PDA

View Full Version : For the Kids

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Well guys, this is one of my latest…

“Every year more than half a million abused and neglected children are in need of safe, permanent, nurturing homes. That's where CASA steps in. CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) was created in 1977 to make sure the abuse and neglect these children originally suffered at home doesn't continue as abuse and neglect at the hands of the system.” (from the CASA website, http://www.nationalcasa.org/about_us/index.html (http://www.nationalcasa.org/about_us/index.html) ).

This small vessel is a donation to a local CASA fund-raising auction.
The feature ring is pretty funky, but I hope the message of embracing diversity comes through.

Specs: 11” tall, blue mahoe and assorted woods, finished with General Finishes High Performance satin finish (water based). To give a little size prospective, the little hearts between the figures, are about ¼” diameter.

Happy Easter

Tom Sherman
04-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Very nice piece Malcom, for an especially good cause. Well done.

Jim Becker
04-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Great piece for a great cause!

Chris Barton
04-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Stunning as always! Like Jim said, a great contribution to a great cause.

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Beautiful work as always Malcolm! I am constantly amazed at the different designs that you come up with! Hope it raised lots of money for CASA!

Christopher K. Hartley
04-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Malcolm, it's a beautiful bowl and for a wonderful and needed cause. I like that center ring, it has meaning!:)

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Beautiful piece for a beautiful cause Malcolm.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Malcolm.........Another fantastic piece and it's going to a great cause! Well done Sir!

Shane Whitlock
04-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Malcom I love your work and this one is no exception. The form is spot on and the theme fits the cause perfectly. It will do well at the fund-raising auction.

Charles McKinley
04-08-2007, 9:21 PM
That is too cool! How are the hearts made?

A great work.

Dennis Peacock
04-08-2007, 9:23 PM
Beautiful Malcom......very pretty and very well done. Love the details. Thanks for donating to a very worthy cause.

Travis Stinson
04-08-2007, 9:57 PM
Always a treat to see what you come up with next Malcolm. I hope this does well in the auction. :cool:

Jonathon Spafford
04-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Beautiful piece... awesome work and a great cause! Way to go!!!

Bob Hallowell
04-09-2007, 8:15 AM
You piece is very nice but your Kindness shows through even greater!

Bob

Mark Pruitt
04-09-2007, 8:43 AM
Malcolm, I have a good friend who does a lot of work for CASA. One of the sweetest people you could hope to meet. Great cause and very deserving of contributions. Thank you for doing this for them. That's an awe-inspiring vessel.

Mike Ramsey
04-09-2007, 9:47 AM
Great piece & I applaud you for your contribution to a great cause!

John Chandler
04-09-2007, 9:09 PM
Ditto what everybody else said - great piece, great cause.

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-10-2007, 7:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments

Charles, the hearts are quite a multi-step process. I'll try to explain:

Drilled 1/8" holes in a strip of ebony about 1" apart.
Turned 1/8" pink ivory dowels (cross-grain in order to match the rest of the heart).
Plugged the holes.
Drilled another series of holes with a tiny overlap next to the plugged holes.
Plugged those holes.
Cut off the lower half of the plugs
Glued on a small triangular piece of pink ivory.
Sanded one side and reinstalled a piece of ebony.
Sanded other side and added another piece of ebony.
Rough cut small circles with the hearts centered.
Drilled 3/8" holes in the feature ring.
Held the hearts centered against a waste block with the tailstock and turned the ebony to 3/8" diameter to match the holes.
Plugged the 3/8" holes.

Each small ebony plug with its heart is comprised of 6 pieces of wood. Because all the grain direction is consistent, the glue line don't show. It was a hassle, but not quite as bad as it sounds.

Robert McGowen
04-10-2007, 7:59 PM
It was a hassle, but not quite as bad as it sounds.
The kids would be holding hands with squares in them instead of hearts by the time I finished with it..........:)

Since I guess it will be public information, I would really like to know how much you raise with the piece.
(If it isn't public info., please disregard my rudeness for asking. :o)
You really are taking "turning wood" into the upper end of "art".

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-28-2007, 6:59 PM
I thought that I'd give an update on this donation. My wife and I attended a very fancy (black tie) affair last night where this woodturning was auctioned for the local CASA organization. Very few (if any) of the attendees knew what it was or how it was made, but many of them wanted it. I'm pleased to report that it raised $3900 for a great cause. It was kind of fun to watch people fight over it.

Robert McGowen
04-28-2007, 7:07 PM
I don't know that feeling :), but I bet you were proud of the results! Great job for a worthy cause.

Bob Hallowell
04-29-2007, 7:43 PM
Malcolm,
That was a great outcome. You got to watch God given talents and art bring a nice price and a great charity got a large donation.

Bob

Bill Wyko
04-29-2007, 9:14 PM
Well Malcolm you've done it again. Very beautiful and a great charity as well. CASA also puts on car shows that I've attended for years and I've known people that can attribute their well being to CASA as well. This is an organization that really makes a huge difference in peoples lives. That's very thoughtful of you to make such a beautiful and meaningful piece. (Now if I can just figure out how you did the hearts so accurately:D )

Jonathon Spafford
04-30-2007, 12:05 AM
What a great outcome! Wonderful cause and wonderful work! Way to go, Malcom!!!!!

Ken LaSota
04-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Malcolm great piece an all I can say is you have a lot of patience and talent doing those little figures. Ken

Glenn Hodges
04-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Lot of work, produced and outstanding piece for the children. Thanks for letting us see it.