PDA

View Full Version : Seeking bench top jointer advice

Bob Noles
04-08-2007, 10:58 AM
I have had the box making bug bite me and I am trying to tool up for the task. My small shop is busting at the seams and I simply do not have any room for a floor model jointer no matter how I arrange things. I do have a flip top table that could accomodate a bench top jointer and eliminate the struggle of having to lift and store the beast.

I am looking at a new model that Grizzly has to offer at this link

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0612

Knowing in advance that I will be working with small stock "only" for this interest, I need to know if these small jointers work well enough to meet the challenge? I will need to have flat boards 2 feet long or shorter and this machine sounds like it would fit my needs. I have a lunchbox planner for thickness planning and about every other too imaginable, but a jointer of some sort appears to be something that would be very helpful. Will these small jointers work for this or are they just junk?

Been wrestling with this decision long enough and need to either pull the trigger or walk away from the thought. Please give me any thoughts you may have that would help me with a decision.

TIA

Andrew Williams
04-08-2007, 11:05 AM
A few good handplanes and a lunchbox planer will do fine. I use that system all the time and it works great. If something is really crazy out-of-whack, i screw it to a board of MDF (with shims) and run it through the planer until i get a nice reference face. I would definitely stick with my routine unless I could get a face jointer of at least 10" (and the space to fit it in). I realize there are ways to joint wider faces on narrow jointers, but they are fiddly, and the "sled through the planer" works just as well, and quicker I think. Be that as it may, a good scrub plane has been generally all I need to complement my lunchbox planer for most wood.

Michael Merrill
04-08-2007, 11:27 AM
I use the Delta benchtop jointer that is about hte same as the Grizzly. For small stock it does work, my problem is pushing the small tool beyond what it designed to do, like jointing something 4-6' long or more sometimes. For what your talking about they seem to do the trick.

I'd probably try to pick up a used on and not invest the money in a new one, and save my real money for a 8" down the road.

glenn bradley
04-08-2007, 11:34 AM
I'll chime in with Michael. Although I realized that for my needs (different than yours) my 6" Delta bench top was inadequate. That being said; if I don't exceed the machine's capability it works very well.

If I was going to go bench top again, I have learned that a cast iron body would be preferable. You can actually pull the Delta sheet metal body out of square (and therefore the tables) by clamping or screwing it down with only moderate pressure. My solution to this is to set the planer on a 'sanding pad'. This works well but again, do not exceed the machine's capacity.

An alternative if you went with the Delta would be to screw it down and then go through the setup procedure, shimming out the alignment errors. Another note in the Delta's favor (I can't speak for other brands, the knives are inexpensive and easy to align. I ran the first set for almost a year till I hit "something". Otherwise I would probably still be on the first set.

William Nimmo
04-08-2007, 11:47 AM
I have the delta bench top jointer and it had been very useful. I just picked up a jet stationary jointer , so the benchtop is for sale. New knives just installed. let me know.

Brian Dormer
04-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Craftsman has a 6" jointer (the one that weighs like 100 lbs, NOT the lightweight one) that is virtually identical (the OEM is Palmgren). It's a very good jointer, once you get it aligned (factory is "pretty good" - but a little hand tuning and you can dial it in better). Rather than pay Griz for shipping - you can make a trip to Sears. Assuming you have a Sears nearby. Bring a friend when you go get it - the sucker is REALLY heavy.

Bob Noles
04-08-2007, 4:42 PM
Thanks for all the great replies and insight. It looks like a benchtop will do the job I am seeking for sure.

Andrew, I do have some good hand planes and look toward doing some of the work the way you described, but due to a medical condition that causes weakness and muscle fatigue at times, I need a power backup for those "off" days.

I think the heavier cast iron machines are the answer, but the Delta may suffice if mounted to my flip top table and I can get one for the right price.

William, I will send you a PM.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind replies.