. Small and affordable wins.

Jim, you mention having upper area storage, well my plans require a loft over 1/2 of the structure, as they're integral in the truss structure for the gambrel roof as the long or base chord in the truss triangle. Therefore I'll actually have closer to 300 some odd square feet to play with instead of just 240. Some of that will be dedicated to storage, but that's ok, I'll just use the center part for useful space. the shorter areas will be for lumber and other storage.

John,
Pics aplenty on tap, once I get to the sawdust stage.

Al,
interesting concept, I'm thinking of a screened porch for summers, even if it is only for me and my scrollsaw or mini lathe (when I Get a mini lathe, that is... say, what's that really dark spot opening up right over there on the floor.... auuuuuuuugh)

It won't be 'finished' until June or so (finished being a relative term, here meaning dry and secure enough to store tools) I've already got some of the truss pieces all cut and ready to put together, including the gusset support pieces and shorter sections of the truss triangles. I'm thinking about 1 week to get the foundation/floor done, then 4 good weekends in May to get the walls up and closed in, then roof etc in early june. (part of the delay is monetary, I will have to do this as the budget allows me to get supplies of course). I'm going tall, with 10' side walls to the sill plates, plus the gambrel roof. It'll be plenty airy when I'm done.

It is going to be a fun ride, though!

Tyler Howell
04-09-2007, 8:04 AM
You Go Ned.
Size Matters:cool: