PDA

View Full Version : buyer's remorse:Jet 1642

Mike Lipke
04-08-2007, 8:53 AM
I'm trying to decide on a bigger lathe, coming from a mini. Just getting started, enjoy the heck out of turning, and the mini works well, but several weeks ago I turned on a large premium lathe, and ...Wow.
WoodCraft is having a sale this week on both Jet and PM.

I can, after discounts and rebate, get a 1642 (1 1/2hp) for $1430.
I can get the PM 3520 for $2520.

I know all the differences on paper: Different swings, more weight, different banjos, more power, stability, voltages, etc.

But man, that $1100 difference is big.

So, here is my question. How many of you out there spinning in the Vortex have bought the 1642, and been sorry you didn't spend the rest of your savings on the Powermatic?

Have any of you actually bought the Jet 1642, only to actually trade up to the PM?

I realize the PM is more lathe, but I've got so many places to use the $1100, on the other hand, I don't want to get the Jet and after using it for a while, rue the day I tried to foolishly save some money, and have to buy the PM anyway, assuming I can.

What do I like to turn? Its all great, but I lean toward bowls.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

Paul Zerjay
04-08-2007, 9:02 AM
Buy the PM. You will not regret it. My jet 1442 was less than 6 months old and I wanted to upgrade. The PM won't be my last lathe, but I don't see myself upgrading for a long time.

Jeff Moffett
04-08-2007, 9:22 AM
Tough call, Mike. I had the Jet 1442 for about a year before upgrading to a Oneway. My upgrade was the result of a lemon machine rather than really needing more lathe at that time.

I'm a big believer in trying to make my hobbies pay for themselves. If pulling the trigger on the PM is too painful financially, I recommend getting the Jet and selling your turning projects until you have enough for the next upgrade.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Mike, I started with the 1442VSK and a year later ordered the Robust 25X28+. I was very fortunate to be in a position to do that and I know not very many are able. The reason I mention it, is that if you really see yourself doing this and have the opportunity and ability the better lathe will pay off for you in the long run. That being said, if you spend all your money on a bigger lathe and can't equip it right with the correct accessories and tools your frustration will be just as great as it is now if not greater.Whether you do or whether you don't...Welcome to the Vortex!:eek: :)

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Mike, only you can answer your question. It really depends upon where you are headed. Over the past 15 years, I have "up-graded" about 5 or 6 times; each time spending more and more and selling off my previous machines for big losses.

Mike Lipke
04-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks for all the input, everyone.
I notice in this thread, and in threads in the past, that many move from the Jet 1442 to bigger and better lathes.
The 1642, however, is so much closer to the PM than is the 1442, yet, there is an $1100 differential.

Paul Engle
04-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Jeff has the right idea , I got my 1236 as an upgraded from a 99$ lathe ala Harbor Freight to do spindles for a customer, well one thing lead to another and .... LOML and I decided to upgrade again but first my shop has to make the money to buy and I will be getting a bigger lathe ,someday. my shop has been profitable in the past which is how i got where i am ( by Gods grace) today. next step is enlarge the shop and start apprenticing my nephew this summer as I have a lot to do and work else where full time. I am hoping next year at this time I can spring for the Oneway so the mods to my 1236 will allow me to get use to spining bigger stuff = more sales= quicker up grade= ONEWAY= happy LOML and nephew ( who will get the 1236 in factory form ) nothing wrong with upgrade , its like being able to chew what ya bit off. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Joe Melton
04-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Do you have a vision of what you will be turning in a year? Five years? If you see yourself still highly interested in turning, I would try to buy the PM. Is there something you can sell and not miss too much to help finance the difference? (There's no market for teenagers at the moment.)
Another thing to consider is that if you buy one lathe and upgrade in a year, if the chucks and other accessories are not compatible you are out even more expense.
Joe

Matt Haus
04-08-2007, 11:03 AM
For me, I wanted to buy my final table saw and my final lathe - the first time. I have this problem that ticks in the back of my mind that wonders if I was missing something or how long it will be to an upgrade. With the PM 3520, I probably won't upgrade for years and years to come and plan on adding an out-board extension should I need to do long stuff. I see your point, the 1100 would go nice in other places. The 1642 is close to the the PM 3520. I would recommend that you use one of each and then decide. If you put a couple of hundred away each month, you will be able to afford either. The anticipation would also make is so much more sweet.

