PDA

View Full Version : New Powermatic PWBS-14CS Bandsaw ???

Scott Taylor
04-08-2007, 10:00 AM
I just put this BS in service. It's the first I've ever owned. Anyone have a repliable source for getting this thing tuned in? I'd like to avoid buying all the BS books that are out there if I can find one source for what I need.

Knowing that I am a rookie, I tried some test cuts and the blade is all over the place. Proper tension is in place, probably more than necessary. Guards are just over the cut. And everything is square as far as I can tell. I've heard of adjusting for drift, but this drift seems a bit extreme.

BTW, I added the extension block. Don't know if that matters to this inquiry.

Mike Goetzke
04-08-2007, 10:18 AM
The Bandsaw Book by Lonnie Bird and Band Saw Handbook by Mark Duginske are always highly rated - I have the latter.

Mike

larry fredric
04-08-2007, 11:43 AM
BTW, I added the extension block. Don't know if that matters to this inquiry. images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=563681)This has been a problem area with this BS. I took one back due to the grief it caused and got the DeltaX5,with the riser. IF you keep it,GOOGLE powermatic tuneup.
Larry

Andrew Williams
04-08-2007, 1:25 PM
a few questions:

1. is the blade centered on the top wheel?

2. are you using a high quality blade?

I should also add that the guide blocks and thrust bearings need to be aligned before the saw will cut properly, but I think that stuff is covered in the WMH manuals, so forgive me if you have heard that before.

glenn bradley
04-08-2007, 2:42 PM
For the cost of that saw I would not hesitate to return it promptly if there are issues. If it is a PM riser and there are problems, I wouldn't want to be tweaking things myself due to design issues. Let me say though that I put up with a reasonable amount of initial grief on my hybrid but, I got it for a percentage of the retail cost and considered that. there are a number of fine saws in that price range unless you got an incredible deal. As always, JMHO.

Ken Massingale
04-09-2007, 6:33 AM
I was recently deciding between that saw and the Rikon 10-325. After seeing numerous posts about alignment issues with the PM with riser I contacted WMH. This is their response:

Hi Ken,
Thanks for your e-mail. There is a resolution to this issue. When you
install the riser block, you have to align to upper and lower frame
before you tighten the bolt all the way.

I decided on the Rikon, I've just had it a few days but so far I'm thrilled.

Good luck with your BS.

ken

Homer Faucett
04-09-2007, 7:49 AM
I installed the riser on my Powermatic a few months back, and have had no issues. Do yourself a favor and throw away the stock blade, as you can't cut anything properly with that blade. I have a Timberwolf blade on mine and resawed some 4/4 spalted maple to make 1/2" sides for a humidor this weekend.

All the best.