PDA

View Full Version : Blast gates for metal pipe

Al Killian
04-07-2007, 9:25 PM
Hello, I am looking for pics and ideas on how to make blast gates for use with metal blast gates. I just finished running all the 6" pipe thru the shop and need to make a few blast gates to finish it off.

Jim Becker
04-07-2007, 9:33 PM
Al, you can build them in the same way that folks have done so for PVC systems, substituting metal for the guz-inta and guz-outa side components. The remainder can be plywood, MDF, or whatever you want to use. Frankly, if I didn't already have the commercial ones I own, I'd build them. The commercial gates restrict the diameter of the duct due to their "insert inside the pipe" design. Building your own solves that issue. Check out Terry Hatfield's gate designs...he's a member here at SMC and you can get to him via the member directory.

Doug Shepard
04-08-2007, 7:58 AM
Took me a while to find it, but Ted C posted a pic of a pretty cool design a while back
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=490194&postcount=27

Scott Taylor
04-08-2007, 9:29 AM
Al,

If you don't have the time to fabricate gates, check out The Blast Gate Co. (http://www.blastgateco.com). Their castings are apparently from the same molds that other companies are using to sell their gates at $11-13 a pop. He said he has an importing deal of some kind in Canada that lets him sell them cheaper; $3.95 for a 4" Alum when I bought. They're now up to $4.34, but that's still a good price. I outfitted my entire shop with them and they work great. 4" sewer PVC fits perfect over them and I attached with 4 rivets on each side and sealed the rim. I don't own any of the steel versions that they also sell, but they do appear to have less internal intrusion as Jim spoke of. But you might consider them to use as temps until you fabricate something as they are cheaper than anywhere I could find.

Scott

Al Killian
04-08-2007, 1:28 PM
Thanks for the help. I found the ones I am going to make. They where made by Boyd Gathwright. Heres the link http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7761

Jim Becker
04-08-2007, 2:06 PM
Yup, those are pretty much what I was trying to describe...poorly, unfortunately. If I werer doing it over again, mine would be very much like Boyd's.

Fred Voorhees
04-08-2007, 3:03 PM
Al, you can build them in the same way that folks have done so for PVC systems, substituting metal for the guz-inta and guz-outa side components. The remainder can be plywood, MDF, or whatever you want to use. Frankly, if I didn't already have the commercial ones I own, I'd build them. The commercial gates restrict the diameter of the duct due to their "insert inside the pipe" design. Building your own solves that issue. Check out Terry Hatfield's gate designs...he's a member here at SMC and you can get to him via the member directory.
I will put a vote in for Terry's style of blast gates. I used his plans and I absolutely love them. ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM!!!! They were very easy to build and not very expensive at all, and further, I beleive they work just as well, if not better, than any you can purchase! I will back that with a guarantee! Maybe I'll go search for a picture of them and post it here later.

Fred Voorhees
04-08-2007, 3:04 PM
Looking at Boyds design, they are much like the design concept of Terrys. Both would do you well.

Fred Voorhees
04-08-2007, 3:13 PM
Here are a few pics of my rendition of Terry Hatfields style.

Al Killian
04-08-2007, 9:30 PM
Fred, What is the name of those metal pieces of pipe/ I am going to call the local hardware store down in town and would like to know what the are called. Thanks all for your time and help.
Al

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2007, 9:32 PM
Al...if my memory serves me correctly those are called collars.

Jim Becker
04-08-2007, 9:43 PM
Al, don't call the hardware store. Call an HVAC supplier... ;)