Shane Whitlock
04-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Mike I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago. I ended up buying the 1642 EVS and I love it. I have used it almost on a daily basis and the only complaint I had was a slight vibration at the 800 RPM range. A little investigative work revealed that the belt was just to tight. I loosened up the tension and now it will pass the nickel test throughout the speed range. The PM is a great lathe but with that extra 1100 bucks I was able to get a couple of Nova chucks, a Oneway bowl steady, some nice gouges, enough sandpaper to last me a while, plus a few other goodies and still had money left over for some wood. :D

No regrets here,
Shane

Leo Pashea
04-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Mike, I have turned using the Jet 1642 many, many times. It is a fine, solid machine. IMO, it is every bit the machine as the Powermatic, for a substantial savings. It gets very respectable reviews by many notable turners, including Mr. Grumbine. Unless you can unleash the funds for a Stubby, Oneway or Robust, I feel the Jet will serve you fine until you are ready to upgrade to one of the above mentioned, high end machines.

Shane raises some very good points, and he has the right idea!

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Mike I agree with Shane. I really think the 1642 will last you for many years to come. The only thing I would do is spring for the 220 V if your shop is wired for it. I think if you go that way you won't look back. When I was out at Woodcraft I opted for the Nova because of size. I just could not fit the 1642 in my shop without getting rid of other tools. $1100 will buy a super nice chuck or two and some pretty nice turning tools such as the Ellsworth ProPM bowl gouge. Just my $1.298.

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Mike, I picked up the Jet 1642 EVS last November and love it. Like you I struggled with the decision (for over a year) but decided I would rather have the Jet and start turning than wait for another year only to find that I didn't really need all that extra lathe.

What ever your decision - you will happy. Both are great lathes!

Joyce Baldauf
04-08-2007, 11:43 AM
My husband and I bought the 1642 EVS in October and we both love it. We upgraded from a Rikon midi, which we still use. I think, FWIW, that the 1642 would serve you well for many years and that the $1100 is not worth it considering that the difference between the 1642 and the PM 3520 is just not that significant. In the meantime, you can, as suggested by others, save for a later upgrade to a Robust, Stubby or whatever, all the while making some great turnings and maybe some money too. $1100 ain't nothin to sneeze at.

Dario Octaviano
04-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Unlike the comparison with 1442 (which shouldn't even be in the picture), the 1642 is almost a PM3520 (only smaller).

I am not sure but if you just look at the features 1642 is definitely a great choice...but I believe there are other differences than what is apparent. A simple difference in bearing choice can spell the longevity of your lathe between maintenance. I don't know if this is a fact but I will be surprised if it is not. For sure, that $1,000.00 difference is not just for the 4" swing. ;)

I do agree that if you cannot afford the PM...it is better to get the 1642 now and upgrade later. Otherwise, I would recommend that you get the PM now than regret later. Upgrades can get costly.

Good luck with your choice!!!

Mike Lipke
04-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Steve,
Did you get the 1 1/2 hp model?

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Mike, I picked up the 2 hp version. Figured that I wanted the most power available (same of the powermatic) and also wanted to run it on 220.

Mark Pruitt
04-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Mike
I strongly recommend higher horsepower. If you go with a 1642 get the one with the stronger motor and 220v. I think that the one thing you will most regret is buying the 1642 with the smaller 110v motor.

But to address your question specifically: I weighed the same options you are now considering, and went with the PM 3520 for a few reasons: (1) greater swing, as you mention, but not only that--there is also the option of bolting a bed extension to a lower set of threaded holes provided on the leg, increasing the swing from 20" up to 30" when the headstock is slid to the right end of the bed. Or, there is also the option of an outboard turning stand that increases the swing even more. Those features are not available with the Jet. (2) I truly wanted to buy something that I could consider my last lathe; something that I would likely never outgrow. I knew that if I bought a 1642, even the one with the more powerful motor, I would eventually be wanting something bigger. I reasoned that if I could at all afford the 3520 then it was the better choice, even from a financial standpoint. (3) There are many (I mean many) talented SMC'ers who turn on 3520s and have expressed so much satisfaction with that machine that I felt I could hardly go wrong with it. Not that it has made my talent comparable to theirs, but it has opened some opportunities that were not available previously.

I had the jitters, big time, about forking over the $$ for a 3520. One day I communicated my concerns to Andy Hoyt, and I think what he said to me might apply here. Something along the lines of, "just go for it and don't look back." The next day I placed my order. It's only been just under a couple of months but I will tell you, I absolutely know one thousand percent that I did the right thing.

Sorry to be long winded, but I hope this is helpful.

BTW, before Andy sees this and denies advising me to buy mustard, in fairness to him let me say that I had made it clear that anything in the 5K range was not possible.

