PDA

View Full Version : Osborne Miter Gauge?

Clint Winterhalter
04-08-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm getting ready to buy a new cabinet saw (thanks again for everyone's guidance!) Norm uses an Osborne miter gauge.. Is it worth it?

Az Fred
04-08-2007, 12:05 AM
I have and use the Osborne EB-3 on my Uni

It's not a slider.

It takes much less space and does almost the same tasks!

Fred Floyd
04-08-2007, 2:21 AM
I have the Osborne EB3 and the Jointech SmartMiter. I use the Osborne EB3 99% of the time.

Mike Heidrick
04-08-2007, 2:46 AM
I'm getting ready to buy a new cabinet saw (thanks again for everyone's guidance!) Norm uses an Osborne miter gauge.. Is it worth it?

It looks good. The EB3 was about $250-$300 when it was made in Canada. Now it is $99 and made offshore but have not heard any complaints with new standards. Find the CA model if you can - time tested trusted design.

scott spencer
04-08-2007, 6:29 AM
Hi Clint - My Canadian made EB-3 had numerous issues that Osborne's CS was none to eager to remedy. At the time, those issues weren't an isolated incident either. Several folks posted with similar problems. After more than a year and 3 defective gauges, I read a post from someone who posted the part numbers that he replaced. I skirted Osborne and called Excaliber's CS, and requested the parts....they were sent and the gauge is now functional. The gauge is now made overseas, and perhaps the systemic issues have been ironed out.

The EB-3 is easy to use once adjusted, but is a fairly complex device. I also have an Incra gauge that's extremely simple and a pleasure to use. I tried a friend's Woodhaven Deluxe and was blown away by the build quality and simplicity of it. I recently picked up a Woodhaven made "Jet" Deluxe gauge based on my impression of the Woodhaven. I'll suggest taking a look at either the Incra 1000SE or the Woodhaven also. Others speak highly of the Jessem but I haven't toyed with one yet.

Good luck with the new saw and the miter gauge!

http://www.epinions.com/EB3 (http://www.epinions.com/content_213366771332)
http://www.epinions.com/Incra V27 (http://www.epinions.com/content_195368423044)

Rick Moyer
04-08-2007, 7:27 AM
I recently got the Osborne EB3. I think you can still get it for about $99. I wouldn't worry about Canadian vs. import, some of the earlier ones were the ones that may have had some problems and they were probably made in the USA. (Originally the Osborne was mfg'd in PA, then they couldn't keep up with demand and tooling on the newer models, so were subbed out to General, I believe. Don't know if they are still being made by General in Canada or elsewhere, but I think still in Canada). I haven't used it much at all yet but did set it up and adjust it (simple). I opted for this one over some of the others as I don't do alot of odd degree cuts and liked the idea of extending the fence. It seems to be a good miter gauge. I read the reviews that Scott linked for you prior to purchasing, but felt that any issues were probably resolved and so far I am pleased with my decision. I also sent an email to Osborne and received quick response, so I suspect maybe the CS is better now too?!

Chris Barton
04-08-2007, 7:57 AM
For what its worth, in a review of miter gauges that I believe was published last year or so, the EB did poorly. I think the review was in FWW but, I'm not certain. Some of the tools "his Normness" choses to use aren't always the best available. If you have a Woodcraft, Rockler, or other such store in driving distance I would suggest going there and looking them over very carefully. If I recall this article correctly (and that's hard for me to do since I subscribe to about 6 woodworking mags) the Incra base model was very highly rated, even more so than the top line Incra. Personal preference usually has a lot to do with your choice and you should like the way one works.

Leo Pashea
04-08-2007, 8:06 AM
I had the Osgorne EB, and sold it after I had the chance to use an Incra 1000SE. The Incra blew me away with the simplicity and consistancy. I had no issues with the Osborne unit, I just prefer the Incra.

Joe Spear
04-08-2007, 9:35 AM
I had the Osborne for about a year and decided I didn't care for it. If I needed an angle besides the ones it had detents for (90, 45, and a few others), I was never sure if the pointer was in the right place. I now have an Incra 1000 and a Woodhaven Smart Miter. I love both of them.

Paul Douglass
04-08-2007, 11:49 AM
I have had the EB-3 for about three years now. I'm not crazy about it and as soon as I find a way to sneek it in the house I'm getting a woodhaven. There is a guy on the woodnet forum that has the delta knockoff of the woodhaven for sale of $60. His username is EZEZ.

Randy Johnson
04-08-2007, 1:38 PM
I have both the Incra and the Osborne. The only place the Osborn is better is for repetitive cuts because there is a little more capacity. In all other respects I think the Incra is a better choice.

Bill Huber
04-08-2007, 8:10 PM
I can only talk to it, I have never use any of the others.

I really like the EB-3 and the way its built, very well and it is also is very easy to use. I don't do a lot of angles that are not on stops so that is not a problem.
It is very fast to change angles or to change sides. It is long and when using it on a 4 foot board it is really nice.

The stop is really nice and can be used all the way out with the extension.
I guess bottom line is it is very heavy and built very well, I am sure that others are also. It works great for me and handles the things I use it for just great and I could ask for nothing more.

Gary Keedwell
04-08-2007, 8:34 PM
My Dubby is at least 15 years old and I will probably use it till I die. Has the original wood fence ( I think they are made of aluminum extrusion, now) and still cuts accurate miters.

