PDA

View Full Version : Software Revsited

Barbara Gill
12-25-2003, 8:04 AM
I was just looking at the Adobe Illustrator information. It is a vector based program. Do any of you have experience with this program? On one site the price was $199.

The Corel Draw 11 is $179.95 The Corel Draw Suite is $280
http://www.softwaremedia.com/corel-draw.html?source=google

If the description is "for Mac/PC" can it be used on a computer that is not a Mac?

These are probably duh questions but I am still trying to get educated. It is almost like learning a new language.

Tomorrow I am leaving for Greensboro. I thought I would stop by Borders before getting to my Mother's house and buy a book on one of these programs. Kieth told me that the Corel was used by most of the laser engravers.

Eddie Severt
12-25-2003, 8:43 AM
Barbara,
I don't know about these programs, but if it says Mac/PC it can be used on either type of computer. Hope this helps.
Eddie

Barbara Gill
12-25-2003, 2:00 PM
Barbara,
I don't know about these programs, but if it says Mac/PC it can be used on either type of computer. Hope this helps.
Eddie

I thought PC was personal computer. Isn't that what a Mac is as well as Apple, Dell, etc? We use windows on our HP computer.

Jason Roehl
12-25-2003, 2:08 PM
I thought PC was personal computer. Isn't that what a Mac is as well as Apple, Dell, etc? We use windows on our HP computer.

Your definition is absolutely correct, Barbara, however, just as Macintoshes have become commonly known as "Macs," all others that run on the IBM framework/Windows platform have become commonly known as "PCs." It's kind of like the whole "Kleenex" thing.

Ted Calver
12-25-2003, 2:41 PM

Barbara,
For purposes of choosing software, yours is a PC.

Regarding software-- I own Adobe Illustrator and the Corel Suite and IMHO for the simple vector graphics I create, both are equal. Corel Draw (part of the suite) and Adobe Illustrator will both allow you to create all the vector graphics your imagination can generate. However, the Corel suite gives you far more capability than Illustrator alone, since Illustrator does not have the photo processing capability that Corel PHOTO-Paint (another part of the Corel suite) has--to equal that you would need to buy Adobe Photoshop$$$. There are also other programs in the Corel suite--Capture and Trace that also may come in handy. I also own Adobe Photoshop and it's a great program, but for the money the Corel suite gets my vote.

Just a note of caution. Corel has lost some of its design focus and competitive sparkle in recent years and was recently acquired by another company. I don't know what the future holds for the program in terms of future development, design innovations etc.

Hope this helps

Barbara Gill
12-25-2003, 3:52 PM
Your definition is absolutely correct, Barbara, however, just as Macintoshes have become commonly known as "Macs," all others that run on the IBM framework/Windows platform have become commonly known as "PCs." It's kind of like the whole "Kleenex" thing.

Ahhh, I see; thank you Jason. :D