Gordon Seto
04-08-2007, 12:24 PM
If you look at the parts diagrams, there are differences on head stocks. Both are under the same corporation, WMH. Lexus and Toyota, Honda & Acura are from the same companies. I think either would leave enough difference so they won't cannibalize their premium lines.

I believe most hobby turners who are not pushing the limits of their lathes' off balance handling capacity probably won't know the difference in their life time.

You are holding the crystal ball on how you are going to use your lathe. With luck (or lack of), you may even get a lemon on the best lathe.

Gordon

Mike Lipke
04-08-2007, 3:02 PM
This is all great advice, and it is good to know that I am not the only one who wakes up every morning with a decision that is different than the day before.
Here is the econometrics on the 1 1/2 & 2hp 1642, and the PM 2 hp before sales tax:

Jet 1642 1 1/2hp $1430
Jet 1642 2hp 1700
PM 3020 2hp 2520

So.......the difference between the two 2hp models is $800
..........between the 1 1/2hp and PM, is about $1100

The sale runs thru this Saturday, so I've gotta decide. I know its mine to make, but I sure do appreciate your input.

Thanks

Jim Underwood
04-08-2007, 4:31 PM
Can't say I've ever made one time purchases near as expensive as either the PM or the Jet, but as a former mechanic, (17 years) I sure have spent a lot of money on hand tools....:cool:

When I have made "big" purchases, the buyers remorse didn't last long after first use of the high quality tool.

Of course I've gone the "cheap" route before and almost always regretted it. Buyers remorse lasts longer than the time it takes to break and replace the cheap tool. Those previous owners of.... uh... "bargain barn" lathes will agree with me.

Now, I'm not saying that the Jet is the "cheap" tool. I've loved my Jet mini, and think it's a quality machine. I will probably always keep it even if I upgrade. I went with it, realizing that I could begin turning sooner, and have some accessories into the bargain, like turning tools, a chuck, and a Triton unit. So in that instance I went with the less expensive, but quality, lathe.

So either way you go, you're going to be farther ahead. I think it's just a matter of deciding what you really want.

If you really want the PM, go for it and don't look back. Enjoy that lathe!

If you don't have the money, and need more accessories, get the Jet, and enjoy the fact that the extra accessories will open up more possibilities.

Dennis Peacock
04-08-2007, 5:24 PM
Mike,

I've bought, upgraded, bought again and upgraded again...I finally broke down and said.....I only want to do this once more and be DONE with it. I forked over the money for the PM3520 and I've NEVER looked back on my decision. It's the first real lathe that I've actually looked forward to going and spending time on the lathe. The Jet is a nice machine, but with the PM you are also buying longevity with better bearings and such. I can only tell you from my experiences.....the 3520 has been one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Jim Becker
04-08-2007, 6:16 PM
For most folks...those who are unlikely to sink $5-6 grand into a top-end, non-mass market, lathe...the PM3520B is about the best machine going. IMHO, it's the top product in its class, no question. If you can "swing" the exta $1100 (or $800) over the Jet machines (which are cousins of the PM), I seriously doubt you'll regret it years from now. That $1100 amortized over the lifetime of the machine is really small... ;)

Dominic Greco
04-08-2007, 10:12 PM
I can, after discounts and rebate, get a 1642 (1 1/2hp) for $1430....So, here is my question. How many of you out there spinning in the Vortex have bought the 1642, and been sorry you didn't spend the rest of your savings on the Powermatic?

Have any of you actually bought the Jet 1642, only to actually trade up to the PM?Mike

Mike,
I was one of the first to buy the 1 1/2 HP Jet JWL-1642EVS (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/6/). For the money, it is one hell of a lathe. And the price you're quoting is an even better bargain that what I originally paid.

Over the past 6 or so years I've received a significant number of emails asking me if I still like my lathe. I actually started saving copies of these emails just to keep count. To each and every person that asks, I tell them that this lathe has performed magnificently. It has handled EVERYTHING I've thrown at it. From large salad bowls to pens, to semi deep hollow forms to bottle stoppers.

Now, the 64 million dollar question: If I had the money at the time, would I have gone for the 2 HP version or even the Powermatic 3520? Damn straight I would have! :D But I was on a limited budget and saved for almost a year to get my lathe. For what I planned on turning, the 1 1/2 HP Jet 1642 was a perfect fit. Money wise and capability wise. And so far, I have not proven myself wrong.

My first bit of advice (which is worth it's weight in wood shavings): If you're at the edge of your budget, get the JWL-1642. You won't be disappointed.

