PDA

View Full Version : Long Metric Machinists Rule - Where to Get?

David Weaver
04-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Good morning -

I'm trying to find a machinists rule that starts at zero (i.e, has no unmarked fudge on the edge) that is marked in millimeters and is about 48 inches long.

A friend of mine has one, but he got it from work.

I need it to be steel but it doesn't need to be rigid, and I don't want to pay the price for a starrett rule at this point.

This is my favorite way to measure things - lay the rule down at the edge, and mark, and the long metric rules are much easier to figure in your head (i.e., what's half of 635 mm - easy, it's 317.5 - that becomes a harder proposition when it's a measure of something like 21 and 37/64th inches).

Anyway, I haven't found one for less than $170. Does anyone know where I can find one closer to the $50 range?

Thanks in advance -

Jamie Buxton
04-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Try places which cater to machinists. Enco is one -- www.use-enco.com

You might also consider rules which are marked in decimal inches. Y'know, so you make a measurement like 23.68 inches. You get the benefits of the decimal system, but you get to use inches. American machinists have been using decimal inches for more than a century.

David Weaver
04-08-2007, 11:16 AM
I've found that what I'm talking about is a 48 inch circumference rule - used by tinners, I guess. That may help to narrow it down.

I'll check the enco link - thanks.

Shiraz Balolia
04-08-2007, 11:28 AM
I've found that what I'm talking about is a 48 inch circumference rule - used by tinners, I guess. That may help to narrow it down.

I'll check the enco link - thanks.

This might be what you are talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Malco-48BS-Flexible-Tinners-Circumference/dp/B000E242P8/ref=sr_1_64/104-5170240-1266356?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1176045800&sr=1-64

Found it by doing a Google search for "tinner's flexible metric rule", and following the links.

Vijay Kumar
04-08-2007, 11:35 AM
At that length you are somewhat limited to Starett.

Be careful about getting one that does inch /metric. In this case the inch graduations are on top and the metric graduations are on the bottom.
And regardless whether you get decimal inches or metric the cost of the rule goes up proportional to length, although you may have better luck in getting a used decimal inch rule

I am interested in a cheaper source as well so please post your results if you find one.

Vijay

Bernhard Lampert
04-09-2007, 2:07 PM
Just bought a set from Woodcraft on sale. Set consisted of 4 rulers (20 to 100 cm). Here is the link: http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=2021
They are made by Groz in India, pretty good quality.
Cheers,
Bernhard

David Weaver
04-09-2007, 2:35 PM
Bahh... exactly what I was looking for, but I just ordered a Malco model 48BS tinners circumference rule - at a cost of $49.99 shipped.

Patience would pay off sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestion :rolleyes: :)

I don't know who Malco is or where it's made, but I don't have any problem with Groz stuff.