PDA

View Full Version : How to serve a 28" fish - in a hurry

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-08-2007, 9:28 AM
So the missus got a whole salmon for Easter. She wants to poach & serve it head and all.

The fish monger took her order, and called us from the docks yesterday morning. She wanted a 6 pound wild salmon. The docks didn’t have any. The docks presented either a 7 pound Arctic Char or an 8 pound wild Alaskan King Salmon.

She went with the salmon.

Then later Saturday sometime she asked me what she might serve it on. She wanted to put it on the table.

“Well how big is your fish?” I asked.

“Oh about 28 inches long.” She replied

“Arrrrggghhh~!! - - - Or - - - - was that “Oh goody~!!”

I think it was” “Oh goody~!!” That evening (last night) I laminated some maple up. Made a 1.50 thick plank and then added 1.5” thick sides just gluing them on. This morning I de-mounted it from the clamps and ran it through my J/P squared and trimmed it on the TS, routered the edges, sanded the glue off, and sanded the thing. Then upstairs for a good soaking in Mineral oil. I think that was the fastest out-put I ever accomplished.

Now we have a 32” long poached fish serving platter made from maple.

Yah I’m sure that was “Oh goody~!!” No pix yet but then I’m still waiting on my pix from the Adirondack chair. And this’ll be a different roll of film.

Art Mulder
04-08-2007, 8:52 PM
She wants to poach & serve it head and all.

Now this is something I just can't understand. Who wants their food to look at them?

Jim Becker
04-08-2007, 9:46 PM
I don't see any poached fish platter, Cliff... ;)

But it does sound like a great project!!!

Gerry Rhodes
04-09-2007, 7:11 AM
Heck with that platter, I want to see the fish!

John Renzetti
04-09-2007, 7:14 AM
Hi Cliff, As Jim mentioned there are no pictures so no proof. :)
Sounds like a nice project and proof you can work under pressure. When you get a chance and may want to add some embellishment, Lee Valley sells some handles that are the head and tail of a fish. They're made in France. Nicely made.
take care,
John

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-09-2007, 8:47 AM
Now this is something I just can't understand. Who wants their food to look at them?

Ha Ha. I do~!! We are members of the great psuedo snobby intelectual, great Big East. So we have adopted all manner of disgusting habits. Not that terribly different from a pig on a spit in a BBQ pit with the head on, or squirrel, or possum, or raccon. Different places have different culinary habits.

I don't see any poached fish platter, Cliff... ;)
But it does sound like a great project!!!

I took one pix. It's still on old fashioned film in the camera. The fish is on the platter.

Heck with that platter, I want to see the fish!
Yup above I got a pic., which I intend to post when - and if that film ever gets developed. I don't have a digital camera.

I am, However, open to a charity drive to get me one. Oh say the Olympus SP-550? Yah take up a collection and I'll always shoot & post timely. ;<)

Hi Cliff, As Jim mentioned there are no pictures so no proof.

I don't need no stinking proof I got a belly gull of salmon~ and happy grand-daughters who had an egg hunt in the yard~!!
Now I'm trying to figure what to do with the rest of the fish - we only ate half of it leaving 4 or so pounds for Salmon Cakes~~??.

Sounds like a nice project and proof you can work under pressure. When you get a chance and may want to add some embellishment, Lee Valley sells some handles that are the head and tail of a fish. They're made in France. Nicely made.

It was indeed fun. Sunday morning had me sanding out the glue squeeze out from the inside corners and spearing mineral iol all over the thing. IT was necessary too. I made it supremely simple with an under cut at the ends for fingers to fet a solid purchase. Quick simple effective and plain in my best dainsh modern tradition.

Tom Jones III
04-09-2007, 9:20 AM
You have made a terrible mistake, the whole point of doing a ww'ing project is so that you have an excuse to buy a new tool so that you can complete the project correctly and/or quickly. Now you cannot use either excuse!

Bart Leetch
04-09-2007, 11:05 AM
:eek: "And this’ll be a different roll of film":eek:

Film whats that even professional photographers are going digital.

No pic didn't happen or did it?;) :D

John Gornall
04-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Make whatever serving platter - but please don't poach a fresh salmon.

Filet but leave skin on

Marinate in a low salt soy, lemon juice, rye whiskey, ground pepper mixture for 24 hours. Perhaps a few favourite spices.

Soak a red cedar plank in water for the same 24 hours

Salmon on plank skin down and into a hot oven (425) or hot bar-b-que with lid closed

Cooks in about 15 min depending on thickness

Wet cedar plank keeps the humidity up while cooking but should dry and be a little charred giving a little cedar aroma to the fish.

Don't over cook - just until thickest part is firm.

Carefully lift from cedar leaving skin behind and place on your fine serving platter.

A little tarter sauce made to your personal taste - melts in your mouth!

But not poached to blandness.

James Carmichael
04-09-2007, 2:12 PM
I don't see any poached fish platter,

Guess it's a just a fish story...the one that got away.

And where's the game warden, with all this poachin going on!!!

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-09-2007, 3:50 PM
Make whatever serving platter - but please don't poach a fresh salmon.

Filet but leave skin on
[...]

Marinate in a low salt soy, lemon juice, rye whiskey, ground pepper mixture for 24 hours. Perhaps a few favourite spices.

But not poached to blandness.

Thanks for the recipie. This one was indeed poached tho'. 'Twas quite good. the Mussus made up this herb and citrus concoction in a pot afore hand and as we had no 28" long poacher ( who does?) I rigged up some heavy duty, extra wide Aluminum foil over a large slab of cast iron on the stove top.

David Dundas
04-09-2007, 5:09 PM
Cliff,

It sounds as though you had a great feast from that fish, but your story seems to confirm my suspicions of your Luddite tendencies that were first aroused when I heard that you were spurning the Domino. No digital camera? Do you drive a horse and buggy? Seriously, I have found that owning a digital camera has enabled me to improve my photography from a pathetic to a very acceptable standard.

David