Second bit of advice: Add a ballast box and trestle legs (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/7/) to the lathe. They will make it MORE enjoyable to work on. You'll be astounded at the increased stability and resistant to vibration.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Brad Schmid
04-08-2007, 11:37 PM
I have turned on a 3520 several times, it's a great machine and deserves the respect it gets from everyone here. I like it alot.

Now here's what I did:
I bought my 2 hp 1642 right about the same time Dominic bought his (whats that? about 5yrs or so?). I agree with what he said. Well, except for buying a 3520...;) only because of the bed length and price at the time. Bed length, because in addition to bowls, etc., I turned one piece walking canes at the time, and price because it was 3k at the time and I would have had to add a bed extension at a few hundred extra. The 1642-2 was 2k and had the bed length. It was an easy choice for me.

Since then, I've also turned alot of relatively large, heavy, out-of-balance stuff outboard. At least up to 25 inch diameter. The machine can take it. Come to think of it, I don't recall hearing anyone ever say they have had a bearing failure although likely it has happened somewhere... Like Dominic, I do have it heavily weighted. I haven't found anything I want to do yet that I can't.

If I find myself wanting to do some really large stuff 30 inches or bigger, I'd probably keep the 1642 and add a big, bad dedicated bowl lathe. I wouldn't trade up to a 3520, their too close.

Oh yeah, on the 1 1/2 hp... hmmm, can't say for sure if it would be enough power for what I have done. I've never turned anything big outboard on a 1 1/2... But, I bet it's powerful enough for anything that will fit over the bed.

Reed Gray
04-09-2007, 1:09 AM
Well, as a former concrete finisher, I like things over built rather than under built:PM. As someone who sells, the PM paid for itself 3 times the first year, which wasn't profit, it just paid for all the other things that I needed to turn. I seldom turn anything over 16 inches in diameter, that range is more of a specialized market, and also much more expensive. The Jet will serve you well, and you can always upgrade later. I really notice it when I turn on a smaller lathe (less torque/horespower), I can't hog waste off like I can on the big lathe.

robo hippy

Brodie Brickey
04-09-2007, 2:43 AM
I had a Delta 46-715 (14" swing) and was going to upgrade to the Nova DVR. After tax + outboard turning post and all it was within $50 of the PM so I got the PM.

I think you have to ask yourself, am I going to turn large bowls (16"+) on a regular basis or will I be spending more of my time in the 12-16" range? I've owned my PM for 2 years now (3520A) and I'm very happy with it. I thought I would be turning a lot of large bowls, but I've only turned 2 in the 16" class. Yes, clearance isn't a problem and I love the solidity of the lathe. You can get the same solidity with a Jet & ballast box.

If you aren't rigged for 220v then get the Jet 220v & rig your space up for it. Running 220 can be expensive, so you have to figure it into the equation. If money is tight, get the Jet. If your chucks will translate to the PM without a problem (Got Talon or Stronghold with an adapter?) and you already have 220 in the space and will be turning large items on a regular basis, get the PM.

Have you turned on them both? Your comfort is paramount no matter what we think. If you can turn on them. Call your local AAW club and talk to the president to get over to someone's shop and turn on a PM and a Jet. Are the switch locations comfortable for you? Tool rest and post feel good? Are you in the elder guy category and likely to have problems lifting the significantly heavy tailstock on the 3520?

Time on the lathes will really help you determine whether you will be continually tortured by your decision or extremely happy.

I don't know where you are, but if you're in So Cal, PM me.

Mike Lipke
04-09-2007, 10:12 AM
So much help. Thanks!
Interesting thing is that so far, no one has felt the overwhelming need to move from a 1642.

Don Orr
04-09-2007, 11:24 AM
...happy Jet 1642 ownwer here. I have yet to throw anything on it that it could not handle. I can get a little agressive when roughing out bowls and bog it down, but I have the 1 1/2 HP model. If I had the money at the time I might have gone with the PM 3520, but that money difference went into tools, chucks, etc, and I am set up nicely. Check out Dominics' articles-they are very well done! I've had mine for about 4 years with no problems at all, but I don't use it every day. I do use it hard a lot though. This is a tough decision as they are both outstanding machines.

Good luck,

Greg Stanford
04-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Another happy 1642 owner here, it's done all I've asked of it & I expect to be using it for many years to come.

g

Frank Kobilsek
04-09-2007, 1:00 PM
Like Don and Greg I am a happy 1642 owner. I would like the bigger throw of the PM and will probably step up someday.

Remember there are alot of accesories to buy, if that 800 to 1100 dollars makes a difference on when you can get a chuck, etc. go for the 1642 and you'll be happier.