Gary K.;)

Az Fred
04-08-2007, 8:59 PM
FWIW.......
The history is that the EB-2 was a big success in spite of some small short commings and when redesigned as the EB-3 there were some problems at the outset. Manufacturing was taken over by Sommerville, better known as Excalibur in Canada and the problems were ironed over a fairly long time period but well under a year. The problems were very famous! I have the Canadian version made by Excalibur and never had a bit of trouble with the guide. The first time or two that I tried moving the rig from left of the blade to the right of the blade on my Unisaw it seemed like a chinese fire drill as they were called but after getting accustomed to it the EB-3 is a piece of cake and as accurate as you could want. Sommerville went BK about a year or so ago and General took over many of the products such as the overarm guard and slider. I lost track of the details including the move to off shore of the EB-3 and the Merlin splitter whose product roll out wasn't quite complete when Sommerville failed. The EB-3 in the long run is a better tool than some of its reputation. IMHO

Kyle Kraft
04-09-2007, 12:29 PM
I have the Osborne EB-3 and have had none of the above issues. It works great for what I do and have no complaints as far as adjustment, use or accuracy. Maybe I'm just a crude woodbutcher:rolleyes:

Paul Douglass
04-10-2007, 12:07 PM
I have the Osborne EB-3 that I bought in 2003. I have been using it on my new saw and it seems to work better. My fence on it is in pretty bad shape so I thought I would see what that part cost. I searched online, and found the manufacture website. I have e-mailed and called with no response. I look around and everywhere I look where they sell them it says temporary out of stock or no longer available. Anyone know the latest on them and if parts are still available?

Thanks

scott spencer
04-10-2007, 3:50 PM
I have the Osborne EB-3 that I bought in 2003. I have been using it on my new saw and it seems to work better. My fence on it is in pretty bad shape so I thought I would see what that part cost. I searched online, and found the manufacture website. I have e-mailed and called with no response. I look around and everywhere I look where they sell them it says temporary out of stock or no longer available. Anyone know the latest on them and if parts are still available?

Thanks

The manufacturing went to Excalibur in Canada about 3 years ago, and Excalibur went under about 1 year ago. I believe General International bought Excalibur, so you might have some luck checking with them.

Paul Douglass
04-10-2007, 6:58 PM
The manufacturing went to Excalibur in Canada about 3 years ago, and Excalibur went under about 1 year ago. I believe General International bought Excalibur, so you might have some luck checking with them.

I have already e-mailed them but haven't heard back yet. I guess that means so much for the lifetime guarantee, huh? I'd really like to replace the fence if it is feasible because the bottom of is scraped up and it is scratching my new saw. I sanded it and that helped but still... I'm getting closer to a Woodhaven:rolleyes:

Brian Penning
04-10-2007, 7:09 PM
Another satisfied EB-3 owner here. The price drop helped make the decision to get one that much easier.
A review here..http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/osbrneb3.html

Jim Heffner
04-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Clint, I was on "The New Yankee Worshop" site some time back, and that same basic question was asked of Nahm about his using the EB-3, he said it was a good system, and to a point he liked it but had changed back to his Delta that he had been using because he liked it better.

I have the Incra V-27 and love it! IMHO, it is the best of the lower priced miter gauges on the market, if you set it up according to the mfg. guidlines and adjust all 4 of the adjustment discs...this gauge will perform
with the best of them and it will stay that way! Simple, rock solid, easy to use and reliable. Jim Heffner

Paul Douglass
04-14-2007, 11:23 AM
I have already e-mailed them but haven't heard back yet. I guess that means so much for the lifetime guarantee, huh? I'd really like to replace the fence if it is feasible because the bottom of is scraped up and it is scratching my new saw. I sanded it and that helped but still... I'm getting closer to a Woodhaven:rolleyes:

Just an update, I recieved a response from Dave Osborne. I will be ordering a new fence from him. They are $37. I am going to put UHMW tape on the bottom of the new fence!

Rod Peterson
04-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Clint, I was on "The New Yankee Worshop" site some time back, and that same basic question was asked of Nahm about his using the EB-3, he said it was a good system, and to a point he liked it but had changed back to his Delta that he had been using because he liked it better.

Jim, I believe you have confused "miter gauge" with "fence." Although Norm has used his Delta miter gauge on several occasions, he has primarily used an after market miter gauge on most of the episodes. First was the Anglewright AW-30, then the Osborne EB-2, and now the Osborne EB-3.

The language you quote from the site refers to his use of the Biesemeyer fence in early episodes (even before the new Unisaw showed up in '94), which was replaced by the Unifence (OEM on new Unisaw). He used that for five years and then went back to the Bies. The correct quote as to why is "it's easier to attach jigs to."

Richard Butler
04-15-2007, 1:29 AM
I ordered a new EB3 tonight and then saw this thread. The website says backordered. We will see how long it takes to get here.

Paul Douglass
04-15-2007, 9:54 AM
I ordered a new EB3 tonight and then saw this thread. The website says backordered. We will see how long it takes to get here.

Where did you order it from? I just ordered a new fence for my EB-3 after corresponding with Dave Osborne via e-mails, but I am still not sure who I am dealing with company-wise. Looks to me like General International carries them but the e-mail address and phone number I used came from the Osborne website. It said all parts were temporarily out of stock but when I talked to them on the phone the lady said it would be shipped Monday 4/16

I think you will really like the miter gauge by the way.

Tim Dorcas
04-16-2007, 12:03 AM
I have the EB-3 and really like it. For 100 bucks I think it's a no brainer.

Ed Falis
04-16-2007, 4:54 PM
I've had the EB-3 since shortly after it came out a few years ago. Never had a problem with it. I only wish its scale were longer.

Does pay to check its calibration now and then as its cursor is the left end of the nut on the stop (at least the way I have it set up), and the stop mechanism occasionally needs tightening up. Very easy to adjust and calibrate, though.

That Dubby is still intriguing, though...