Frank

Chip Sutherland
04-09-2007, 9:33 PM
Get the PM if you've got an extra $1500 for the accessories. A good bowl steady and captive hollowing rig will run you $800. Forget one chuck....think 3 and a host of different jaws....that's another $500. One chuck is never enough and 3 is just my advice for a starting point. I started a thread on another forum and the concensus was that most turners had between 4 and 6 chucks. I liked the 1642, I had the LOML blessing for the PM but I bought down to the 1442 because neither the PM nor the 1642 were 'enough'. Enough had labels like Oneway, Robust, Stubby....but I didn't have the $$ nor the skill. Turns out in TX it's hard to find wood that's too big for my 1442. On the rare occassion, I'll tap into the local turning networkd for a loaner spin. Call me crazy but that was over a year ago. The only thing is miss is reverse sanding.

Jim Becker
04-10-2007, 9:02 AM
Chip, I'm perplexed about your chuck comments. Are you mixing "chucks" and "faceplates"? An assortment of faceplates is handy, but one chuck with interchangable jaws is really all that is necessary. I don't know many turners who have multiple chucks outisde of one or two that they might have from early purchases that never get used once they buy a higher-end product.

Dario Octaviano
04-10-2007, 9:15 AM
My thinking is get the most lathe you can get now. You can add the accessories slowly after. That is hard to do with a lathe without upgrading.

My hollowing rig is about $450.00 (and it is a captive system w/ laser setup) but the bowl steady which I made cost me about $5.00. Even if you buy the best steady ($100.00) I think $800.00 is way too much.

I only have one chuck (a Talon) and until I decided to do coring, I never really needed another.

Lets just be realistic with the nos and not scare the guy.

Bill Boehme
04-10-2007, 11:22 AM
I don't know any turners who have complained that their lathe is more machine than they actually need.

Bill

Jim Stoppleworth
04-10-2007, 12:02 PM
My second and last lathe is the 3520B(I'm 65 and I don't think my skills or needs will ever surpass what the 3520 can do(it would be nice to be wrong on that assumption.)) That said, I came from a HF34706 that did everything I ever asked of it because I adjusted my way of approaching what I was trying to do to fit the machine.
You've gotten some very good advice here and you have a choice to make. I'm a very happy mustard owner but I know nothing about the 1642. I would add one thought if your choice is the 1642 -- get the 2hp and 220 if at all possible.

Stoppy

Andrew Harkin
04-10-2007, 5:03 PM
I went through something similar a couple years ago, looking at the exact same options. I finally decided to go with the 1642, as I could a lot more easily justify the price at that time, and I knew that neither would likely be my last lathe. Sure, the powermatic would have been nicer, maybe worth the extra change, and could probably delay an upgrade by an additional year or two, but I'm getting along just fine with the 1642 for now, and will more than likely someday (5 years+, hopefully) upgrade to something monstrous.

Dale Gregory
04-12-2007, 8:01 AM
This is all great advice, and it is good to know that I am not the only one who wakes up every morning with a decision that is different than the day before.
Here is the econometrics on the 1 1/2 & 2hp 1642, and the PM 2 hp before sales tax:

Jet 1642 1 1/2hp $1430
Jet 1642 2hp 1700
PM 3020 2hp 2520

So.......the difference between the two 2hp models is $800
..........between the 1 1/2hp and PM, is about $1100

The sale runs thru this Saturday, so I've gotta decide. I know its mine to make, but I sure do appreciate your input.

Thanks

Mike the Jet 1642 EVS 2hp 220v is listed at $2099 at Woodcraft. With the 10% off deal it would be $1890. The Jet rebate is only on the 1-1/2 hp model. so your cost comparison would be:

Jet 1642 1 1/2hp $1430
Jet 1642 2hp $1890 (+$450)
PM 3020 2hp $2520 (+$1090)

Dale

Mike Lipke
04-12-2007, 8:20 AM
The store I'm nearest quotes $1999 on the 2hp 1642.
With the 10 off and rebate, it is $1700 B4 tax.

I thought the rebate was on both models.

Still arguing with myself.

Chip Sutherland
04-12-2007, 11:40 AM
I thought I was nuts, too, but not having the accessories actually hampered my turning projects. Just to validate my thoughts, I posted the question to a similar forum. Turns out that one chuck usually isn't enough.

I have 3 face plates: three 3" and one 6". The six inch never gets used. Face plates have a downside because you know your going to have to hog our the screw holes in the wood. Lately, I've been turning some 5/4 mesquite into change bowls so I had to use sacrificial wood plates with the 3" faceplates, too.

I have 3 chucks: 2 SuperNova and 1 NovaMidi. I tend to have both SuperNova's used. I always have several projects underway (not counting screwup pieces I haven't figured out how to fix). This is most true if i'm turning green wood because I never ever want to have to unchuck green wood and rechuck later...Bad things always happen least of which is warping. When I'm turning green wood, I'm always doing several blanks. That way, I get it out of the way onto the drying 'shelf' and only have to deal with the inevitable rusty lathe ways once. I know the goal is the turn wet wood in a single setting but sometimes I cannot. A second SuperNova can usually be freed up if I happen upon a sweet piece of wood that I just gotta spin up right now.

The Midi serves as my compression chuck to which I can quickly put (differing lengths of) PVC with double-stick tape then finish turn a bowl bottom. Yes, I do bring the tailstock up to hold it, too and only back it off at the very last when I'm adding some decorative rings. I rarely use the Midi for an actual turning chuck. It comes in handy though when I need to turn a quick sacrificial blank. I should add that the my 1442 and NovaMidi have some conflict. The 1442 spindle is longer than the depth of the NovaMidi so I cannot fully tighten jaws down. I always have to plan for a recess or tenon a little wider than the minimum. Nonetheless, it is still a useful chuck on my 1442 (and my Jet Mini).

I have a homemade doughnut chuck but it's too time consuming to mount, switch screws, balance, etc. Never fails that it's not perfectly centered. I have a 3" faceplate dedicated to it. Next one I make I'll swap the 3" for the 6" faceplate since it it largely useless.

I can only dream about a vacuum chuck.

At this point, I have as much money invested in chucks, faceplates, tools, accessories as I do in my 1442...maybe more than the cost of a 1642. But now all I buy is the occasional wood, sandpaper and finishing products. Now I can pay for 2 colleges and 2 weddings....then someday....the ultimate lathe.

Sorry for the long reply....but this is the stuff no one told me about...then again I didn't know to ask either.

Chip Sutherland
04-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Yep, $800 is too much. I was interposing my intended purchases. A steel bowl steady made from a local guy is $300. The captive rig I want is $450 plus extra tips plus shipping is right at $500. Since I don't have $300 for the steady, I'll make one, too....but I am so tired of making jigs....that's why I left the flat world...plus I traveled too much.

Jim Becker
04-12-2007, 2:59 PM
Chip, since wet roughs are going to have to be re-turned anyway, you don't need to leave them in your chuck, thus freeing it up for more work. For a compression chuck as you describe, I just use some turned scrap that is rounded on the end and either glued to a waste block on a faceplate or put in the chuck if re-mounting manually. I keep waste blocks on all my face plates...the screws never go in the actual turning blank, thus preserving their entire depth for the form. All this points out is that everyone works a little different. I have one chuck and it's never been a problem yet for me...and the way I happen to work.

Something else I've been doing is leveraging both a drive center that fits in my chuck as well as a "wood worm" screw that goes in a small hole in the "top" of a bowl blank...these things greatly speed up initial turning and the chuck stays on the lathe until it's time to revers for final bottom finishing. (I use an adapter for that where the chuck can be mounted on the tailstock to preserve the perfect alignment when reversing for finishing, especially when reversing onto a vacuum chuck.

Jim Bell
04-13-2007, 12:44 AM
I bought the 3520. At the time it seemed very expensive. Four yrs later I can tell you it was worth it. The dynamics of turning wood require torque and a heavy machine. The vs 16" jet is a good machine. The PM is just a lot better in my opinion. Either way you will have a good machine.

Bill Boehme
04-13-2007, 1:50 AM
Mike Lipke,

You should read the lathe evaluation article in the latest issue of Fine Woodworking. It covers lathes in the price range of about $1500 to $3000. The Powermatic was awarded the highest overall ranking of the machines tested.They also said that all of the machines tested were very good.

There have been many comments comparing different lathes that only reference swing and horsepower. While those are two important parameters in the decision, I believe that it is too superficial to only look at those two parameters. With a closer examination, it is obvious that many other factors easily explain and justify the wide difference in cost of different lathes with the same swing and motor horsepower.

Fortunately for me there are a couple woodworking stores within reasonable driving distance that afford me the luxury of closer examination. For me, some not always easily quantifiable factors like ruggedness of construction, mass, fit and finish, range of options, internal construction details, and electrical components weigh very heavily in the overall evaluation. I especially like the very heavy duty tapered bearings that Powermatic uses on the spindle that can be adjusted to remove any free play. The fact that they are tapered also means that they can handle much higher axial loads than lathes that do not have comparable bearings. The heavy duty spindle is also a plus for the Powermatic.

Watch out for some of the lower cost lathes with electronic variable speed that use ODP motors. They are definitely not in the same class as the variable speed drives that use TEFC and TEBC motors. Some of those machines also have about as many speed ranges in the pulley drive system as a fixed cone pulley drive system.

Even though somebody with no sense of color styling at Powermatic managed to come up with what is possibly the all-time Guinness record holding ugliest paint to be slapped on a machine, I still have the PM3520 at the top of my wish list. I have several hours of turning on them to reinforce my feelings that it is the one that I want.

Bill

Mark Pruitt
04-13-2007, 9:00 AM
Even though somebody with no sense of color styling at Powermatic managed to come up with what is possibly the all-time Guinness record holding ugliest paint to be slapped on a machine...
Hey! Watch it!
Hartley put you up to that didn't he!!!:mad:

:p :p :p

Mike Lipke
04-13-2007, 5:29 PM
Well, Everyone,
I walked in to Woodcraft today, still not knowing for sure which way I was going to go, but leaning PM.

I just couldn't get that $1100 out of my wallet for the PM, and went with the 1642. If I knew for sure what I would most enjoy turning, I might have gone with the PM, but coming from a mini, I just couldn't pull the trigger on the mustard. Man, what a machine.

Thanks for all the help. I get it in a week or so, and I'll report back.

Bill Boehme
04-13-2007, 5:47 PM
Hey! Watch it!
Hartley put you up to that didn't he!!!:mad:

:p :p :p

Hartley made me promise not to say anything about why I did it or who was the instigator.:)

Bill

Skip Spaulding
04-14-2007, 2:42 PM
Mike, I got a Nova 1624-44 with outboard rest, just got the McNaughton system (standard).I turn almost every day for fun and love my setup, most of my bowls are under 16", 10"-14" range. I was going for the 1642 but this was cheaper and a little smaller. If you are looking to turn for money go as BIG as you can afford, borrow if need be. If you are like me and its a hobby, i can't believe the 1642 won't keep you turning for a long time! Good Luck, Skip

Jim Voos
02-28-2010, 2:28 AM
Well, as a former concrete finisher, I like things over built rather than under built:PM. As someone who sells, the PM paid for itself 3 times the first year, which wasn't profit, it just paid for all the other things that I needed to turn. I seldom turn anything over 16 inches in diameter, that range is more of a specialized market, and also much more expensive. The Jet will serve you well, and you can always upgrade later. I really notice it when I turn on a smaller lathe (less torque/horespower), I can't hog waste off like I can on the big lathe.

robo hippy

Just curious Reed, what are the things you needed to turn in the first year? For 3520 owners, I came close to buying a 3520 last year, but I just can't see myself needing the larger swing that often. I am sure my back wouldn't like dealing with stock that large either :). Am I wrong about this? Do you guys honestly use all the swing the 3520 provides?

alex carey
02-28-2010, 2:56 AM
this thread is nearly 3 years old, its unlikely Reed will see this, you might want to just message him.

Radek Kowalski
02-28-2010, 2:57 AM
Theres a saying, buy expensive cry once, buy cheap cry forever. While both are great choices I think after the PM3520 shows up at your door you will forget about the price difference and be happy.

On the flip side if you get the 1642, each time you try to turn something larger then 16", you will be kicking yourself for not getting the larger lathe.

I think the larger swing makes all the difference because you said you turn bowls.

In the end, both lathes are great but I know there are times I wish I had a larger swing on my 1442.

Jeff Rich
02-28-2010, 7:59 AM
I have a 1642 and it will probably be the last lathe I buy, unless I get another one for the GF to use!
Once it is level it is a very stable machine, it has plenty of power for big wet logs.
The 3520 is a nice machine as well and if I had the expendable funds at the time may have went a step further but I have no regrets.
Think of this, if you get the 1642, you will have money left to get chucks, tools, and other accessories!
You will be happy either way you go.

George Guadiane
02-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Mike, only you can answer your question. It really depends upon where you are headed. Over the past 15 years, I have "up-graded" about 5 or 6 times; each time spending more and more and selling off my previous machines for big losses.

I totally agree here. If you're in this for the long haul, spend the big money once. It will be cheaper in the long run... I have the 3520 and LOVE it, but I have to say, that the 1642 is a pretty outstanding lathe for the money.
I don't turn big that much, so TECHNICALLY, I don't "need" the big lathe, but when a smaller piece is out of balance, it's nice to have the mass.
Other than swing and weight, I think the 1642 does everything else.
When I was making this decision, I fell into enough extra cash that it became a non-issue... I've had the big lathe now for about 5 years and have no intention of trading up. If you can scrounge up the difference, you won't be sorry and it WILL save you money in the long run (IMHO).

Wally Dickerman
02-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Both lathes will be a big step up from what you have now. You'll be happy with either one. I say let your budget be your guide. The $1100 difference will buy lots of tools, chucks, etc.

I must say, I get a bit of a chuckle out of young guys who say get the best because it'll be your last lathe purchase. Baloney! You have no idea what improvements will come with the next generation of lathes. My present lathe, a big Oneway, is my ninth lathe in 70+ years of woodturning. Each one better than the last one. And I enjoyed turning on all of them.

Wally

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2010, 12:27 PM
I hope everyone realizes that this thread is almost 3 years old....

Roger Chandler
03-15-2010, 6:28 PM
There is a new poster on the AAW turners forum that is reporting replacement of 2 motors on his new Jet 1642 evs-2.

In case anyone is interested, as to Jets response, it seem to be good so far.

Mike Lipke
03-15-2010, 7:54 PM
You cannot compare a 1442 to a 1642.
Period.
1642 is a great machine, a 1442 is a good machine.
Variable electronic speed, reverse, LOTS of bang for the bucks.

Roger Chandler
03-15-2010, 8:04 PM

I posted about another motor problem being spoken of today 3/15/2010 on another forum, as current, related to a new purchaser of the 1642 evs-2. I thought it might be something for newer owners to monitor with their machines, in case it might be a development for them.

Jet seems to be aware of the problem and seems to be trying to remedy the problem by replacing the motors.

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2010, 9:46 PM
Roger - you are responding to my post dated 2/28. It had nothing to do with today's post on motor problems - just a heads up for folks checking out the thread for the first time.

Roger Chandler
03-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Roger - you are responding to my post dated 2/28. It had nothing to do with today's post on motor problems - just a heads up for folks checking out the thread for the first time.

Thanks Steve,

I thought I would mention this new purchaser and his motor problems because as of late there have been a number of folks on this forum who have purchased the Jet.

I only wanted them to be aware, and monitor in case they had the same thing develop. In retrospect, I probably should have just started a new thread, as I did not know this one was so old.

By the way, I think the Jet is a good machine [I almost bought one in December 2009, but decided on the new Grizzly 18/47] and I am not trying to "trash" any machine. The only reason I went with the Grizzly was more swing and longer length between centers, and the introductory price also entered my mind.

If you think it would be better to start a new thread with the same info, then I could certainly do that. Thanks :)

Bill Boehme
03-16-2010, 10:03 PM

Will there be a birthday party on April 8? What's would be an appropriate gift? :p

charlie knighton
03-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Mike, what size of wood is avaliable to you??????

Trevor Mulb
07-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Mike,
I too bought the Jet 1642-2 1.5 years ago. It is a great machine with one major (IMO) flaw. The 16 inch swing. My shop does not allow me to move the lathe to turn off the end. I violated my own rule of woodworking tools when I bought the Jet: No matter what you are doing now and what you anticipate your needs are, It is best to buy your best and last tool or machine FIRST, even if you have to stretch to afford it. If you are never going to turn anything larger than 14 inches in diameter (you have to allow for the height of the banjo), then the Jet will be fine for many years to come. If you can position the lathe so that you can turn off the end, then the Jet is more than adequate and will last you for many years to come. I have the 2 hp version and torque has never been a problem.
Bob

John Keeton
07-03-2014, 2:00 PM
Apparently this thread needs to be "resurrected" every three or four years for some reason!:D

Jim Underwood
07-03-2014, 3:49 PM
I might as well pile on...

I responded to this when I still had only a Jet mini 1014. I subsequently bought a Jet EVS 1642 (2HP), and have not regretted it- even though you guys pushed me off the edge with a killer deal from Toolnut; $1600 plus free shipping. It only took a couple years to pay off the wife...

Kyle Iwamoto
07-03-2014, 4:10 PM
I might as well pile on...

I responded to this when I still had only a Jet mini 1014. I subsequently bought a Jet EVS 1642 (2HP), and have not regretted it- even though you guys pushed me off the edge with a killer deal from Toolnut; $1600 plus free shipping. It only took a couple years to pay off the wife...

More piling on. I also remember this thread, and in fact, this is one of the threads that helped make my decision to get my 1642-2, for a bit more than Jim paid. No regrets or remorse here. Cracks me up that it does pop up every few years.